PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw 525 riders I need your help

beez33
12-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I have a 2007 Honda trx 450 with a K and N airfilter and HMF exhaust. A guy wants to trade me a stock 2007 Polaris Outlaw 525IRS+$400 cash. I am kinda interested in this but I have never rode one. I Do most of my riding on the oregon dunes. I mostly do hill climbs and side hilling. I need you guys who have rode the outlaw to help me with the Pro's and Con's. I'm a little worried about the IRS in sand. If you have ridden both that would be even better. Thanks

Rkangel7
12-25-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't ride an Outlaw IRS, but our club rides the Oregon Dunes frequently. Two in our group ride the Outlaw IRS, one a 500 and the other a 525. Both seem to like them quite a bit. I haven't seen them do a lot of side hilling (probably only because it's not their thing), but they seem to have no problem hill climbing. Both have mentioned that IRS is nice for smoothing out the ride on choppy sand. And, for sure, the 525 doesn't have a problem keeping with the 450's in the power department.

That's my non-outlaw-owning experience, FWIW. But it's been interesting enough that I'm considering an Outlaw myself.

OutlawBill
12-26-2009, 07:32 AM
If you are into hill racing the 450 is better but for all day riding comfort the IRS is better. I went from as DS730 and Predator to the Outlaw. The IRS does push when turning, front rib sand tires are a must have and to break the rear lose you have to shift your weight forward and in to unload the IRS.

beez33
12-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Well I'm not into hill racing. I just like doing hole shots. what about low end power wise?

birdman7389
12-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Go ride it dude. If ALL you ever ride is dunes, the stick with the SRA. If you will hit some trails, woods or desert, the IRS shines.

Hard to beat the reliability of a Honda, but the KTM has been pretty nice for us, plus it is a rocket :D

At winchester, my stock (just an air filter) 525 IRS will just barely beat my buds stock Raptor 700. Same size/skill riders, comparable tires.

OutlawBill
12-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by beez33
Well I'm not into hill racing. I just like doing hole shots. what about low end power wise?
The 525 has more than enough low end power. I went up on the front sprocket from the stock 14 to a 15 to stretch out my shift points.

birdman7389
12-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
The 525 has more than enough low end power. I went up on the front sprocket from the stock 14 to a 15 to stretch out my shift points.

Was yours stock when you did this? I tried it at the dunes and did not like it. Top speed was nice, but just putting around the dunes was not as fun.

beez33
12-27-2009, 01:15 PM
ok. thanks for your help. I'm gonna have to think about it. I'm not that worried about the power. I know they run good. I'm just worried about the IRS in the sand. Thanks for all your help fella's.

SSJEFF
12-28-2009, 02:39 PM
a caster adjustment cures the push in the corners! they are set up for high speeds IMO.

cmpearce
12-28-2009, 07:11 PM
how would you adjust the caster??

SSJEFF
12-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by cmpearce
how would you adjust the caster?? Either you buy different A-arms or modify the stock ones. A buddy and I are going to try and modify stock ones. It is just the uppers. By making the upper a-arm adjustable forwards and backwards you can move the castar. this allows tuning of the steering. My 09 IRS is turning better than all the other IRS quads I have had so far and I have the XC narrowed arms on it.