PDA

View Full Version : jb weld?

islandbiker
12-28-2009, 08:51 PM
hi, i have a 02 blaster that has a 1/4 in hole on the bottom of the case. i was thinking of using jb weld but i no nothing about using it. will it hold? i was going to fill the hole with a flat piece of metal and jb weld over it. any suggestions? thanx

BakerRacing40
12-28-2009, 09:42 PM
i've had good luck with quicksteel epoxy putty.. always has held great for me and have used several times ... you can get it at about any parts store...

what caused the hole in your case?

12-28-2009, 09:54 PM
i broke a chunk off a case and JB welded it. Id suggest not to use quick weld, And if your surface is not 100% clean it wont ever hold. Also take a grinder and score up the area so the JB has something to bind to.

islandbiker
12-28-2009, 10:14 PM
my idiot cousin filled up the blaster with the wrong gas can(regular gas) and blew up the piston.

speedfreek
12-29-2009, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Ridetrpdotcom
, And if your surface is not 100% clean it wont ever hold. Also take a grinder and score up the area so the JB has something to bind to. x2

rooster300ex
12-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Naw jb's weld will just crack and leak. I've been there done that. It might sound like it won't work but it does. Use hi-temp silicone. Thats the only thing that has worked for me.

IcutMetl
12-29-2009, 10:18 PM
I would use JB Weld or similar aluminum repair type product. Score the area up and make sure it is as clean as humanly possible; as soon as you think it's clean, clean it again with carb cleaner, etc. Mix the putty well, glob it on there and give it plenty of time to cure. W/o disassembly for welding, this may be your best bet.

mcgrath
12-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Take it to a welding shop and get it welded. If you get it ready they can fill a hole in cast no problem. I welded up my transmission and works great. I have used that two part epoxy stick on my transfer case on my jimmy too. It was even leaking oil out of the hole and I just smushed the putty over it. Worked great and hasn't leaked for 3 years. Its definately not as good as getting it welded but its quick and easy.

12-30-2009, 06:06 PM
i went to 5+ welding shops to do my alum case when it broke and they all told me 95$ a hour and might be a 2 hour job. there all playing with them selfs but no one going to weld it for cheap

mcgrath
12-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow $95 an hour, good deal. Ha ha. Thats brutal, I guess its not where you go, its who you know. I wouldn't pay that, but I am a pretty decent welder and know several custom fabricators and custom welders. So I don't really have that problem. I know the local shop charges $60 an hour, and would probably tell you 2 hours to cover his but. But he would only charge you for the time spent if it took less. Small town shops are usually better, because they have a reputation to keep.

dman66
01-01-2010, 09:35 AM
I went to eastwood and picked up a aluminum repair kit. You need a acetelyne torch or even better oxy/acetelyne torch to heat up metal.The kit comes with a stainless steel brush, a stainless steel rod, and like 30 aluminum alloy repair rods. You would have to pull your part off the engine,remove anything that would be damaged by heat, degrease-remove oil chemically,scuff up area "both sides of repair perferably"with sand paper-file-wire wheel brush-MAKE SURE METAL IS CLEAN!!!!!!!!Then heat up repair area and surrounding area, until when you pull flame away from repair area,the alloy rod melts to the metal repair area your fixing. Theres a little more instructions but nothing major. You can also bridge with these rods with a little practice. I repaired my stator covers with this product withe sucess.It does take alittle practice but w/practice you can do good. Be carefull not to overheat repair piece-heat needs to be transfered at repair and close surrounding area. This repair kit was like 30-50$

Jersey450R
01-01-2010, 09:59 AM
jb weld is fine, used it many times with no problems. clean it, score it, take steel mesh, lay it down over the hole just big enough, use a penny or two over the mesh(something about the copper and jb mix and adhere well), glob it up and lay it down thick.

after it dries for over 24 hours, sand it down almost to the pennies and re-apply smoothly and you'll be set.

i've had jb weld hold for over two years in this application process.

good luck :)