PDA

View Full Version : New race atv made in the us?

12-31-2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=EF1E7275A01745AAA41D9793FCF25626

What do you guys think? It could be a spoof but it would be pretty neat if it was for real.

Personally it seems fishy to me because the plastics dont look very new and its got the 250r looking plastics and the kenda klaws arent even the new ones so thats kinda weird too.

Pappy
12-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Too far away for April fools jokes...so I would say it has merit

Looks like a Cannondale inspired frame.....

I know one thing, there had better be a smoking hot blonde that comes with any first year ATV before I buy one again.....that way I atleast have something to ride when the POS is broke:eek: :p

JR3
12-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Too far away for April fools jokes...so I would say it has merit

Looks like a Cannondale insprired frame.....

I know one thing, there had better be a smoking hot blonde that comes with any first year ATV before I buy one again.....that way I atleast have something to ride when the POS is broke:eek: :p

not just the fame pap. the whole bike almost likes identical to a c dale. we know how reliable they were:rolleyes:

rollie
12-31-2009, 06:40 PM
well the motor looks nothing like a c'dale, but dual exhaust's it kind of dumb i think, haha and they should have used c'dale plastic! it looks like allll after market to me, haha

JR3
12-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by rollie
well the motor looks nothing like a c'dale, but dual exhaust's it kind of dumb i think, haha and they should have used c'dale plastic! it looks like allll after market to me, haha

that is true rollie i take back what i said

yellowzo3
12-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Its a Cannondale with a 250r kit and a different motor.

But if it does come with all aftermarket parts like that then the price is going to be through the roof. I doubt they'll sell many.

Reasons for low sales:

-High Price
-New to the market
-Questionable Reliability
-Availability

Just my guess haha but it does look insane

http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/Media/News/PC152042.jpg

Edit*- A pic of the engine... or what the engine basically looks like at least.

http://image.dirtrider.com/f/8976036/141_0511_milan_15_z.jpg

yellowzo3
12-31-2009, 07:22 PM
A quote from the article

"It is a six-speed with EFI and a very complicated electronic brain that keeps track of every rpm that the motor turns from the first time it’s started. It even has a G-meter that remembers how hard it landed from each jump"

Are they looking for trouble? Why do they feel the need to over complicate things with that junk? If that system fails there's no way you could fix it in your garage. You'd have to bring it to the dealer and I bet they charge you big $$$ because they're going to have to go into the computer in the quad, check everything, reset blah blah blah

ryan243
12-31-2009, 08:41 PM
id ride it if someone gave on to me haha
looks like it could be cool

woodsracer144
12-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
A quote from the article

"It is a six-speed with EFI and a very complicated electronic brain that keeps track of every rpm that the motor turns from the first time it’s started. It even has a G-meter that remembers how hard it landed from each jump"

Are they looking for trouble? Why do they feel the need to over complicate things with that junk? If that system fails there's no way you could fix it in your garage. You'd have to bring it to the dealer and I bet they charge you big $$$ because they're going to have to go into the computer in the quad, check everything, reset blah blah blah

oh thats just hte tip!

"It can be a 450 with mild output or a 70-horsepower 507."

507 Hp out of a single cyl? pass me the **** their on cause i'll be rich!

its a good lookin quad but i think theres something up with it... those are 100% 250r plastics... it would beweet if they made a OE style... i think those are fullbores... i wonder if they got a deal with them?

rollie
12-31-2009, 10:15 PM
i think it means a 507with 70 horsepower haha

Yeah the only thing that looks like highland actually made is the motor, the rest is all off different bikes

woodsracer144
12-31-2009, 11:10 PM
well they worded that stupid!

agreed rollie! looks like just the motor, i wonder how it is under the seat cause the C dale had the tank there... the intake was in front..

kfx400rider03
12-31-2009, 11:47 PM
its a nice quad but it wont last long. the economey is bad and they probaly want sell amny and will have the same problem as the ktm quad.
its a nice quad and all but i feel it just wont make it in the wirld today wish it would but it wont

motoguy450r
01-01-2010, 11:08 AM
how many ppl actually have the funds to buy a new quad anyway and if they do they are not gonna buy one they have never heard of. if these guys were involved with cdale then they will think its mx worthy from the factory and want like 12 g's for it. i wish em luck but they probably wont ever have to worry about one sitting in my garage.

