PDA

View Full Version : 400ex XC/trail bike

Smithykid14
12-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I was looking to covert my 400 into a XC/ woods bike. What aftermarket parts would you suggest for a trail bike. I would like the bike to be as fast as possible w/o going into bore kits and stroker options. and be able to withstand some trail riding/XC

thanks

tri5ron
12-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Smithykid14
I was looking to covert my 400 into a XC/ woods bike. What aftermarket parts would you suggest for a trail bike. I would like the bike to be as fast as possible w/o going into bore kits and stroker options. and be able to withstand some trail riding/XC

thanks what does your bike have now?

bkelley
12-26-2009, 01:28 AM
Better suspension, better tires, exhaust and jetting, 450r carb, air filter, stage 2 cam, Sparks key. Pretty much all you can do without getting into boring.

bigbad400
12-26-2009, 07:07 AM
this question has ben beat to death and everytime the first few responses say nothing about skid plates. you want to do xc you should have skids. protect yourself and your machine first.

MtnEX
12-26-2009, 09:51 AM
And do PRM Skids....

Very tough... and have great clearance.

Then you also want some good aftermarket tires and wheels.

bigbad400
12-27-2009, 06:12 AM
if i was building a xc 400ex i would do as follows,

skids.
shocks.
tires/wheels.
steering stabilizer.
exhaust pipe
stg 2 cam.
14 tooth front sprocket.

maybe motor mods if i was getting to need the added power or something, but reliability is more inportant in a xc race.

the rest of the goodies are a given like handguards and a good chain, good brake pads. remember in xc racing you need to be able to handle a 2-3 hour race of some very intence conditions at times. your body as well as your machine needs to be protected and well conditioned.

bigbad400

skids.
shocks.
tires/wheels.
steering stabilizer.
exhaust pipe
stg 2 cam.
14 tooth front sprocket.

maybe motor mods if i was getting to need the added power or something, but reliability is more inportant in a xc race.

the rest of the goodies are a given like handguards and a good chain, good brake pads. remember in xc racing you need to be able to handle a 2-3 hour race of some very intence conditions at times. your body as well as your machine needs to be protected and well conditioned.

bigbad400

skids.
shocks.
tires/wheels.
steering stabilizer.
exhaust pipe
stg 2 cam.
14 tooth front sprocket.

jdog75
12-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX
And do PRM Skids....

Very tough... and have great clearance.

Then you also want some good aftermarket tires and wheels.
x2 i was flying down a trail and i didnt see a rock and it hit my skid plate and lauched the atv upward and i looked at it after and there was othing but a scratch

bigbad400
12-27-2009, 10:21 AM
could have bean a smashed case... those skids will save you everytime. i hit quite alot of rocks up in northern michigan, my skids are only scratched. could have broken chain or brake rotor too.