PDA

View Full Version : Attention YFZ-R owners

TWILES
12-31-2009, 09:51 AM
What do you think about you bike? Be honest. I've owned a lot of different atvs. I raced 3(not much but I did) and I'm trying to decide between a YFZ-R and a dirtbike. The R is pretty much the bike I've dreamed of having since I was old enough to know what I wanted from what I've seen. I haven't ridden one. I sold my Banshee and bought a 04 honda 450 and was very unhappy with it. Its probably great for a person who had never really had a real race bike. I rode one that I loved but the grand total was $15,000 and it still didn't have the motor my Banshee had and really didn't handle that much better. I bought a WR450 and my wife took over the Honda. I don't want to end up with a money pit. To you guys who are racing, whats the minimum set-up? Looks like a shock overhaul would be about it other than a little motor modding but are the shocks even worth rebuilding? I'm 28 and its been a WHILE since I was last at a track. The reccession has all but killed the local MX races so there's not really anyone to talk to here like there was 9-10 years ago. Then, it was easy. You pulled the front-end off, bought an axle, a-arms, and shocks and that part was done but they were a lot less money then. These things are getting too expensive to count on throwing half of it away. Fill me in guys. If theres something I should know, tell me. Basically, if the YFZ-R isn't for me, I'm going with a KTM XC250. I'm not looking at another quad. The best quad I ever had was my Banshee and I won't buy another brand.

paintthrower00
01-01-2010, 04:11 PM
i have a r and i like it very much. i got rid of my honda that was a full elka houser bike for it and im very happy with it. the power is not what i expected but i can beat raptor 700 in a 400 ft drag with just a pipe filter and optimizer on both bikes. the bike handles great. to race it you need to put 18s on the back nerfs and a kill switch. the shocks are a little soft but still better than most stock shocks.

daddio
01-03-2010, 11:07 PM
You will be very happy with the YFZR. Just add numbers, nerfs and a kill switch, and you will be competitive until you reach the front of the "A" or pro class. And of course the tires of choice.

Put a pipe and '06 YFZ cams in it for a little more power. Ride the stock suspension until you wear it out. It works great.
You can also run the axle until you bend it.

People will tell you (or try to sell you) that you need all kinds of aftermarket stuff for it, but in reality, most people can't honestly tell you the difference it made.

The only sport quad easier to work on, is a kick start TRX. And that's only because it has less wires.

hendershot106
01-06-2010, 09:21 AM
i just switched to a yfzr bout 4 months ago. From riding hondas since i was 5 or 6 . Love it. Buy one and go riding.

miles Machine
01-06-2010, 12:32 PM
hendershot ik you have always owned honda just had a couple q's...what made you switch, hows the power, handling, and over all comfort feel compared to the trx...ive also had ppl tell me that the r's are chintzy whats your oppinion.

hendershot106
01-06-2010, 12:43 PM
other than the slight front end push when the front end dives...which is solved by the aft arms you put on for racing anyway... i love the bike.. In stock form with a pipe, filter, and programmer with mx tires i am within 1-2 seconds a lap of what i was on my red rocket honda....which i had a LOT of money in. the seat is the most comfortable i have ever rode. the ergonomics were alright.... i made a 1" spacer under the oversize bar mounts and put 12 degree flexx bars on and put pro armor pro pegs with 1'' lower pegs and now it suites me much better. The stock bars were a higher bend than my flexxs. they felt good .. but had a little bit too much sweep and width for me.

The bike is not chintzy at all. IMO it does need the ecu/ground wires relocated from behind the airbox...which i did. the plastic is mounted better than any honda could ever hope to be. Much sturdier. the seat needs a gripper imo....which i will be replacing once i hear back from a couple potential sponsors.

The headlights mount on and off in under 3 mins. i think one bolt and one quick clip harness on both sides and they pop right off.

You dont need a rear swingarm....you dont need a rear shock...

And everybody is bit(hin that its underpowered.... but i still have pulled holeshots against built hondas, yfz, ltr, etc. it is very smooth imo. rides good stock and very adjustable shocks.

