PDA

View Full Version : Steering stem question

redrider05
01-20-2003, 02:57 PM
My steering stem is bent at the top so I am going to get a new one.But I dont know enough about them to pck which one i want.
I would like to know what the anti-vibration does except lessen the vibration to the handle bars.Also is it worth getting a +1 stem

stocktires
01-20-2003, 04:29 PM
the anti-vibe lessons vibe to the bars and prolly givesthe stem ALOT of leeway if you ever flip your quad.
Im loving my burgard, I though there was a problem with the stem at first, but then realized it was a problem with my new frame.
I'd say get a gurgard anti-vibe. There cheap and made extremely well from what I can see! (Only $187 shipped to my door).
The +1 is your decision.

If you get a walsh or laeger or any extremely nice stem, it will cost roughly $300, yet you can pick a turning speed!

QuadRacer041
01-20-2003, 05:39 PM
i have a lonestar standard stem on one bike and a houser +1 on the other bike, both are very well made, but the houser is much cheaper.
i would reccomed a +1 it gives u alot more room

beerock
01-20-2003, 06:26 PM
ya the +1 and +2 stems are great for tall people and all in all it give you more leverage with the bike(easier to move the bike around)

YZROOSTINYA
01-20-2003, 07:02 PM
new burgard

nevermind i have to resize it

stocktires
01-20-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
new burgard

nevermind i have to resize it

lmk how you stem turned out roostin, I found my frame to have chopped steering stops :mad:
Mine is awesome! perfect in everyway!

Sparks425Ex
01-21-2003, 05:53 AM
Burgard and Houser are looking Pretty good to me.

YZROOSTINYA
01-21-2003, 06:36 AM
frame has chopped sterring stops? what do you mean?

YZROOSTINYA
01-21-2003, 06:37 AM

stocktires
01-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Ya know how a frame has built in stops to where the stem hits the frame and limits your steering? Well, I bought a mint R frame that was gusseted used very little as a XC pro's back up quad.
The stops on the frame where cut off so he could gain a lil more turning ability. He should have just filed them back a lil', but instead, he just cut them completely off :(
so now my spindles and arms hit when I turn too far (both have brand new PC by PPC).

YZROOSTINYA
01-21-2003, 12:52 PM
well that blows, my steering would lock up if i turned hard when backing which almost caused me a rollover afew times when backing down a hill climb before i could dismount and turn it around

QuadTrix6
01-21-2003, 01:18 PM
yea i twisted my stem so it turns more left than right and with offset rimms it is a pain to make sharp left turns, it jerkls the quad and you pretty much go straight :( i need a new stem bad.. i was considering the burgard but then i read a thread called bugard=boogers and it kinda turned me off to them, any complaints about the stem ? should i just spend the xtra money and get houser ?

stocktires
01-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
yea i twisted my stem so it turns more left than right and with offset rimms it is a pain to make sharp left turns, it jerkls the quad and you pretty much go straight :( i need a new stem bad.. i was considering the burgard but then i read a thread called bugard=boogers and it kinda turned me off to them, any complaints about the stem ? should i just spend the xtra money and get houser ?

YZROOSTIN made that thread, There arent any problem with the stems anymore, Mine is perfect (250r)! Definatley worth the small price! If there is any problem with any of his products, he will personally call you, then send you another stem before even recieveing the "bad" one back.
The only way I would spend more money is for a faster turning stem (laegers, roll, walsh all do i believe). They have an option of fast, medium, or slow turning. All they do is expand the lower part of the stem so that it takes less motion of the bars to turn the front end faster ect. ect. or vice versa

for the price, the burgard is the best bang for the buck no doubt. Laeger NON-anti vibe stems run around $220 (burgard is anti-vibe)

stocktires
01-21-2003, 02:02 PM
O yeah Trix, to fix that, You could just adjust you tie-rods!

440 pumpkin
01-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Sometimes, when your steering turns too much to the left or right. It is caused by a couple of things.
1.) The stop tabs on frame are worn.
2.) The stops on stem are worn or not made properly
3.) To much or not enough caster on A arms.

Check those possibilities.
Good luck

I have a chrome anti-vibe for $ 285.00/ new

YZROOSTINYA
01-21-2003, 03:05 PM
2002 with less than 100 hours so no wear

stock a arms

tie rods are perfect and so is alignment

i made the intial thead and thats why i supplied pics to show changes

burgards steering stem is NOT the same as stock, it does turn faster, at least the old one did, not sure about this one because i havent ridden it yet

QuadTrix6
01-21-2003, 04:34 PM
thanks for all the input guys, im gonna check the tie rods cause this happend after i bent one so i assumed that i twisted the stem

QuadTrix6
01-21-2003, 05:04 PM
nope, its not the tie rods, its gotta be the stem because its the bars that turn more not the tires :(

redrider05
01-21-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys i think I am going to try the burgard since I do run some of his stuff.Do you get to pick what color you want it to be or is it just in silver vein.

stocktires
01-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
nope, its not the tie rods, its gotta be the stem because its the bars that turn more not the tires :(

Trix, I was saying you could compensate the twist in the stem with an adjustment of your tie-rods.
The Burgard does turn faster because it uses a longer mount for the tie-rods. This gives it the ack_____ something effect to compensate for +2 a-arms. On a stock set-up it would probably turn very fast.

stocktires
01-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by redrider05
Thanks for the help guys i think I am going to try the burgard since I do run some of his stuff.Do you get to pick what color you want it to be or is it just in silver vein.

Silvervein is the standard color (PCing is top quality) but You may be able to get it in others, just ask izzy.

YZROOSTINYA
01-22-2003, 04:04 AM
you can get a few diff colors, i just went with solver because colors dont make you faster(although i do want silver plastic:confused: ) but you can get nickel coated for a little extra and some other colors like red, blue black......