C41Xracer
01-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Was there an actual cost in that article? I didn't see it. If it was 12k for a fully
Aftermarket quad like pictured that's not that bad at all. Ill be shocked to see
If it makes it to the market.

yellowzo3
01-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by C41Xracer
Was there an actual cost in that article? I didn't see it. If it was 12k for a fully
Aftermarket quad like pictured that's not that bad at all. Ill be shocked to see
If it makes it to the market.

Nope no price. I checked Highlands site as well and the only info they have on the quad is a link to that dirtwheels article. They have their own version of the Cannondale bike too.

backwoodsracer
01-01-2010, 03:47 PM
i think i just came a little... :D

motoguy450r
01-01-2010, 04:03 PM
no it didn't say a price, i'm just saying they would be proud of it, i wouldn't give that much for a new quad from a new company, bad price or not i'll stick with who i know and who has been around awhile.

C41Xracer
01-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Sometimes different is a good thing. I would ride it that's for sure, I owned
A cannondale and would own another

C41Xracer
01-01-2010, 04:07 PM
What's the website?

bustedknuckle
01-01-2010, 04:48 PM
hate to say but kawi makes its quads in the us.like most other copanys.

ikas
01-01-2010, 05:29 PM
The Folan motors are amazing! They use them for sidecars and twin road racing.

jcv400ex
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
I too would own another Cannondale. But that frame is all Cannondale, looks like the front end was pushed forward an inch or two, and it def. has the 250r kit. Looks like a 12,500 quad, along the lines of the Cannondale Moto. Motor looks expensive though...

And Kawasaki quads are ASSEMBLED in the USA. That's all. The engineering and key components come from Japan...US buyers have little say in what they can buy in the US.

ikas
01-01-2010, 05:43 PM
http://www.ushighland.com/

It is a true story look at News release.

Sjorge450R
01-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Didnt really read through the whole article but like others have said. It is definetley 250r front plastic, Cdale frame and then that swedish motor. What kinda of manufacturer/shock company would allow another companys shocks to be paired with anothers on the same atv to be sold from a dealer? that doesnt make sense to me.

bustedknuckle
01-01-2010, 06:20 PM
some truth,in that .harleys have some overseas parts.not much of anything is totaly from the us.the frame for the kawi 450 was designed by some us builders.its a shame, but i dont believe much is totaly built in the us..

woodsracer144
01-01-2010, 07:47 PM
i dont think it was a bad quad, i wonder if it has dual exhaust? IMO as a racer that woul be really stupid cause its just abouther 8lbs... or more... i kind of wonder how they get all the parts off the other quads and not get a lawsute from other factorys... I.E. honda, ATK...

extremeblastr
01-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i dont think it was a bad quad, i wonder if it has dual exhaust? IMO as a racer that woul be really stupid cause its just abouther 8lbs... or more... i kind of wonder how they get all the parts off the other quads and not get a lawsute from other factorys... I.E. honda, ATK...

those are not honda plastics they are fullbore honda style plastics, that also does not appear to be a carbon copy of the atk frame just very much like it and those are the only parts i saw that could be mistaken for "borrowed"

rollie
01-02-2010, 09:20 AM
i compared the frame with a c'dale frame and it looks identical, only difference is the lower frame rail is bent a little to fit the motor.

ikas
01-02-2010, 09:26 AM
In the bike AMA supermoto series the Highland has been racing in the name off ATK but now they call them Highland.

Brad77
01-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
I too would own another Cannondale.

Wow, I never thought I would see these words.

I remember you saing things like.

quote:

"I just don't understand why someone would dump sooo much money in a majorly flawed, ill handling, underpowered 450 that hasn't been produced since 2003 was it?"

"I could go on and on and on......I've been there done that with Dales....got smart and sold it while it was still worth something."

"On the handling part.....if you think the cannondale is a great handling machine, then you haven't ridden enough 4 wheelers."

