PDA

View Full Version : 340PV tuning question

garrettagr
12-30-2009, 11:12 PM
hey guys, I have a 340 pv motor that really runs good til about half thottle and after that it misses real bad. Run a mix of race fuel and pump as compression is little high and this is a long rod motor with a 3mm stroke. V force reeds look good (pretty new) and open element. Does this even when filter is just cleaned. Sputters but almost like a miss. I have gone both ways with jetting and it does'nt help at all. I am running a 44mm lectron carb right not which everyone said is way too big. Dennis packard set me up with it so he must have thought it was good. I have a 39mm air striker but the bike only runs real good with that lectron till half throttle. I will pull the 39 apart tomorrow and post the guts as far as jetting and needle size goes but what would be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about the sputtering? Searched other posts and it seems like electrical comes to be the most proposed. I do have a stock idnition except for light flywheel, new stator and noogy coil/ wire. Any suggestions?

garrettagr
12-30-2009, 11:14 PM
forgot to mention, I have a ESR trx 5 centermount and wondering if I should switch pipes as i have gotten mixed reviews about this pipe on large motors. Not a real top end screamer in mind, just good mid to top. And also, the mixture may be a little rich if anything so leaning out does not stick out to me but anything is possible

Arsene Racing
12-30-2009, 11:43 PM
first : put your 39mm carb
pilot # 58
needle DEJ 4th clip
main between 185 to 190 (it's depend where you live !!)

brand new plug B9EGV gap to ''.028''

flush your fuel tank and put VP C12 with Klotz original techniplate at 32:1

open air box with KN air filter

don't forget that the jetting that i gave to you it's if it's cold weather... like where i live !!!

if you can run your bike with this set-up , think that you can make a smooth bore job at 41.5mm and about myself , i'm sure it's better than the lectron !!

machwon
12-31-2009, 07:24 AM
One change at a time, start first with a new plug gapped at .020.
From there it's either electrical or jetting. Packard usually nails the jetting pretty good on the first try so I'm thinking more electrical. Do you have any plug color? Otherwise I'm not a fan of any electrical components other than OEM honda or pvl.

garrettagr
12-31-2009, 08:09 AM
I will look over that carb today hopefully and see what needle and what jets are in it. My plug color is a little more black than brown and not at all white. I will pull this one and after this last long ride and see what it looks like. I was thinking about a CR ignition (hopefully put one together myself off of ebay to save a little money. 600 from esr is crazy.) PVl i have heard about but also heard it can be a little hard with timing but i have not experience. And, it is cold but not too cold (50 degrees) here. I am at sea level though or about 200 above sea level so that may affect the jetting recs. thanks

garrettagr
12-31-2009, 12:30 PM
ok, got the carb apart and have specs on all of the insides.

slide is #6

pilot is a 55

main is a 200

needle reads R1368 with an S right below this line of numbers. No other marking were found. The clip was in the bottom position meaning it was in the highest position.

The carb is not an airstiker as i mentioned. It is a PWK which miked out at 38.5 or something so I am sure it is either 38 or 39. Seems to be in good shape so based on that jetting, should this thing have ran ok. I mean with it set up how it is now, that lectron ran miles better except for when the sputtering came on past half throttle which both of the carbs did. This also points me to electrical.

Also, what makes up a CR igntion. Coil, stator, flywheel, CDI plus an adapter plate from ESR. Is that correct