PDA

View Full Version : hiper racing wheel weight???

IRONFLIGHT2
12-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Does anyone know the exact weight of the hiper racing wheels dual beadlock 8x8 rears and single beadlock 10x5 fronts.I sold my hiper wheels and repalced them with dwt champion in a box wheels in the attempt of saving weight after hearing alot of people tell me that the hipers add weight.I know the weight of dwt rims now that i have them but i made the mistake of not weighing the hipers before i sold them.

bustedknuckle
12-31-2009, 08:40 AM
my belief is the hypers are worth any difference in weight.you will find out now that you dont have them..just my two cents..

IRONFLIGHT2
12-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Yea thats what i am afraid of. i would just like to know the differance so at least i can feel like i didnt make a major mistake. I had those hipers for two seasons and never even had to check the tire pressure,but just by feel , no actual facts the hipers feel much heavier.

yellowzo3
12-31-2009, 09:36 AM
I just checked Hiper's site and a couple other sites and there are no weights listed.

However, they said they weigh about as much as .125 aluminum wheels and are lighter than most .150 aluminum wheels. Why are you so concerned with that little bit of weight difference though?

When I had mine I didn't think they were light. I had 8x8 dual beadlock rears and 10x5 single beadlock fronts. I did really like them though. Tires were never flat or low on air.

IRONFLIGHT2
12-31-2009, 09:53 AM
if you read between the lines they say that they are the same weight as an aluminum rim of the same size BUT aluminum rims are not made as thick as the carbon fiber rims if they were the carbon fiber rims would be lighter.At least that is what i hear and read.I could be wrong thats why i want someone to weigh them,And if you shave a puond each rimm thats 4 pounds combine that with the 4 pounds i saved by changing my tires and ill probably still get smoked next season .lol

SRH
12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
i ran hipers because im a bigger guy and rode alot of sx type jumps, if i came up short or overjumped i was bending aluminum wheels on a regular basis, hipers wont bend

IRONFLIGHT2
12-31-2009, 10:20 AM
let me clear myself up here.I know the hipers are good rims they are virtually bullet proof i broke two in all the races i have ever raced when i probably would have went thru ten aluminum rims but my goal for this off season was to lighten up my bike any were i could and they just happen to be one of the things on my list.SO once again PLEASE if anyone knows how much the hipers weigh just so i can see what i saved, please post it. my goal was to shave ten pounds off my bike i need around 3.5 more to make that goal.

12-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Wheel Weight

Douglas.190 Front
4 lbs 2.1 oz
Burgard Bead lock Rear
6 lbs 2.7oz
HiPer CF1 Front
5 lbs 13.5 oz
HiPer Tech 3 Rear
6 lbs 11.5 oz
OMF ScallopBead Lock Front
7 lbs .4 oz
OMF Scallop Bead Lock Rear
6 lbs 1.1 oz

IRONFLIGHT2
12-31-2009, 10:32 AM
thats y you the man jrod

IRONFLIGHT2
12-31-2009, 10:35 AM
according to those weights and my scale thats 5.9 lbs. NICE!!!!!

IRONFLIGHT2
12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
NOW I CAN EAT MORE.LOL

Stiles86
12-31-2009, 11:32 AM
my dwt's feel lighter then my hipers and ive broke more hiper rims than i have bent dwt's plus there half the price just my 2 cents

12-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Stiles86
my dwt's feel lighter then my hipers and ive broke more hiper rims than i have bent dwt's plus there half the price just my 2 cents
x2

gsxr68
12-31-2009, 08:13 PM
last two posts are dead on, weight seems more with the hiper. Ran single beadlock for 2 years and broke 4. hiper replaced them under warraanty. Broke 1 more after warrenty and called hiper to make sure I was running enough air and told them how many I broke and they said they would send me 2 beadlock inners to replace the none beadlocks that I have. Now that is customer service. But still will not race with them just use for practice.

bustedknuckle
01-01-2010, 04:59 PM
what type of racing are y doing.mx or xc.you can cut weight with tires.but you sold the hypers.with hypers you could go with less ply tires.if your on a 450 i dont think it would matter ..unless running pro. i had two kids that ran mx on small quads.so we had to go as light as possable..

