PDA

View Full Version : 400ex running problem

yz2stroke
12-27-2009, 07:00 PM
hey i have a 2000 400ex the quad ran great never any problems i parked the quad for about 3 months in my garage so there was no bad weather to it..now the quad will not start i had it started once but you have to hold the throttle wide open when you let go it just shut right off.i cleaned out the carb also still nothen i was wonderring if any one on here can helpo and give me some ideas of what it soculd be i also changed the gas

siggy konowaluk
12-27-2009, 07:44 PM
how long ago was the air filter changed? if i cant get the air its not gonna want to run

yz2stroke
12-27-2009, 07:52 PM
i have a k&n filter i recently just cleaned the filter?

siggy konowaluk
12-27-2009, 07:53 PM
maybe the idle needs to be adjusted? lol im not sure

yz2stroke
12-27-2009, 07:56 PM
ok thanks ill give it a try and if any one knows anythig else let me know please

oliver1650
12-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Did you leave the gas on? If you don't turn it off and drain it before sitting for a while the carb can get gummed up. Might have to clean it out.

TRX01
12-27-2009, 09:00 PM
this is gonna sound REAlly stupid but i have heard of this happing LOTS of times on the other forum i use, and that is when people would store there quad in the garage for long periods of time mice would get in there exhaust pipes and air box tubes and make nests that block the airflow, like i said its more than likely not the problem but just throwing that out there

badboystrue
01-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Make sure the valve on your tank isnt clogged.

tri5ron
01-09-2010, 02:11 PM
First drain the old fuel, and put in fresh fuel.

Then check to see if it does the same thing with the fuel valve switched in the "on" position, and in the "reserve" position.

If it runs good in the reserve position, chances are your valve is gummed up, and needs to be cleaned.

If it does not make any difference with either position on the fuel valve, you should still remove and clean the valve, screen, fuel line, and possibly also the carb.

that should take care of your problem.

next time the quad is going to sit parked for more than a few weeks, make sure you add some fuel stabilizer to the tank, and run it for 4 or 5 minutes before storing the quad.