TRXman86
01-02-2010, 09:21 PM
It's based out of the C-Dale camp and I hear C-dale is working real close with them on it. To be honest, it looks more like a cheap quad you get as soon as you start out on ATV Offroad Furry... GAR-BAGE

rollie
01-02-2010, 09:29 PM
if i remember correctly c'dale had/has an extremely bad taste in there mouth because of what happened to there Motorsport side of the company, and they said they would never be interested in anything to do with it again, could be wrong though!

woodsracer144
01-02-2010, 10:19 PM
i'll agree with you, that motor looks like a pile of dog *****

jcs003
01-03-2010, 03:00 AM
people want to build their own race bikes. why spend $12k or so and have the quad not be right for you. they are throwing out names like ohlins and if it goes into production i would be shocked to see those suspension components on the bike.

as for canondale. they were over priced aluminum scrap in my opinion.

ikas
01-03-2010, 05:56 AM
The story of Folan

The story begins with a garage company Motorfirma Lars Nilsson , run in a garage by Lars Nilsson, tuning and maintaining Porsche Race engines and selling and servicing Öhlins gas shocks.

As one client team went in to Formula 2 car racing, the idea of making a 2-stroke car engine was borne. This engine was an inline 5 cylinder 2000cc 2-stroke !! and 2-strokes were banned from car racing as it appeared on the international race tracks. This engine, being a module build was cut down to 2-cylinders and used in sidecar motocross, equipped with a Quife gearbox.

Folan AB was founded 1982 by Professor Fredy Olsson and Lars Nilsson to develop combustion engines for small volume markets. The first project to become a product was an engine developed to replace the Yamaha 750s in sidecar motocross. While the Yamaha was a tunned 4-stroke street engine the Folan was a 1000cc 2-stroke twin , now including gearbox. Cylinders came from Husqvarna 500cc motocross engine, and Development Engineer Urban Larsson at Husqvarna followed the project.

A few years later Husqvarna was sold to Italy and Engineers Lars Nilsson and Urban Larsson teamed up to design a new breed of motocross / enduro 4-stroke engine. Targeted t have similar weight and power as a 500 cc 2-stroke motocrosser. This project called "the lightweighter" was sold to a new formed company called Husaberg and they continued development of chassis and engine. Folan worked as a supplier and subcontractor to Husaberg for some time.

Folan went on to develop a 2-cylinder version of the "lightweight engine". This was a 60-deg 2 cylinder 800cc 4-stroke engine. For this engine new double overhead cams was developed, and a dry clutch. Folan worked with a number of motorcycle builders around this engine. Mainly around concept bikes. 19xx this engine design was taken over by newly formed motorcycle company Highland motors, who still use this concept in a developed form.

ikas
01-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Highland Group AB was helping a customer of theirs to create an All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV), a project Highland has never been involved with before. For the wishbone arms of the wheel suspension, traditional manufacturing methods and tubes with cylindrical or square shaped cross section was preferred. We performed a simulation where the ATV was driving on a bumpy road too see the forces involved. With the results we proceeded to calculate the strength of the concepts to find out which is best suited for the tough environment in which the ATV is used. The concept that turned out to be the best was a wishbone made of circular cross section, which had good structural strength and did fulfill the demands that we required for the construction. The company where interested in the project and could see themselves proceeding with the work in the future. We helped the company to find interest for computer aided simulation in collaboration with structural strength analysis, which they would like to engage in. The project has given us a larger knowledge in the choices of construction and structural strength analysis as well as experience working with computer aided construction tools.

jcv400ex
01-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Brad77
Wow, I never thought I would see these words.

I remember you saing things like.

quote:

"I just don't understand why someone would dump sooo much money in a majorly flawed, ill handling, underpowered 450 that hasn't been produced since 2003 was it?"

"I could go on and on and on......I've been there done that with Dales....got smart and sold it while it was still worth something."

"On the handling part.....if you think the cannondale is a great handling machine, then you haven't ridden enough 4 wheelers."

If Cannondale wouldn't have gone under, I'd still have it. I loved the machine. No sense in buying custom parts though to keep it running though when you can get shelf items for other 450's.

