PDA

View Full Version : Roketa Typhoon

wormbucket
12-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Just came a across this website. Has to be the most informative for Xtreme's and Xtreme copies. I purchased a Roketa Typhoon direct form the internet for my 10 year old son for Christmas after I saw a neighbor with one last month. I purchased the Roketa because the best I could tell form internet photos was that the Roketa's, SSR, BMS, NST, etc. was basically the same. Well after comparing the two next to each other there is a very clear quality difference between the two. The Roketa is about $500 cheaper than the Xtreme because it is manufactured cheaper. The differences are subtle at first but are glaring once you take a close look. Swing-arms round house connection, A-arms, frame gusseting, tir-rod connections, nerf bar connections, motor manuafacter(no name -not FYM), poor welds, plastic, decals, etc. many of these items are different and it appears that they are different in and effort to make them cheaper to build. They definetly took short cuts.

Now the atv is clearly a good value at $1,200 delivered to my front door and I do like that the lower A-arm shock connections are above rather than below and the bike came with full manual gears and a hand clutch (no semi auto). My son won't be racing this atv and it will mostly be used for trail riding so it's probably adequate as- is and we are both satisfied. I have no problem turning wrenches, tuning, welding, etc. and I have found that all parts are available through the internet. But if I had to do it over again, I would go with the real thing.

My son is replacing his 2003 Dinli Diamondback with this bike and as much as we liked the Dinli (well built solid atv) the Typhoon hits a home run on the coolness factor and rides much better and is much more stable. The engine started immediately and didn't required much tuning. Was running a little lean on high end, now she purrrs.

First mod I made was to replace the cheap nerfs with a pair from XFR. I got them for $125 locally and they are made very well. They were designed for DRR's but I was able to easily modify the brackets and weld them to the frame. It came out real well and they look great. The only problem was that the kicker hits the heal guard. I was able to mod that also and it works OK. Again we're not racing so this isn't a real issue. I have a set a Pro Taper handle bars coming in next week so that's next.

Here's a link to to his first ride. He's figuring out the clutch and shifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B-v0eK784g

Ride1Rob
12-27-2009, 07:38 AM
That's a very good writeup on the differences between the bikes wormbucket. I got some SSR lower arms that mount to the top for my sons bike and when I got them the 1st thing I noticed where the welds for the shock mounts. POORLY done!!! Had to take them and get them rewelded. It's still a nice looking machine and the Xtreme has it's quirks as well. The frames on the 07's and newer have been awesome but the motors are a problem waiting to happen with the semi-auto clutch on the 125's. Nice looking bike and handsome son btw.

joey13
12-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Wormbucket, we have had ours for about a year now and still love it. If you want to see what we have modified or replaced on our typhoon copy, check it out on the "our budget racer" thread. if you have any questions please ask. This fourm has been the best help for us.

leager-n-ky
12-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Wormbucket, I think he will be just fine for what you are gonna do with it. Keep an eye on him and that helmet, make sure he buckles it up.