PDA

View Full Version : Burnt the oil and toasted the clutch I think

Brian416
12-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Well I thought I fixed my carb went for a ride and then it started to leak again. Now when I was rideing we were like 30 min into it the bike starts acting up. I would get off the clutch its all the way out and its reving up but the bike is not going anywhere. I look down thinking tires were spining because I was in loose sand but they wernt. Off the clutch bike would not go that fast but it still moves. I don't really know how to explain this but to me its like if the clutch isn't being realeased all the way but it is. I put the bike in 1st got off the clutch with no gas and it did not stall it just took rolled away with me on it. I also smelled something funny while I was trying to see what was going on. I left went home checked the oil and it was burnt black as I don't know what. I smelled the oil and it was the same smell I was smelling earlyer.

ec400ex
12-29-2009, 12:01 PM
I had the same problem on my 300ex. Havnt had it happen to my 400 yet. Check the play your clutch lever has before the cable is pulled. You should be able to pull the lever slightly before tension is applied to the actual cable. If theres no play in it adjust the cable and it should be fine. Thats how i fixed the problem on the 300. I would gun it and it would rev high but barely speed up. I also thought i needed to replace the clutch cuz it felt like it was slippin. After i adjusted the cable it was fine.

ec400ex
12-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Also if the cable needs adjusting and it is slipping then it could probably burn your oil if you ride long enough with it like that.