On a motocross track, they aren't up to snuff with the new 450's. You can't deny that.

John Noftsinger
01-03-2010, 10:09 AM
They said there developing a vtwin 450/500, that would be insane power! can you imagine a 450 vtwin with 70+ hps stock!

woodsracer144
01-03-2010, 10:50 AM
its called aprllia... they have one, a guy names jody i know is building one with a leagers protrax cr500 link with it in there...

ikas
01-03-2010, 06:17 PM
E-mailed Highland and got some info not much.

"Not available till after August 2010.

2 models , Race and trail.

62 or 68 hp. EFI , 6 speed

The website will be the best source for general public info.

Thanks

Kurt king

US Highland"

631kfx400
01-03-2010, 06:28 PM
thing looks pretty sick. kinda has a hybrid look to it. cool

MtnEX
02-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by ikas
E-mailed Highland and got some info not much.

Thanks

Kurt king

US Highland"

Well, I kept waiting for a 6 speed to be mated with a 450cc... but it didn't happen and I figured it wouldn't... so I bought a KFX 450R.

I really think 450's need to be 6 speed in order to be best all around for everyone. So that part has my attention right now.... and I'm digging the new-age + old school look combined. It would look sick with the right 250R plastics & graphics.

I am really having trouble buying the output numbers though. 62-68 hp out of the box is really high. If it is true and it can also handle well, they will sell one to most who can afford one.

I really don't think it will be that powerful though. And I think they should offer the EFI/carb as a choice.... if they want to offer buyers choices.

We will see how it pans out.

Derrick Adams
02-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Interesting that a guy in the 250R forum stated that this is his very bike. He said some suits showed up awhile back and bought it, now it turns up in dirtwheels.

I have to call BS on this whole deal. Especially the press release. That bike is nothing more than a cannondale rolling chassis with a Wash 250R kit installed and a Highland engine stuffed into it.

I mean, the thing has used parts on it for gods sake. Why would you use pics of a bike you bought used to advertise your new product coming out. Lets see, Kendas on the front/ Maxxis on the rear, Elkas on the front/ Ohlins on the rear, etc. Come on!

What kind of lawsuit will there be if they try to replicate Hondas plastics, or Walshs conversion kit?

I was actually pissed at Dirtwheels for not knowing enough about quads to realize what they were printing.

I think I will send Dirtwheels a press release about my new 2 stroke coming out and send pics of my 250R. Maybe if I make up a bunch of BS I can get my bike on the cover!

gsxr68
02-14-2010, 07:19 AM
I agree the wheels are the old style

Pappy
02-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Derrick Adams

What kind of lawsuit will there be if they try to replicate Hondas plastics, or Walshs conversion kit?

Take a close look at the Gas Gas and you will see some of its parts are based 100% on currently produced aftermarket designs.....I doubt many could tell the difference if they were stripped on a bench. There needs to be a trademark or copyright applied for and issued for there to be an issue...and most parts dont have these so replicating isnt an issue.

MtnEX
02-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Right... they don't patent the plastics, etc...
Or they sell rights relatively cheap...

Otherwise there would be no Maier, Fullbore, Laker Customs, etc...

And I bet they are just buying Fullbore plastics and Walsh kits.

Sounds to me like their business is these engines they have.... and have decided to build a quad.... which for a small company, it's really just assembling parts.

It's a lot more reasonable to buy the parts and put them together than it is to try to manufacture every part.

Heck, even the major MFG's source a lot of parts.

I'd say there just happened to be the connnection to Cannondale, and probably a cheap parts stockpile for the chassis... which could be slightly modded to accept their engine....

MtnEX
02-14-2010, 11:11 AM
And if this was some member's custom quad....
Where did he get the engine?

KFX450Rrider490
02-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
And if this was some member's custom quad....
Where did he get the engine?

yea id like to see some average joe comeup with something like that! NOT POSSIBLE!! as for the whole quad staying together who knows heck duster its probably more reliable than our kfx's!!

Tommy Warren
02-14-2010, 01:16 PM
its in this months dirtwheels again so I don't think its a lie....but it is a prototype so they could be using aftermarket pparts until they produce thier own.

