PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report... TRX450R shocks

ballzdeep38
12-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Ok so i FINALLY got out to the track with the 450R front shocks on my bike. I wanted to give a little report for anyone considering them as an affordable upgrade to the stockers. The bike has the mods listed in my signiture. It is a pretty basic setup with Stock a arms. The track is Milestone MX in Riverside Ca if it matters to anyone.

Ok so the last time i was at the track i had my stock 87 shocks on the front. If i landed a jump perfectly on the back side of the landing they felt fine. Not great but sufficient. it was when i would overshoot a jump, come up short, or let off and go right into the face of the next jump, that they were terrible. Even landing on top of the bi tabletop in the middle of the track bottomed them out and i felt it all the way through the bars. I know ideally we would all like to land every jump perfect but this is the real world right? when it would get a little choppy coming out of a turn, the shocks were nothing too impressive. they soaked up some of it but i couldnt ride through it with any type of confidence. again this was the stock a arms and stock shocks.

Today I went to the same track. the layout was a little different but over all it was pretty much the same track i remembered. This time the only difference was a set of used 450R shock in front (no valving or spring changes). Still the stock a arms. When it came to taking the jumps they felt great. on my first lap i cam up short on a small double (one i had some up short on before on my last trip). so i cringed, and braced myself for harsh landing. To my surprise the front end soaked it up Very well IMO. throughout the day i cased a few jumps, landed a little short, nosed into the face of the next jump, over shot and flat landed, and flat landed the big tabletop. overall i think the shocks did very well for what they were. they soaked up the big hits pretty good. with the exception of a fast nose dive into a jump i dont think i ever got that real harsh bottoming i got with the stockers. as for the choppy stuff, they were a little bouncy and stiff (probably due to me only being about 150lbs, stock a arms, and not being revalved/sprung for the 250r). they didnt ride great through the choppy stuff, but they did let me charge through it with a little more confidence than the stockers did.

after comparing the 2 days and 2 sets of shocks i am very happy with the 450R shocks. I think i paid about $100 + shipping, and rented a spring compressor for a day for about $5 i think. they soaked up big hits,landings and jumps far better than the stockers did. in the slowere speed choppy stock the stiffness really showed itself. This i also noticed when i went trail riding after i installed them. so for trail riding they are ok but really need to be revalved. For jumping i think they felt great. overall on the MX track i like them much better than stock. with a revalve and a new set of springs they would be great IMO when you consider the cost. again this is all considering i have less than $150 invested in them.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b347/ballzdeep38/for%20sale/DSC02011.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b347/ballzdeep38/DSC02014.jpg

jcs003
12-27-2009, 03:26 AM
did they bolt right up? or did they need spacers or modifications or anything?

ballzdeep38
12-27-2009, 11:26 AM
they didnt need and "modifications". fit them in and throw the bolt through. the problem is the shock is longer then the stock ones. so you need a atv spring compressor to squeeze it into place. that was a pain in the *** TBH. also the pushed as far down as possible and the front end will in turn sit a little higher. if the were revalved/resprung that wouldnt be an issue. but no spacers or modifications were needed.

Honda 250r 001
12-28-2009, 04:59 PM
what people dont understand is that you will break off the ball joints if you dont shorten the shocks or use aftermarket a arms. Because the spring is compressing the shock all the way, but it cant go all the way because the ball joints dont allow, so they snap off.

ballzdeep38
12-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Are you saying when the shock is compressed (bottomed out)?? or when it is extended (like when it sits on a stand)?? as it sits the a arms are extended all the way and the ball joints look to be at their max but the a arm it self can move any farther because it hits the frame under the a arm mount (if i remember correctly). The second pic shows the upper ball joit and you can kinda see the peice of the frame under the a arm mount i am talking about. Luckily i didnt break anything this last trip...

jcs003
12-29-2009, 08:01 AM
i think he means "sag". a shock must have a certain amout of sag in it to prevent the shock from being overloaded. correct me if im wrong...

Honda 250r 001
12-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
i think he means "sag". a shock must have a certain amout of sag in it to prevent the shock from being overloaded. correct me if im wrong...

Im talking about when your quad is on a stand or when your in the air jumping
but i mean these shocks will not work on stock a arms, because the shock never tops out, the ball joints dont provide enough movement for the shocks to extend all the way. So the big spring is compressing on the ball joints instead of the shock its self. you should NOT need a spring compressor to hook up shocks, if you do, your doing it wrong...

ballzdeep38
12-29-2009, 08:36 AM
i will have to double check when i get home but if the a arm is being stopped by the frame and not the ball joint then wouldnt the frame be taking the abuse and not the ball joint? with the shock out of the equation when you attatch the lower a arm the tab on the bottom of the frame prevents the a arm from extending any further. It is not the ball joint that is stopping it if i remember correctly. also if you were to adjust the preload by moving the rings all the way down would this be enough to allow the spring to extend against the shock itself and not the frame/ball joint? as they sit the rings are all the way at the top.

Honda 250r 001
12-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ballzdeep38
i will have to double check when i get home but if the a arm is being stopped by the frame and not the ball joint then wouldnt the frame be taking the abuse and not the ball joint? with the shock out of the equation when you attatch the lower a arm the tab on the bottom of the frame prevents the a arm from extending any further. It is not the ball joint that is stopping it if i remember correctly. also if you were to adjust the preload by moving the rings all the way down would this be enough to allow the spring to extend against the shock itself and not the frame/ball joint? as they sit the rings are all the way at the top.

how would the frame stop the arms from extending more?

ballzdeep38
12-29-2009, 01:49 PM
if i remember correctly there is a tab on the bottom of the lower a arm mount. this tab prevented the lower a arm from moving past that point. i will have to look at it later but that was how i remembered it from the installation of the a arms after i painted them.

12-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Put some +2 standard travel a-arms on it. Those shocks should work much better with +2 a-arms and you'll like them for mx anyways.

Honda 250r 001
12-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by 8686
Put some +2 standard travel a-arms on it. Those shocks should work much better with +2 a-arms and you'll like them for mx anyways.

agreed, or even some plus 3's i hear those shocks work best on +3's...

ballzdeep38
12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
+2's are in the plans for it. and rebuilds on the 450 shocks as well. i want to keep the width legal for MX so i thought i should stay away from +3's. This little report was just to give some feedback to guys who had been pondering the swap and wanted a full opinion on them as opposed to the typlical 3 line "they work good" responses i was finding when i decided to do it. New A Arms are a little out of the budget right now however. if i could find a used set for about $150 i would pick them up in a heart beat but so far i havent found any.