PDA

View Full Version : New to Polaris outlaws need advice.

seabeebuggy
12-27-2009, 09:43 PM
I just got a 2010 outlaw 90. It is rather slow IMO. My son had a cheep 90 china made and it is faster, I am not saying better but faster. We ride in the sand dunes and I am looking for the best bang for the buck in upgrades. I see this site is sponsored by Hetrick, I am looking at a CDI and pipe/header.

My question is more about the pipe/headers
FMF and Hetrick both make them
FMF looks to have a larger flow headder and the Hetrick looks to be stock in size. Is this true?
If so i see other brand pipes that sell bold on to existing header.

Who make the best? Wanting strong low to midrange for the dunes top end speed is not as important. Any advice?

I have looked at a few sites some say 10 to 15 or 20% power gains , One site says 100% HP gain.

jetta75
12-28-2009, 01:56 AM
I don't think FMF makes a header. I think its only a slip on. Some show the full pipe/silencer in pics though. Yosh, Hotseat, and I think someone else makes slip ons.
The Hetrick header is bigger. We just got a Max RPM which is the same as Hetrick. I'll measure tomorrow evening. I deff. know its lighter. Probably going to get little lighter if I cut 3" off the silencer. It sticks out past the grab bar. I'm sure its going to get hit. the 3" would put it to stock lenght. We also got the max RPM adjustable CDI and a 24mm Keihin carb. Not using a clamp on filter or eithers intake. I modified the stock intake, airtube, and airbox. Put a big clamp on in the airbox and am running 14 1" uni vents in the lid/airbox so we can still go through water. Will be at least a week probably 2 before I get to fire it up.

seabeebuggy
12-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks:D I was looking at Max RPM too. I figured it was the same also. I think your correct about FMF. It was just a slipon but showed a header too. The header is not included, Fine print.
Can you hook up the choke cable to the new carb?
Please keep me informed to the results.

musky
12-28-2009, 09:01 AM
The Hetrick & Max. rpm are the same pipe(made by koso). It helps some but not enough to hit the stock rev. limiter on your cdi. You may want to at Max. rpm or Hetrick clutching. That made a big improvement on my sons ds 90x. The Outlaw & Can am have pretty close engines. The aftermarket pipes are the same.

12-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by seabeebuggy
Thanks:D I was looking at Max RPM too. I figured it was the same also. I think your correct about FMF. It was just a slipon but showed a header too. The header is not included, Fine print.
Can you hook up the choke cable to the new carb?
Please keep me informed to the results.

Please check your PMs. Thanks

hwf-racing
12-28-2009, 02:31 PM
My son's Outlaw has the Hetrick pipe, hi-rev cdi, uni filter with mods to the air box , also has a koso 1500 spring and dropped the rollers weights. went down a tooth in the front sprocket. It is a great trail bike and climbs well, yet still slow!!! compared to his Apex. However, pretty reliable. Could use a larger carb and a better flowing head just rather put the $ into his race quad. Good luck!!!!!

seabeebuggy
12-28-2009, 05:31 PM
wow, this does not sound good. What else could someone do? port & polish and fly cut head?

FMF makes a complete pipe and header. Powercore 4 mini. better price than others. FMF site makes it sound like it is good but more for back yard play. Maybe clutch job and carb? It is new so I did not want to do too much right now.
Is there a larger cc like 110cc?

nordic quad
12-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Give Hetrick a call they know what to do to get power out of these engines but it will be costly!Another option is to call tboltusa,i know sombody used a TB head with bigger valves,Tbolt may know witch one.It might be this one but not shure.You will need another cam sprocket than the one that comes with it.

http://www.tboltusa.com/store/trail-bikes-race-head-kit-p-703.html?osCsid=a737bb6b9071daf2b43fbac3929493c6

Stein A

seabeebuggy
12-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Maybe I should just turbo it. Not hard to do.

The Outlaw
12-28-2009, 09:40 PM
I don't think their slow like everybody makes them sound.My sons has plenty of power to ride Trails, Mx & Dunes...He weighs 104 lbs.It has a White Bros. Pipe, K&N, Adjustible Hi Rev CDI and Jetted Carb. Climbs hills in the dunes with no problems...

seabeebuggy
12-28-2009, 10:29 PM
It's kind of an opinion thing. We all have different expectations . Thanks for posting. My son is 5 and may weigh 50 at the most. So I can mod a little at a time . Was the pipe a slide on or a complete header ?

jetta75
12-28-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't think its any slower than any of the other non race minis and has about the best suspension of them. The Max RPM pipe is 1/4" bigger OD. Those 25mm/22mm heads should work with stock cam and someone said the honda pistons will fit. I am going to try one of the big valve heads deff. by the time it warms up.

The Outlaw
01-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by seabeebuggy
It's kind of an opinion thing. We all have different expectations . Thanks for posting. My son is 5 and may weigh 50 at the most. So I can mod a little at a time . Was the pipe a slide on or a complete header ?

The pipe was a slip on... It's a White Bros Mini R4 pipe originally for the TRX90, I just cut and welded it to the mid pipe.I also mounted it upwards like a croch rocket, better looks than the straight back pipes.
http://i50.tinypic.com/5f4182.jpg

seabeebuggy
01-01-2010, 09:31 PM
That looks cool. The went out of business or more like sold it. Now Vince something.
I will most likely just get the kit . My son took the quad out for a drive today. He is going plenty fast. So it is not a major thing after all. But as he gets older I will keep adding new stuff.

jetta75
01-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Could someone with the high rev CDI please tell me if you turn the pot clock wise or counter to go back to stock as far as the timing advance. I would think it would be counter, but don't see anything really on the pot to indicate and got it used. Thanks

hwf-racing
01-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by jetta75
Could someone with the high rev CDI please tell me if you turn the pot clock wise or counter to go back to stock as far as the timing advance. I would think it would be counter, but don't see anything really on the pot to indicate and got it used. Thanks I found our 90 runs best around 1:clock I'm sure everyone will be different due to exhaust, jetting. Good Luck!