MtnEX
02-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Well, I don't doubt the average Joe's ability.
I've seen them do some real out of the box things.

I just question how the guy would have the engine.

KFX450Rrider490
02-14-2010, 02:43 PM
yea i just wouldnt believe it and forget about the whole deal i highly doubt these quads will ever become anything

Derrick Adams
02-14-2010, 02:51 PM
From what I read he just sold them the rolling chassis.

ikas
02-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Highland is working with ATK.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7ROEoTNT7o&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u7ROEoTNT7o&hl=sv_SE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MtnEX
02-14-2010, 09:32 PM
OK... thanks for the video... that clears it up.

He specifically said "ATK and Highland are now the same company."

ATK being the one who swallowed up the powered side of Cannondale.

Apparently, this Highland engine tops everything 4 stroke ATK has... so it only makes sense to mate the two things up.

Just glad Highland ditched the ATK/Cannondale frog plastics.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_71yG2KPSBYE/S0z9RhaYRuI/AAAAAAAABew/LfQL_hAnhU8/s320/atk450Quad2008.jpg

http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/Media/News/PC152042.jpg

Let's just hope it is affordable so it has some slim chance of making it in the market.

Never know, they may floor us and come in with a price under $7,995 (ATK 450VR price)

FHKracingZ
02-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Haha the hipers, shocks, and engine alone is over 7k. I bet that quad will have a 12-14k price tag.

kfx400rider03
02-14-2010, 10:47 PM
yeah that quad would easy be 10,000 but everyone wants to make there quads custom to them. so alot of the stuff on it would be changed. like the ktms being race ready people still change alot on them and they are race ready... just my opinion

Tommy Warren
02-14-2010, 10:58 PM
does it have an 8 inch rim on the back or a 9 inch with 22 inch tires? something don't look right

kfx400rider03
02-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
does it have an 8 inch rim on the back or a 9 inch with 22 inch tires? something don't look right

idk looks like the back tires are bigger than the frons and the front look as if they are 20 inch tires but the back rim doesnt look like a 9 inch rim compared to the 10 inch front rim. could it be a 8 inch rim with a 22 inch tire? or maybe a 21 inch tire do they make them?

MtnEX
02-15-2010, 12:56 AM
Probably just a bad photo-op from dirtwheels.

It has MX fronts and XC rears on it in that picture.

They were probably checking it out in XC and MX conditions and just didn't change the fronts out or something.

ikas
02-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Haha the hipers, shocks, and engine alone is over 7k. I bet that quad will have a 12-14k price tag.

I think the price will be lower see gasgas they had öhlins shock brembo brakes and a powerful engine and they were sold for ?8k in the us? They was not that great but had expensive parts.

Tommy Warren
02-15-2010, 01:23 AM
cannondale is ATK is Highland? so its a glorified cannondale:rolleyes:

MtnEX
02-15-2010, 05:16 AM
cannondale is ATK is Highland? so its a glorified cannondale:rolleyes:

Yeah, in a way.

ATK swallowed up Cannondale in the end, and now ATK and Highland have joined.

Highland was doing engines it seems, and clearly that is the reason for the joining interest.

Obviously Highland has a lot better engine than ATK, who I think took the Cannodale engine to 450cc and 500cc. So it must be quite significantly better.

I think it might make a good quad if it's not over-complicated or ill handling.

MtnEX
02-15-2010, 05:29 AM
As for GasGas....

Their 2 stroke quads float my oldschool boat.

The 2008 body style did it for me.

I think they were 250cc and 300cc 2-strokes with power valves.

Sure would have liked to have crawled on one.
I don't think they make them anymore?

If I ever found one I'd be likely to snatch it up.

I think this is a pic of the '08 Wild 250 (mx version).

ikas
02-15-2010, 06:26 AM
As for GasGas....

they also have a 450 and a 515 :)

2000ex
02-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Pretty sure those are just 20 inch tires on 8 inch rims. They look weird because everyone is so used to seeing 18 inch tires on 8 inch wheels.