I very well may buy a second one at tax time... one for mx and one for xc.

IT DOES FEEL SLIGHTLY HEAVIER THAN MY HONDAS... but they were stripped of everything possible.

I have "stripped" my yfzr somewhat.... but i still left a couple things i could take off. Best guess is +15 to 20 pounds in race form against my old kicker hondas.....but the convenience of easy starting and efi is worth it to me...

15 degree weather in wv yday....fired right up in about three seconds!!!!!

miles Machine
01-06-2010, 12:59 PM
great info thanx

TWILES
01-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Yea thanks

Thanks what I was looking for.

hendershot106
01-07-2010, 09:29 AM
It will take you a couple hours of riding to get used to the "sweet spot" it has when turning... its more of a neutral position similar to just sitting on the bike normal...its not like the honda where i felt i had to be on the gas tank for it to turn.

And i forgot to mention above....if your 5'8" or shorter you probably wouldnt need to put pro pegs on it to lower the pegs.

Also, the same GYTR or prodesign intake flange and filters work on this bike.

The stock yfz450 hubs will fit the yfz450r axle to narrow it to 47 quickly... which allows you to change back and forth from 49 to 47 inches for about 20 bucks for a set of hubs.

The Precision Stabilizers mount sideways for these bikes. The mount hangs over the left side a arm.

The stock yamaha thumb throttle does suck imo. i replaced it with a 04 05 trx450r thumb throttle and i cut the spring down in the throttle body for very easy throttle tension.

You dont have to replace the clutch perch to a aof style...it already has one....factory yamaha racing still uses it.

The rear grab bar is easy to fix for a number plate mount. All you need are two 3/4" wide aluminum strips about 4 inches long... bend them at about a 60-70 degree angle and bolt them to the holes that are open when you remove the taillight assembly.

And i will be posting a thread shortly on the ECU MOVE MOD for all inquiring.

woodside83
01-08-2010, 10:16 PM
you will love it. i raced it at Lorretta Lynns and pulled every quad on the track. i had a full race yfz that had kick start and had most of the wires striped and it felt lighter. The yfz450r handles way better. the shocks for me work great. i am 165 with gear so your weight might depend.

bansheeboy317
02-04-2010, 08:34 PM
i raced a good old banshee last season locally and could keep up within reason and loved the 2stroke power. but this machine doesnt even compare, its way better. ive rode my R 2 times on a indoor track and already feel faster. all i have are nerfs and a kill switch so far but the throttle responce and power delivery, its way better. last season i talk to the guy at SF racing who builds pep shocks about getting a set for m banshee and we started talking about the R and he said he couldnt build a better shock then what is already on it. only fox can cuz they are air shocks obviously. i plan pn getting a gytr pipe, +1 jb stem and tires and rims within the next month. and after that eventually a jb and fox front end...youll love the R

Moparkido
02-07-2010, 05:56 PM
I've heard of the yfzrs breaking sub frames is that true? I'm looking into getting a 450 soon its between the can am x mx, ltr, or the yfzrs

Vampire2800
02-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Hey mopar, I'm not a big fan of the Can-Am's, but they come with lots of extra's that you'd normally have to purchase as aftermarket parts. The LTR sits slightly higher & has 11.7:1 compression. The LTR is mainly for track racing only. Look at the differences between the YFZ450R & the YFZ450X. The X has all the benefits of the R, without the width. That's more-or-less the only difference. Good luck.

P.S.-I'm no help on your broken frame question. I don't know the answer.

ltr450227
02-07-2010, 07:02 PM
yfz and yfzr subframes are weak and porlly designed if you get one tho sub frame supports that you can but from walsh will greatly help breaking problems

Moparkido
02-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Ya I'm looking for a good mx bike.

yamahahaha
02-07-2010, 08:05 PM
you will love the yfz r, i find it has great power tho, faster than my 07 yfz was, had same mods done to it as my current yfz