PDA

View Full Version : What are the must have basic mods?

joe4thgear
12-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Been riding bikes my whole life, but just got a stock 01 400ex. All it has is Nerf bars. I'll be doing all around riding with it. Some trails, dunes, and a little bit of jumping. Don't plan on racing ever, thats what the bikes are for :D . I'm totally clueless on mods for these machines. Thanks in advance.

steve181
12-24-2009, 10:46 PM
air filter
exhaust
sparks timing key
450r shocks

tri5ron
12-24-2009, 10:53 PM
exactally what steve181 said, except in opposite order, and add a steering stabilizer.

bkelley
12-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, I'd probably say:

• Air filter
• Tires
• 450 shocks
• Exhaust and jetting
• Sparks key

Then some nice luxuries would be:

• +2 Arms
• Extended rear hubs or axle
• 450r carb
• 416 kit

joe4thgear
12-25-2009, 12:44 AM
I don't plan on doing any engine work, or getting into a arms and swing arm because this is my first quad and I don't know if I'll get into it. But If I do, I'll just buy a 450, thats why I'd like to keep it cheap. What you have listed is exactly what I'm looking for. What is the sparks timing key? Also I saw rev boxes, are those worth it? Lastly, where do you guys look for parts, the only good online source I know of is denniskirk.com

bkelley
12-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by joe4thgear
I don't plan on doing any engine work, or getting into a arms and swing arm because this is my first quad and I don't know if I'll get into it. But If I do, I'll just buy a 450, thats why I'd like to keep it cheap. What you have listed is exactly what I'm looking for. What is the sparks timing key? Also I saw rev boxes, are those worth it? Lastly, where do you guys look for parts, the only good online source I know of is denniskirk.com
The Sparks key replaces the stock woodruff key and advances the timing by 6° which leads to better throttle response and some more low-end power. I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket rev box, there just isn't enough power left in the 9100+ RPM range to create any gains. Rocky Mountain ATV (http://rockymountainatv.com) has a lot of stuff and at decent prices but I also buy off eBay and the for sale section here. Nothin' like picking up nice used parts for cheap. Not to mention it also helps out fellow forum members when you buy from the for sale section.

Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, be sure to post some pictures of your EX. Everybody loves pictures.

joe4thgear
12-25-2009, 01:28 AM
Awesome, thanks again! Pics soon.

Muzzgit
12-25-2009, 08:04 AM
1st. Rear axle extensions (wheel spacers)
2nd. Steering damper
3rd. Slip-on pipe + jetting
4th. handle bar risers (depending on your height)

I've done these to mine but the steering damper was one of the last things I did. I wish it had been the first thing I did. As with the rear wheel spacers, absolutely the most notable improvements.

12-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by steve181
air filter
exhaust
sparks timing key
450r shocks

/thread

drillteamleader
12-25-2009, 09:02 AM
If you want to keep it cheap, what I would do is a sparks key, HMF slip on, steering stabalizer, and take the gasket off the jug seal it up with gasket maker and use an xr400 head gasket to raise the compression. I ran mine like this with a stage 1 hotcam, and it was a huge difference over stock.

joe4thgear
12-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Does just a slip on make that much of a difference? I'd figure you need the pipe to make it worth while.

tri5ron
12-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by joe4thgear
Does just a slip on make that much of a difference? I'd figure you need the pipe to make it worth while. if you grind down the excessive welds on the stock header pipe, along with a decent slip-on, there is a surprising, and noticeable increase in flow and power. Great way to do the "bang for your buck" approach.
add the +6 key, and a good stabilizer to that, and you've got a good start going, for minimal investment.