QuadParkour23
02-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Hey..hey..hey..I'm Mr. Way below average Joe. And even on the tightest budgets, I could still afford one of these 14k 450's. :devil:

ohioEX
02-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Okay, so I talked to these Highland guys at the Dealer Expo in Indy. The 450cc engine is claimed to produce 72 HP at the crank, factor 20% drivetrain loss and you have just over 57 HP at the wheels. I was doubtful of the claim in HP because the size of the head pipe out of the engine was comparable to a Raptor 250, small for a high HP engine.

The frame, other than the lower engine cradle is all Cannondale. The engine cradle was changed for the new Swedish engine and the frame has to be compressed from front to back when they bolt it in to increase frame rigidity. It has our old style Houser Racing A-Arms on the quad with Elka shocks. The swing arm looked to be regular Cannondale parts also.

It looks to have a Walsh 250R Aluminum Tank conversion kit on it. 'Dale riders have been doing that for a long time because the quads felt wide and looked odd to most people.

The quad looked no where near new for the debut of a new product. The wiring for the battery was messy, the frame was not clean and the aluminum looked old. It did have a sticker on it that made me think it was a demo bike and maybe the 8th one made.

Pricing is said to be 10% HIGHER than a KTM.

I was always a fan of Cannondales, and would like to ride this quad. The rep I talked to mentioned an Open House sometime in May I think, and they would have demos units available to ride there.

Mark @ Houser Racing

Tommy Warren
02-15-2010, 11:19 AM
As for GasGas....

GASGAS is making them this year too. along with a new 450:macho

ikas
02-15-2010, 11:23 AM

Were did you get the info about the 2-stroke ? :)

Dale512
02-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Yep GasGas is making a 250 & 300 Two-Stroke & a 450 & 515 Four-Stroke this year. Not sure if they are available in the US tho.

ikas
02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Dale512
Yep GasGas is making a 250 & 300 Two-Stroke & a 450 & 515 Four-Stroke this year. Not sure if they are available in the US tho.
Googled it! :)

http://www.dirtwheelsmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=356562CAF3A14241A28D06DEB03CAB89

jcs003
02-15-2010, 12:54 PM
this looks like a deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260552683378&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1&category=6726

250Renvy
02-15-2010, 05:27 PM

It sounds like they are all on hold, however it's interesting that they are at least thinking about it and built a prototype. That picture in the dirtwheels buyers guide is much different than the previous models.

This HIGHLAND quad looks like the typical dirtwheels custom build that they put in the magazine as a possible new quad. They never see production and just based on the looks of this and the price, I would think they wouldn't sell many at all. I can't imagine taking the risk - where would you buy parts?

gsxr68
02-15-2010, 09:13 PM
is it me or is the rear maier

Tommy Warren
02-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
this looks like a deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260552683378&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D1&category=6726

thats 1 HP per CC what a deal....I should buy it and dyno it than sue them for false advertising

MtnEX
02-16-2010, 05:24 AM
thats 1 HP per CC what a deal....I should buy it and dyno it than sue them for false advertising

That's just a little typo.

Their quad model name is gas Gas "Wild HP" and in this case it would be a Wild HP 300.

Just a typo... they are not trying to say it's 300 horsepower.

aDviSol2y
02-16-2010, 01:48 PM

No where does it say 300 HP means 300 Horsepower. HP could mean High Pressure, Huge Piece, Huge Penis, Hard Penis, you get the point.

witech
02-17-2010, 05:14 PM
Right... they don't patent the plastics, etc...
Or they sell rights relatively cheap...

Otherwise there would be no Maier, Fullbore, Laker Customs, etc...

And I bet they are just buying Fullbore plastics and Walsh kits.

Sounds to me like their business is these engines they have.... and have decided to build a quad.... which for a small company, it's really just assembling parts.

It's a lot more reasonable to buy the parts and put them together than it is to try to manufacture every part.

Heck, even the major MFG's source a lot of parts.

