PDA

View Full Version : steering stabilizers, who uses them?

mxpimp2000
12-30-2009, 05:46 PM
thinkin about buying a cnc custom steering stabilizer thats somewhat identical to precision. they claim to be a precision quality and do the same amount of work without the expensive prices.

post opinions

i use to own a precision and i got into a tight money situation with my bike and a local shop so i sold the precision to pay the bill i owed at the shop. i tended to think the precision gave me more arm pump than i had been getting. idk if it were just in my head or if it really didnt help.

daddio
12-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I run the precision on all our quads. Adjusted properly, they work awsome. No arm pump, and it saved jambing my wrist, several times.

As far as comparing the Precision to the CNC or others.......
The Precision uses top quality, aircraft grade materials, and are hard annodized, which is very expensive.

You get what you pay for.

mxpimp2000
12-30-2009, 08:53 PM
im just looking for something affordable and that would be a good investment. i cant afford the precision right now and idk if i could anytime soon.:D

reconmaster
12-30-2009, 09:32 PM
i use streamline's billetanum stabilizer and love it when i first installed it with stock suspension and renthal 7/8s bars i had afew deep ruts that would make my bars almost rip out of my hands well kept them straight!!!

daddio
12-31-2009, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
im just looking for something affordable and that would be a good investment. i cant afford the precision right now and idk if i could anytime soon.:D

Affordable and good investment are counterdicting terms.

Precision = $485 (had ours for 6 years now without touching it) /6 = $80 per year of use.

Stick style = $170 per year (we were going through 1 every 2-3 races, but I will give the new one the benefit of the doubt)

CNC = $180. Knowing what I know about bare aluminum and how it re-acts to the oils used for dampening, I give this unit a year max.

So, the way I see it, If you plan on using the steering stabilizer more than 1 year, It's costing you $100 to use the other 2 styles.

Scro
12-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Save your money and get a precision. I've had mine for 4 years, and have only changed my oil once. Even then I didn't need it, just for peace of mind. They are bulletproof, especially if you get the updated linkage.

The CNC or CCP on the other hand, they are known to blow the seals after the first ride.

Like daddio said, you get what you pay for.

JM317
12-31-2009, 04:35 PM
I had one of the first CCP stabilizers that they ever made on my 450r a few years ago and it was decent for the price, but I sold that quad after a few rides so I can't really say how it was over the long term. A friend onf mine uses the CCP on his 05 450r right now and likes it. I have a Scotts/Ohlins that I've been using for the last 2 years and it's pretty good. About $50 cheaper than the Precision and just as good IMO.

leev26
01-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Just buy the Precision, you get what you pay for. I love mine!

KAWIRYDER
01-03-2010, 01:59 AM
I have a CNC stabilizer and I am very impressed, but I don't ride moto cross so my opinion is biased I guess. JMAO :D

01-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Maybe another way to look at it precision 485.00 broken wrist????? think its a no brainer

kersey527
01-17-2010, 05:07 PM
I love my Precision, had a pep stick style and it sucked.

Ill never get rid of the Precision.

BlaineKaiser450
01-17-2010, 10:20 PM
My Precision is great, definatly the way to go.

muddy400EX
01-18-2010, 09:56 PM
what exactly does a stabilizer do to be that much? i mean, i know the basic idea of what it does, but is it really a $480 difference?

mxpimp2000
01-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
what exactly does a stabilizer do to be that much? i mean, i know the basic idea of what it does, but is it really a $480 difference?

put on a precision and ull see....go to precisions web page and watch the videos. basically with the precision installed and tuned just right ull 98% chance never have the bars jerked or ripped out of ur arms again.

i had one but had to sale it so ill prb just go the extra route and get another one.

you can haul *** down a striaght away and hit a rut or hole and not even knw it. u might feel it hit but it wont affect the steering. also on a muddy day and cornering ur bike will spin out but with a precision it catches the bike from coming all the way around in a 360 believe it or not it works.

muddy400EX
01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
would it be worth getting one even though i have stock suspension?

mxpimp2000
01-18-2010, 10:07 PM
would it be worth getting one even though i have stock suspension?

yea it dosent effect any suspension. its on in the steering. mx xc tt or trails it will do it all, im heart broken from letting mine go lol :D

daddio
01-19-2010, 07:28 AM

When I bought my first Precision, I was rebuilding my stick style Denton, after every race, and I went through 3-4 a year.

I still have my first Precision, and it still works as good as the first day I bought it.

The Scott, Elka and GPR are also good units, but they are all motorcycle stabilizers, adapted to quads.

And watch out for the Precision imitators...... They are made from inferior materials, not plated to protect them from corrosion, and are made to looser tolerances. They may seem to work just fine for the recreational rider, but if your serious and only want to spend your money once, buy a Precision.

BTW......... If you change brands of quads, Precision will convert your old mount to a new one for your new quad.

DEVINF450R
01-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by daddio
When I bought my first Precision, I was rebuilding my stick style Denton, after every race, and I went through 3-4 a year.

I still have my first Precision, and it still works as good as the first day I bought it.

The Scott, Elka and GPR are also good units, but they are all motorcycle stabilizers, adapted to quads.

And watch out for the Precision imitators...... They are made from inferior materials, not plated to protect them from corrosion, and are made to looser tolerances. They may seem to work just fine for the recreational rider, but if your serious and only want to spend your money once, buy a Precision.

BTW......... If you change brands of quads, Precision will convert your old mount to a new one for your new quad.

The new mount is $180 to the average Joe tho :eek2:

I have had my precision for 3 years and I hated when I switched quads and didnt have the mount to switch it over to the new bike. Precision is made by Nasa engineers. They are engineered to such tight tolerances that they claim once its on your quad its the only thing on it with tolerances that close

Ruf Racing
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Installed a CCP last week. I only ride fast open trails with irregular
surface. Love it so far. :D

ricksmx865
01-27-2010, 07:09 PM
I went the CCP route, went thru 2 of them last year in GNCC's and Locals.... The seals just didnt hold up.

When i get another quad ill be going with Precision, hands down!

duke416ex
01-28-2010, 10:08 AM
A lot of people may say that they don't see a lot of difference with a stabilizer. Best way to do it is ride a little with it on there and get it set where you want it. Once you are used to it, take the linkage off and ride with out one for a little while, that's when you realize how much a good stabilizer helps.