PDA

View Full Version : how to check ground...

jcs003
12-30-2009, 12:58 PM
can someone tell me the proper way to check the ground. i thought you connect one meter terminal to stator and other to ground and this tells you if you have a definite ground. am i wrong?

thanks.

bloodswet&gears
12-30-2009, 07:20 PM
the stator is a case grounded component. it will have continuity through the eng. case,frame and everything that is bolted together metal to metal. if it is insulated, painted or something you wont have a good ground. hope thats what your asking.

jcs003
12-30-2009, 11:32 PM
so what you are saying is: if i get a good reading from the stator. my chassis ground is also good???

jcs003
12-31-2009, 11:13 AM
any other input would be helpful.

bloodswet&gears
01-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
so what you are saying is: if i get a good reading from the stator. my chassis ground is also good??? use a digital meter. put it on the ohms setting. touch the two leads together. you should get close to 0 ohms. clamp one lead to the eng. case, then touch the other one to the green wire on your frame,coil,cdi,regulator,lights,etc.. the reading should be less than 5 ohms. or real close to the reading you get by touching the leads together. the chassis is used as a ground. the green wire is bolted to the frame close to the cdi. hope this helps.