I'd say there just happened to be the connnection to Cannondale, and probably a cheap parts stockpile for the chassis... which could be slightly modded to accept their engine....
Im pretty sure the quad was Travis at ATKof Oklahoma /Highland.
They had been campaining a Cannondale and Highland bike for a couple years now. ATK of Utah is not the same company as ATK of OK. Weird I know. Anyway they threw a Highland engine in a Cannondale chassis and realized what a sweet quad it might be and a base to sell their engine design. The quad you see at the indy show was the only one ever made as its just another Dale hybrid hodgepodged with a bunch of aftermarket items.
ATK of utah bought up most of the parts from the Cannondale bankruptcy and has pretty much just thrown a few quads together over the years from buybacks and new parts,threw their decals and seat covers on them and called the few they sold each year ATK's . ATk never took any of the advice or items developed by the Cannondale owner community to the refined state of power and reliabilty we now enjoy. As far as the claims of the highland hybrid quad at the indy show I would love to put any of my fleet of Dales up against it in a real dyno comparison.
You know what i find funny is the quote from highland about how reliable the Cannondales they were racing were compared to the highland bikes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ROEoTNT7o

Tommy Warren
02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
No where does it say 300 HP means 300 Horsepower. HP could mean High Pressure, Huge Piece, Huge Penis, Hard Penis, you get the point.

I'm just gonna leave this one alone.....too easy:cool:

QuadParkour23
02-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y

Not to point fingers, but someone is a penis, and a short one at that.

Toadz400
02-17-2010, 09:54 PM
What's with all the hate with the Cannondale/ATK's? With all the updates done they are one sweet quad.

MtnEX
02-19-2010, 12:18 AM
I picked up the March dirtwheels today.

It's for sure in there. Do you subscribers already have april? Is there more in it?

I've been thinking a lot about it. All I can say is that if they make it to market with these, I do think they will sell. And I think they will sell well if not equipped with a lot of expensive "race ready" parts folks are likely to want to change... and not insanely priced as a result.

Here is why I think that....

With the scene like it is now, if they can come to market with some ATV's in the 450cc class with that kind of power, and the chassis can be set up for it... people are going to get it and take it to the races.

I mean just look at how much factory support has tanked. Do you really think the ALL of the riders are going to stay loyal to brands who are not running a factory race team?

If you believe that... wait until things get rolling and check out how many jump ship to Can-Am for 2010... or have already I should say...

And Can-Am is bottom of the barrel now.

Just think what will happen when class killing power is introduced... because someone good will ride one.

Guys are going to get sick of being loyal to a brand not loyal to them... especially when they are also getting their *** kicked out there.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.
That's always been the reason for factory teams in the first place.

Dachshund
02-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by ohioEX
Okay, so I talked to these Highland guys at the Dealer Expo in Indy. The 450cc engine is claimed to produce 72 HP at the crank, factor 20% drivetrain loss and you have just over 57 HP at the wheels. I was doubtful of the claim in HP because the size of the head pipe out of the engine was comparable to a Raptor 250, small for a high HP engine.

The frame, other than the lower engine cradle is all Cannondale. The engine cradle was changed for the new Swedish engine and the frame has to be compressed from front to back when they bolt it in to increase frame rigidity. It has our old style Houser Racing A-Arms on the quad with Elka shocks. The swing arm looked to be regular Cannondale parts also.

It looks to have a Walsh 250R Aluminum Tank conversion kit on it. 'Dale riders have been doing that for a long time because the quads felt wide and looked odd to most people.

The quad looked no where near new for the debut of a new product. The wiring for the battery was messy, the frame was not clean and the aluminum looked old. It did have a sticker on it that made me think it was a demo bike and maybe the 8th one made.

Pricing is said to be 10% HIGHER than a KTM.

I was always a fan of Cannondales, and would like to ride this quad. The rep I talked to mentioned an Open House sometime in May I think, and they would have demos units available to ride there.

Mark @ Houser Racing I'm not disagreeing with you, just going to point out that Highland doesn't have their stories in sync. I was told it had 69HP at the wheels.

Was also told that the frame was pretension-ed and then later talked to an R@D guy and he knew nothing of the sort.

It definitely has a 250R kit but the tank is extended under the seat and the upper part is hollowed out underneath to allow room for 2 air horns and 2 filters. The tank is said to hold 2 gallons.

