PDA

View Full Version : esr310 or puma 408?

lilguy450
12-30-2009, 10:04 PM
ok I'm not sure which motor to go with I want reliabillity and power...I only ride dunes and I drag race a little too just confused which one to go with which cylinder is better? and is the puma 310 more expensive then esr?

thanks

Derrick Adams
12-31-2009, 05:40 AM
In my personal opinion Puma has a long way to go with refinements before they are even in the same league as ESR. If your going with a 310 don't forget the Pro-X style cylinders that are out there. You have lots of great choices. Good luck!

machwon
12-31-2009, 07:36 AM
In my opinion go big. With the Puma its not a matter of reliability but it will challenge your tuning ability. It is better suited to just drag racing, but could do limited duning. Make sure you buy one from a company with excellent customer service. If you want a jump on it and ride motor like everyone else has, go with the ESR.

1promodfan
12-31-2009, 07:49 AM
If it was me and I was going with a 310 I would get an ESR cylinder. (thats what I have now) You can get one for around $600. All you have to do is bolt on and go. Now if you want some power, I'd say go with a bigger Puma. You can get a stock stroke 408 or a 4mil 431. I think for duning you're gonna want more power than a 310........just my 2cents.

garrettagr
12-31-2009, 08:15 AM
big gap between a 310 and a puma. Why not go with a 330 or 350 where you get more motor than a 310 and more reliability than a puma. I have no experience with a puma cylinder but I am assuming you would have to bore the cases anyways right? I am only familiar with proX cylinders so thats all i can comment on.

mineralgrey01gt
12-31-2009, 08:15 AM
try to find a polanda motor IMO. Im sure those will put you in a nice power range and still be reliable.

derby
01-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by lilguy450
ok I'm not sure which motor to go with I want reliabillity and power...I only ride dunes and I drag race a little too just confused which one to go with which cylinder is better? and is the puma 310 more expensive then esr?

thanks

Not sure how you came up with comparing these 2 setups. They are not even comparable. The 310 is a good cheap setup and esr's new cylinders are good for the average person. The puma is going to require some special components and it is going to be more expensive than the 310. The puma is very dunable most builders who are setting them up for all around riding will machine down the top of your cases to get the port timings you need. The puma's will have longer piston life. Not to mention the pistons are cheaper too. The puma is not yet as refined as the pro-x and esr's, but even unrefined they will beat them in hp, torque, and reliability*. They do require a little more tunning (they require less fuel than a pro-x) to get setup but once you get it right you are set.

*Reliability of the setup is the best I have seen for 250r big bore variations, reliability of the trans is not so good without trans mods.

1promodfan
01-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by derby
Not sure how you came up with comparing these 2 setups. They are not even comparable. The 310 is a good cheap setup and esr's new cylinders are good for the average person. The puma is going to require some special components and it is going to be more expensive than the 310. The puma is very dunable most builders who are setting them up for all around riding will machine down the top of your cases to get the port timings you need. The puma's will have longer piston life. Not to mention the pistons are cheaper too. The puma is not yet as refined as the pro-x and esr's, but even unrefined they will beat them in hp, torque, and reliability*. They do require a little more tunning (they require less fuel than a pro-x) to get setup but once you get it right you are set.

*Reliability of the setup is the best I have seen for 250r big bore variations, reliability of the trans is not so good without trans mods.

I have a question.......and I'm just asking. How can a Puma burn less fuel than a Pro-X?

derby
01-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
I have a question.......and I'm just asking. How can a Puma burn less fuel than a Pro-X?

I wondered the same thing. I am guessing it has something to do with the reed cage, port layout and efficiency of the cylinder. All setups are different but talking to another puma owner they had to lean theirs down also from where we originally predicted. I ran a smaller main, pilot, and leaner needle on my puma compared to my 370 using a kehin PWK 40.5.

derby
01-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by derby
I wondered the same thing. I am guessing it has something to do with the reed cage, port layout and efficiency of the cylinder. All setups are different but talking to another puma owner they had to lean theirs down also from where we originally predicted. I ran a smaller main, pilot, and leaner needle on my puma compared to my 370 using a kehin PWK 40.5.

On a pro-x anything larger then a 72-73mm bore and 74mm stroke and the efficiency is gone.

MOVIN32
01-01-2010, 07:38 PM
DO A CT 330 . YOU CANT GO BEAT IT .CK OUT E BAY A WHOLE MOTOR WENT FOR AROUND1,200.00 LAST WEEK .TURN KEY

BA400R
01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
i have a 440 polanda motor for sale.$1000
very reliable,everything is new