PDA

View Full Version : Airmobile101, or anyone knowledgeable on Kymco CDI rev limiter and the green wire cut

tri5ron
12-30-2009, 04:30 PM
(To All, ...I tried to send the following message in a PM to airmobile101, but his box is full, so I thought I would just try here in the mini's open forum, to see what you guys thought)...
Thanks
Ron

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Airmobile,
first I want to thank you for all the help and suggestions you have given me reguarding my son's mongoose 90.
I really do appreciate it.

from what I've been able to tell, you seem to be the most knowledgeable about these quads, and I wanted to ask you a question about the light green wire, on the 4 prong CDI box.

I have read about cutting this wire will eliminate the rev limiter, but I seem to remember seeing somewhere that this does not apply to the 4 stroke mongoose 90's???

am I correct in this?, or am I getting this confused with something else I read?
Does cutting the light green wire, on a '04 mongoose 90 4 stroke, help, harm, or benefit the rev limiter?

When I purchased this quad used, it already had been cut, and I want to know if it should be reconnected due to it does not apply to the 4 strokes, or any other related info. ? (I have pics that I can send if you want me to).

ALSO, I wanted to ask you about hooking up a tether kill switch.
I realize that there is already one on the handlebars, but I would like to hook up a second one to the rear grab bar, so that I can atach a length of rope and have a Rear mounted kill switch, that will be easier for me to use while teaching my son to ride.

I have purchased one from ebay that is a normally closed circut,(closed when the rip-cord is in place), and I would like to know where would be the best place to hook it up?
should I splice it into one of the wires on the CDI ? if so, which one?
or
should I connect it to something else?
Thanks,
Ron

on Edit, here's some related pics...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_0798.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_0795.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_0807.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_0806.jpg

airmobile101
01-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Ummmmm............. I'm probably not the most knowledgeable about this,but I do appreciate the comment. Anyways, if the cdi already had a green wire loop cut, then the rev limiter has been removed. You can splice it back together and that will return it to normal restricted operation(so I hope).

The green wire cutting doesn't apply to the newer models. If you cut it on a 2007 or newer model, the bike won't start since that was the ground wire. Now, if its a 2006 or older, then it probably has a green wire loop. you cut that, and it raises the rpm level. Let me take it a step futher, the above facts are true with a 50cc model. I will have to look at the micro fiche for the 90 when I get home,but Im pretty sure its the same.

As for the tether, I had to run a wire to ground and another wire to the coil, but thats for a DC fired system and I think ours was a normally opened switch. Im pretty sure yours might be AC fired system,but Im not positive on that. But, you could wire it in directly to the coil or runone wire to ground and the other to the cdi.

tri5ron
01-02-2010, 12:05 PM
did you get a chance to look at the fiche in reference to a 90cc cdi?
my mongoose 90 is a 2004 model, 4 stroke.

The light green wire that had been cut as shown in the pics, does not appear to be a "loop",
( if you are referring to a "loop" as coming out of the cdi, and then returning to the cdi).

rather, it comes out of the cdi, and goes off into the harness somewhere.

airmobile101
01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
I havent yet since Im at work. I havent seen the pics you posted yet either since my work computer has a block on photobucket and sites like that.

airmobile101
01-02-2010, 06:04 PM
But, if its running with the green wire cut, then I assume if you hook it back together, that might be the restrictor.