I was told they wanted to be 15%-20% below KTM. http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=9974

ikas
02-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Thanks

Kurt king

US Highland"

Got this in a e-mail.

MtnEX
02-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ikas

Thanks

Kurt king

US Highland"

Got this in a e-mail.

Right....

And what I am saying is if it makes that kind of HP stock... well that power level is slaying on fully built pro national 450cc engines.

And then the aftermarket will find ways to improve upon that. Racers will ride them.... if they will handle.

FHKracingZ
02-21-2010, 07:16 PM
If they honestly think they are going to make a production quad with 57-60hp at the wheels stock, they are gonna have alot of customers mad when the motors only last 20-40 hours before needing massive amout of repairs done.

NeverLiftRacing
02-21-2010, 10:13 PM
National Built Race Motors in todays Production Bikes only last 20 hours at best. If you are buying a full built race quad, then you should know how to maintenance it. The only people who should be mad about it should be the thrill billies who have no business buying one, let alone riding one. Cannondales were just too far ahead of their time and they just got ahead of themselves in revolutionizing the ATV industry. It's sad because I loved my Cannondale's ! Just my $0.02

Langbolt
10-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Just read this on another site.....Very Tragic...I hope they recover and still produce what they intended to.

http://www.atvconnection.com/Features/Industry_News/US-Highland-ATV-Manufacturer-Tragedy.cfm

:(

woodsracer144
10-17-2010, 06:04 PM
HOLY ***** thats really sad! I thought this would be a sweet quad.

Dachshund
10-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Yes it truly is sad but it looks like they have a very good business plan and they are going full steam ahead.

honda400ex2003
10-17-2010, 06:30 PM
that sucks for sure! hopefully they will make it work. if they keep their prices low enough they will be able to compete with the others. I would be willing to buy one thats for sure. steve

99400esex
10-17-2010, 07:14 PM
I was interested in this when i read it in dirt wheels last nite. I want more info on them

Dachshund
10-17-2010, 08:08 PM
www.ushighland.com

MtnEX
10-17-2010, 09:02 PM
This is terrible.... :(

Extremerider
11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
this doesn't help either:
http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ticker=UHLN:US

if you scroll down on the page you will see this:
US Highland Deleted From OTCBB
10/21/2010

US Highland, Inc.'s common stock has been deleted from OTC Bulletin Board effective October 21, 2010 on account of its failure to comply with Rule 15c2-11.

For those of you that don't know what the OTCBB is, its where stocks are traded known as over-the-counter. Basically it means the stocks aren't traded on a stock exchange and are only traded over the phone or on the internet. While this news is not fatal to the company it does not help, it only makes it more difficult to buy stock and to be honest I do not know how anyone is going to be able to own shares in the company now.

Langbolt
03-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I haven't heard any new news on Highland USA ?

Apparently Mike Walsh - Walsh Racecraft was working with them to build a quad chassis for the V-twin.

I wonder if Mike is planning on releasing one of these beasts on his own ?

Too bad the US Company went under....I'd love to see a North-American company (aside from Polaris) have a go at it and really make a nice bike

:devil:

Pappy
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the guys behind this died in a plane crash.

blacknblue#2
03-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Correct me if I am wrong, but the guys behind this died in a plane crash.

thats correct. Im not sure what direction the company went after the accident but i read somewhere that they were gonna try to keep it going as an employee owned type business. Definitely a shame that all the higher ups involved were in the accident. I believe they were coming back from some sort of meeting concerning the release of this thing if i remember right??

Pappy
03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, I believe they were heading back from something to do with the quad...deff. a shame.

jesshamner
03-02-2011, 04:18 PM
They have some investors that are interested in picking up the company and moving forward. Don't give up on them yet.

Langbolt
03-02-2011, 06:53 PM
This is what happened....

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-12/u-s-highland-falls-after-plane-crash-kills-officers.html

Very sad & tragic

:(

Langbolt
03-07-2012, 08:58 AM
UPDATE

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=461&articleid=20120129_46_E1_CUTLIN551365&allcom=1

Looks like they will have Production up and running in a few weeks!

:devil: