PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Asap 06 Engine Problems

atvking78
12-26-2009, 07:12 PM
06 Honda 450r Kickstart
Pumps or sucks oil from transmission into crankcase

I completely rebuilt engine over the winter. Cannot figure out why it is doing this? Any ideas?

Replaced:(new)
Crank
Crankcases
Piston/ Rings
Crank bearings and seals
Counter balancer seal
Oil Diaphragm
All gaskets

Scro
12-26-2009, 08:05 PM
The most common problem is the right side crank seal. Are you sure you put it in the correct way? If you put it in backwards, it will throw the spring, and let oil through.

desratt
12-26-2009, 08:08 PM
i had a small pin hole in the tube that the counter balance shaft rides in..

Rich250RRacer
12-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Is excess oil from the transmission going to crank side getting blown out the breather and into the airbox? I've posted this before, but I'll go through it again. I just rebuilt an '08 for somebody that was having the same problem. He had a transmission issue, and first sent it to another shop to get rebuilt. He ended up getting it back and having the transmission oil getting sucked into the crank side. He replaced the crank seal again and still had the issue. All of the extra oil in the crank side was getting blown into the airbox. When I tore the motor down, the mainshaft was completely dry. It didn't even have an oil film on it. The countershaft had a light film of oil on parts of it. I replaced the seals (yes, the old ones were installed correctly), looked for any wear on the primary gear collar, inspected the cases for cracks and checked the gasket surfaces on the cases. The motor was then reassembled with a fresh set of rings and put back into the bike. It made it through the first race without using or blowing any oil out, but on the second race it started pushing oil out of the breather again. I'm not sure if it pulled any from the trans side, but we're planning on replacing the pressure relief valve that's in the stator cover. After studying the oiling circuit that's in the service manual, it seems if the valve would stick, more oil would be pushed up into the head and out the breather, instead of returning to the bottom of the motor. This doesn't exactly explain the transmission oil getting pulled into the crank side, unless the lack of oil in the bottom allows a vacuum to be created from both the upward stroke of the crank and the suction of the oil pump, which may cause more suction than the right side crank seal can handle. If you look at threads on here and on 450R.org, it looks like there are more and more oiling issues popping up on the 06 and newer machines, both with the loss of transmission oil and the oil blowing into the airbox, and no definite answer on how to fix it yet.

atvking78
12-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I have replaced the right seal four times along with the gear that rides in it. I just replaced the cases so I guess that covers the pinhole, unless I misunderstood. I will try the relief valve next. Anymore info would help before I burn the **** thing!

atvking78
12-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I figured out my problem. When you convert from electric to kickstart, you have to put the oem bolt back in the hole where the t-shaped piece that holds the starter reduction gear in place. It requires a spacer and the oem bolt. There are three holes above the main seal where this piece goes, with only one going through to the other case. Don't be a dumb***** like me and spend a couple thousand before you call for advice. Thanks to everyone who posted and especially Mark Baldwin.

Scro
12-31-2009, 06:32 AM
I could have told you that if I knew it was a converted bike. I went through the same thing, minus the money:eek: It's definately not something you would think of.