PDA

View Full Version : what is a sparks key?

tbrackman84
12-27-2009, 09:13 PM
i see alot on here about it and i have no idea what it is?

steve181
12-27-2009, 09:15 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/timingkey400ex.html

DirtyBirdRacing
12-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Was woundering the same thing thanks!
New question where can one buy one?

trailrider894
12-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by DirtyBirdRacing
Was woundering the same thing thanks!
New question where can one buy one?

Sparks Racing website...

Here (http://www.sparksracing.com/)

DirtyBirdRacing
12-22-2010, 01:52 PM
Thanks, when I was searching before all it was doing was pulling up posts on forms.

trailrider894
12-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks, when I was searching before all it was doing was pulling up posts on forms.

NP.

Note: The Key is a nice and cheap addition. You shouldn't run the Sparks Key with High Compression Pistons. 10:1 is okay. But anything higher than 11:1 is not a good idea.

DirtyBirdRacing
12-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I have a stock motor so that's not a problem, I was woundering do you know of any negatives to running a sparks key? Any common problems, over heating problems? And do you know where any imformatin can be found regarding how much HP is gained. Or a before and after Dino chart would be amazing if you know where I would be able to find one.

DragonGunner
12-22-2010, 07:13 PM
I put the sparks key in my sons stock motor, it already had a pipe, k an N open airbox, an jetted...it did seem a little snappier...later I had to go to it in a couple Grand Prix races, I highly recommend a White Brothers CDI box to boost the rev up another thousand....after several years the Sparks Key has given me no problems, good cheap investment....do not use on a high compression built motor.

trailrider894
12-22-2010, 08:01 PM
I have a stock motor so that's not a problem, I was woundering do you know of any negatives to running a sparks key? Any common problems, over heating problems? And do you know where any imformatin can be found regarding how much HP is gained. Or a before and after Dino chart would be amazing if you know where I would be able to find one.

It does create a little more heat, but not enough to cause problems. I don't know of any dyno's of the gains. It really did help out my quad with power!!! My Butt Dyno says it is the best BANG for you $$$$$!!!

DirtyBirdRacing
12-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
I highly recommend a White Brothers CDI box to boost the rev up another thousand....

Another thing that I dont really understand what does a CDI Box do? I understand that it can get rid of your rev limit, and boot the rev but whats the point of doing that?

DragonGunner
12-23-2010, 03:36 PM
I believe my White Brothers CDI makes a better power curve as well as getting rid of the rev limiter. Sure for trail riding you are probably going to be shifting before the rev limiter kicks in. But when racing or climbing that maybe too steep of a hill, the rev limiter kicking in sucks. I prefer something that can rev out when needed because you can't always shift just as you leave a jump an realize you need to throttle just a little more.....an it will ollow you to rev out more for top end.