Stiles86
01-01-2010, 07:21 PM
mx...... and when i sent my broken parts in for the warranty they said they never got them... but the tracking # made it to there facility they were of no help to me.... i have a set of rears left but after they break i will never buy another hiper..... i love the dwt's thoe...

tt racer
01-03-2010, 09:44 AM
My buddie had a set of 10 in hyper beadlocks for the rear and he tried to sell them to me. I race tt and flatrack and they felt way too heavy no where near a .125. I told him no thanks.

f150dan
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I was hoping to get 2 Hyper 8x8 non beadlock wheels to save weight for dragracing til I read this thread. I guess I'll stick with my aluminums for now.

Just a FYI for you guys talking about saving weight. Any unsprung weight savings makes a huge difference. In dragracing cars, 100lbs of weight is 1/10th of second in quarter mile but 10lbs of unsprung weight (wheels, brakes, driveshaft, axles, you get the idea) is 1/10th of second too. It makes much more of a difference so I'm sure its the same effect with atv's too.

89trx250r
09-12-2011, 07:51 PM
The only downfall of a carbon fiber rim is that it will explode where as an aluminum rim will just bend. Not explode in the sense of boom..but more like shatter of course it takes tremendous force to do so but ive heard from a shop owner that one of his riders did it...

f150dan
09-13-2011, 04:26 AM
A bent aluminum wheel will still bring you back out of the woods where a busted carbon wheel won't.

bomberman
09-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by f150dan
A bent aluminum wheel will still bring you back out of the woods where a busted carbon wheel won't.
Ive cracked a few hiper wheels. Will never buy any again

hondaracer_34
09-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Love my Hipers. I also own a set of DWT Ultimate rear 8x8 beadlocks. I race mx and both sets are great. You also have to take care of your wheels or **** will break, whether it be a carbon fiber wheel or aluminum. Some of you guys act like parts don't break when you ride hard...or maybe its the fact you don't ride hard at all. Not trying to start an argument, just my $0.02.

89trx250r
09-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Damn hondracer you must have carbon fiber weaving experience to take care of your carbon wheels... What you just said makes you look like an ***. There isnt really much to taking care of a rim bro, make sure there isn't debris in the bead-lock make sure the tire pressure is right did i miss something? Im just curious as to how you take care of your rims so they dont bend or shatter lol...?

Black Sheep
09-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by tt racer
My buddie had a set of 10 in hyper beadlocks for the rear and he tried to sell them to me. I race tt and flatrack and they felt way too heavy no where near a .125. I told him no thanks.

so your comparing a H.D. MX wheel to a Lightweight drag/dune wheel...not really fair is it?

Originally posted by 89trx250r
Damn hondracer you must have carbon fiber weaving experience to take care of your carbon wheels... What you just said makes you look like an ***. There isnt really much to taking care of a rim bro, make sure there isn't debris in the bead-lock make sure the tire pressure is right did i miss something? Im just curious as to how you take care of your rims so they dont bend or shatter lol...?

Actually there is maintenance required. Hiper wheels are bolt together. checking the torque on them periodicly will lengthen there life. UV rays can eventually hurt carbon fiber unless it is protected, a good car wax can be used. Another issue is notch sensitivity, which means that deep cuts, gouges or scratches can cause carbon to break and should be inspected , I suspect many carbon fiber wheels that have failed probably already had damage to them from earlier incidents. Certain chemical cleaners can make them brittle. The best thing to wash them with is mild soap and water.

TheLane
09-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by hondaracer_34
.or maybe its the fact you don't ride hard at all. Not trying to start an argument. I know im gay and all, and i didnt realize that the forum im on consists primarily of serious quad racers and riders, but yeah..you guys are all noobs.

At least you realize that fact.:rolleyes:

hondaracer_34
09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Wow now we are gonna start calling people gay and say that wheels dont require maintenance, good job kids. Please, keep the jokes coming :)

TheLane
09-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer_34
Wow now we are gonna start calling people gay and say that wheels dont require maintenance, good job kids. Please, keep the jokes coming :)

PS: i know im gay.

:P all in good fun man

hondaracer_34
09-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Haha nice

Hiper-Tech2010
09-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Our 8x8 Tech 3 Dual Bead Lock wheel weighs exactly 6.5lbs. That includes both bead rings and hardware to secure them. Hope this is helpful.

HiPer