View Full Version : Oil Leak Problem

jslater
12-29-2009, 09:50 PM
First off let me say hello to all. This site appears to be loaded with great information.

After a good long ride I found my DS 450 motor leaking oil from the mag/starter cover gasket. Has this been an issue on any other bikes? 2008, DS450X, approx 12 hours on the bike.
Thanks in advance.

Jay

TNT
12-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Well welcome aboard, no issues I heard off. Is it coming from the cable grommet or gasket? You might try tightening in a criss-cross sequence if that doesn't help get a new gasket pull the cover make sure the two dowl pins are intact check for cracks on the mating surfaces, lock-tight around the grommet reinstall the bolts snug don't over tighten.

blaster99
12-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Mine leaked from the factory. The gasket got pinched or something when it was put together.

ZX11
12-30-2009, 09:31 PM
The mag cover bolts should be torqued to 89in/lbs. That is not very tight. It is tight enough to prevent leaks. You need a inch torque wrench. I got one from Sears on sale. You need to remove the cover at some point anyway. You remove it to check for the proper hex bolts on the flywheel. The original allen bolts will back out and destroy things.

My mag cover leaked because I didn't use a torque wrench and left the bottom two bolts loose when I tightened by guessing the torque. That was before I bought the proper torque wrench.

Otherwise, the gasket may be positioned incorrectly.

atvlover
12-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Hello this is Johnny with Motoworks. Some of these covers leak because of different reasons. We put two gaskets under mag cover and you will not have another problem. Have fun.

jslater
01-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your input.
Took the cover off today and found the gaskets split and pinched. Both issues were within 2 inches of each other. By the looks of it the cover should have leaked right away.

Johnny - Are you using any special gasket ahesive to glue the gaskets together? Seperate issue: Do you have part numbers for spark arrestor and silencer for the SR4 slip on muffler? Thanks....

Jay