PDA

View Full Version : Stroker Crank Questions

TJ Bradley
12-28-2009, 01:24 PM
I;ve heard that you have to mill out the cases for a stroker crank. Is this for all of them or just certain ones. Bearings just went out on the Practice bike so fixin to tear it down figured i'd look into a stroker crank while its tore apart. Any advice or info. Would the Price difference of a OEM to a stroker be worth the small gain? Good company to go with? Heard alot or horror stories about Hot rods. Any Info or Advice would greatly be apreciated. Thanks

Ruf Racing
12-29-2009, 08:51 AM
For the HR +3mm stroker, no milling necessary. I ran the HR stroker for a year, until the HR radial bearing failed. The crank itself performed very well. Just installed the new updated HR crank, but this time going with OEM bearings. Very nice product for the price. ;)

TJ Bradley
12-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Alright cool. Thanks Ruf

Ruf Racing
12-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by TJ Bradley
Alright cool. Thanks Ruf

Your welcome! :)

D Bergstrom
12-29-2009, 10:45 AM
As Ruf stated, I think the Hot Rod cranks themselves are good, it is just the Hot Rods crank bearings that had alot of failures. I have a Hot Rods +3 crank in one of my 450R's that I installed over two years ago with OEM crank bearings, still running strong, no problems with it at all.

The Hot Rod cranks do not require any case mods, other stroker cranks may though, would need to check with the manufacturer of the crank to be sure.

Doug

d3ktrix
12-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Last winter I put a Hotrods +3 with OEM bearings in my bike.
I had it balanced and welded by Crankworks though.

If your bike is making much more power then stock, I would not put a HR crank in w/o getting it welded. The cases on my friends bike were destroyed because the crank became un-true.
The crank never totally failed and grenaded, but the stress from it twisting/wobbling around there or what ever it does when it becomes un-true cracked the cases up all around the crank bearings.

And don't forget to factor in the compression increase caused by the added stroke.
My friend lost another bike from comboing a 12.5:1 piston with a +3 crank, which results in about 13:1 and still ran pump gas. He had massive detonation and metal pitting in the head/piston, the built up loose metal shot out the side of cylinder, taking most of the top end with it.

Do you plan on buying a new piston for this bike anyway?
If so I would send an old used OEM crank to Crankworks and have them put a long rod on it. Then buy a new piston with a relocated wrist pin to match ur new long rod setup.

The Hotrod cranks are a short rod stroker, so you can use the same piston you used with the OEM crank.

TJ Bradley
12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys, And Doug did you just get your and put it in as it came no balancing or anything? Im running a 14:1 weisco in this bike with Hot cam stage 2 cam, mild porting, KB stock size valvetrain. I figured on going back with a stock piston with the +3 crank in this motor. And throwing the 14:1 in the other motor with OEM crank. But How much does it cost usually to get one trued? ( balanced and welded).

d3ktrix
12-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Crankworks charged me $280 to balance/true/weld mine. This included like $40 worth of heavy metal.
So in the end the crank cost me like $600. lol

The HR cranks are designed work with the stock boat anchor piston. When your using lighter aftermarket pistons is when you need to rebalance it.

TJ Bradley
12-29-2009, 03:57 PM
So if i Use a stock piston in with the HR +3 i should be good to go correct? Just not as much power as it would've been with a high comp :( I hate being limited my being a broke white boy. lol

TJ Bradley
12-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Just got off the phone with Hot Rods, They didn't seem to know much about answers for me. But i went ahead and ordered a +3 Crank from them since my sponsorship offer runs out thursday.

I just want to know what i need to make this kit work reliably. Thanks again for everyones help.

d3ktrix
12-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Crankworks only changes 65bux to true and weld a crank. If ur using it with a stock piston I would think you could get away without balancing it.
Unless they really are that out of wack from the factory. If you want reasurance, give a custom engine builder a call and ask their experience with OEM pistons on HR +3 cranks.

And use OEM bearings, should be a pretty solid setup.
Though using an OEM piston doesn't sound too fun. lol
Will save you money for sure though.

Ruf Racing
12-30-2009, 07:34 AM
TJ, I'm running the Cylinder Works 480 kit, with the HR stroker crank. Wiseco (CW) stock compression piston 10.5:1. This piston weighs 440 grams with hardware. The added bore and stroke adds 1. of compression. I also use the Cometic thin base and head gaskets adding another .8 of comp. Total compression 12.3:1. And with Chad at DRG porting the head, this setup is a sick ride! :macho Good luck on your decisions.

D Bergstrom
12-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys, And Doug did you just get your and put it in as it came no balancing or anything?

Yep, took it out of the box and installed it. The first year I had it, I ran it with a stock bore Wiseco 11.5:1 piston. After that, I installed a Cylinder Works 480 kit on it. (Same as Ruf.) I am very happy with the way it runs, and have had no problems at all.

Doug

TJ Bradley
12-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Sweet guys thanks for all the help. Im gonna finish tearing down the motor today and we'll see if the SLeeve is scored or anything else bad, maybe it will be :D . Big bore if it is. What size do you end up with with both of these?

Ruf Racing
12-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Sweet guys thanks for all the help. Im gonna finish tearing down the motor today and we'll see if the SLeeve is scored or anything else bad, maybe it will be :D . Big bore if it is. What size do you end up with with both of these?

501! :muscle:

TJ Bradley
12-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Just got done tearin it completly apart. It wasn't the main bearing but the pilot bearing? i guess is what he said he was. But is was just brass shavings everywhere no hard stuff. The cylinder and everything else looked good. So i guess i'll still be a little 471. lol. Thanks guys and if anyone has a stock piston layin around i need one ASAP.