PDA

View Full Version : possible clutch?

2fiftosR
12-31-2009, 05:57 AM
guys, troubleshooting a likely clutch issue? my 310R was running fine today for a about an hour then after a good cooldown and restart, it was basically revving out and not going anywhere? i was riding in sand and it just dug holes..
when i did get it moving it would only get going in 4th gear and felt like it (the bike) wanted to throw itself to the left..? really wierd..
at the time i thought possibly the carrier was loose but the chain seemed tight..
any feedback much appreciated

deathman53
12-31-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm thinking you have issues with the rear end or front end. If it was a bad clutch, it wouldn't even dig into the sand, it just would rev and nothing else. It could be worn rear tires, very uneven tire pressures(pulling to the left), something in the front end bent(causing it to move left) or your brakes are seized(another cause of pulling left and digging into the sand). Depending on the condition of your bike, it could be somewhat of everything I said.

Heres a simple way to say if its a clutch issue, start the bike, put it in gear, foot on rear brake and with the rear brake locked try and start off like you normally would. If the clutch is bad, it will fight it and try to stall, then it will start to rev and not stall out. If the clutch is good, the second you start off with it in gear and locked rear brake, it will immediately stall out. If it does, try this several times, it still should stall immediately. If after several times, it will rev and not stall or rev some and then stall, its a clutch issue. But the pulling to the left and digging into the sand and pulling left definitely isn't a clutch issue.

fearlessfred
12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
i had that happen it was one rear hub stripped out on the axle splines just one wheel digging a hole wouldnt hardly go anywere