PDA

View Full Version : How much do u think I could find one for?

Foxhound013
12-28-2009, 07:41 PM
I've been getting the urge to buy a 250r and I figured this summer if I can come up with the money I will but how much do you guys think I could find one for? Thanks in advance for all responses.

danhung11
12-28-2009, 08:32 PM
I hate to be so vague, but it really depends what's all included and what you are search for. Aftermarket frame, shocks, arms, swinger, stem, wheels tires, stock motor, etc. Those parts all add up quickly. There is just a lot of combinations you have to consider. when buying an R. Your best bet would be to find one locally you can test ride and see if it feels tight. Might even take a camera with you and snap some pictures to post to get a feel if it's your first. More than likely it will need some rebuilding given these machines are 20 plus years old. If you do look over these machines, be sure to examine for case damage and cracks in frames, etc.

I will have to say, if it's your first - you will have a nice project on your hands and be addicted like most of the guys in this section. Good luck on your find. There were a couple in this section I would pick up in a heart beat if they were closer.

Dan

BuDDy L
12-28-2009, 08:40 PM
to give you a very broad estimate, it can be from 250-10000+ dollars depending on running, cracks, rewelds and a huge cost factor on aftermarket, i bought mine for 18 and put about 1100 into it, you can buy one in like 8 9 out of 10 for like 3000 with a stock frame and aftermarket but you want some of your custom look to it if your like me, to give you an idea, spend anywhere from 1000 to 2000 for a decent project nothing to bad in good running condition and put some money and custom look into it that fits you, good luck

Foxhound013
12-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I've got a 400ex right now, i was just considering getting one because I wanted a 2 stroke to play with, lol, Yeah I expected to have some rebuilding to do considering the age. I'll let you all know if i ever pick one up.

250rPRIDE
12-29-2009, 01:29 PM
you can probably find a MINT like new 88 for around 1250.. i have seen others on this site get them for that..

haa i guess i should let it go but couldnt resist,,

sorry BUDDY LOL :D

BuDDy L
12-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by 250rPRIDE
you can probably find a MINT like new 88 for around 1250.. i have seen others on this site get them for that..

haa i guess i should let it go but couldnt resist,,

sorry BUDDY LOL :D

lol i saw that one coming...

fair game, i guess :)

mineralgrey01gt
12-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Ive seen a few on craigslist going for $1800-$2500 in my area (Louisiana)

86DUNCAN250R
01-01-2010, 07:34 AM
it does depend alot like these guys say on the condition you are looking for ... if you want i'm sure you can find a cheapy that needs a good deal of work if your looking to do it up right and make it what you really want then thats the way i'd go.probably $350-$1,000 is what your going to find for that idea and you might end up having to do a bit more work to it than if you spent a little more EX./ weling fram,cases, or fixing things that were "jimmy rigged". expect to pay $1,500-$2,500 for one thats been through alot of riding, someone has probably wrenched on it often so things might need to be replaced that are worn out but the bike most likely will have a good deal of aftermarket parts on it... Expect to pay $3,500.00 or more if you are to find a 250R that is anything better that has had wrench time but has been taken very very good care of... 250R's in this price range most of the time look like they are almost new if not fully one off customized... I got super lucky and got a dynamite deal for $800.00 anf fond one virtually stock, never rebuilt, still in great running shape, original plastics were on it... all it had was a bent axle minor crack in a non important spot on the side of the engine case and the metal framing around the headlight was bent just a touch so i figured it got rolled once but everything else about it was mint... the paint is only just starting to wear a little on the sides of the frame by the foot pegs... thats a rare on to find one in such good shape for $800.... I should have payed $1500-$1,750.... If this helps, i stumbled across an old dirtwheels or atv action magazine a week or so ago... it was dated sometime in 1997... 13 years ago and they stated the 88-89 trx250Rs in good condition went for about $2,500-$2,900 about $400 more than an 86 or 87 model... they claim the 88-89 models were a bit better but the way i see the 86-87 models can be made just as fast for nothing more expensive and reliability is virtually the same... but remember... that is how they price the worth of a good 250R 13 years ago in 1997... now in 2010 they are getting even harder to come by then they were 13 years ago when they were only 8-11 years old varying on the year model... now in 2010, the 86 model that i have is darn near 25 years old... hope this helps... i try to inform as much as i know to best help my fellow 250r owners and people interested like yourself... good luck and i hope you find one that you can call your own like i have.:)