PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Rear Diff Bearing Issue

Whitfield
12-24-2009, 12:42 AM
How do you remove the rear differential pinion needle bearing.

It is held in place with a c-clip. It is in the aluminium caseing and in a blind hole.

Fighting one for 3+ hrs tonight we finally resorted to Carbon Arc Gouging the beaing / race assembly. Carbon arc gouging is a cross beteween arc welding and plazma cutting. This melted the bearing assembly allowing us to break it into smaller removable pieces. This is a very delicate proceedure when working with a thimble sized needle bearing in an aluminium case.

Their has got to be a better way.

I tried pressing the retaining c-clip with a screw driver while working the race out with a mini slide hammer fitted with proper duck billed puller. No luck ~ I could move it slightly forward and back but could never break it past the hold of the c-clip.

Tried welding a threaded rod to the bearing and using a plate nut washer assembly butted up to the pinion housing to work as a puller. No luck, Had close to 90 ft. lbs on the 1/2" rod working up gradually while tapping the bearing / c-clip + heating the alu housing on both sides with a torch.

Working with a machinist and 40 years experience between us we tried most every trick we knew before finally resorting to cutting it out.

Whitfield
12-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Manual says spin clip with pick until end is at hole. Strike clip with punch this will bend it upward and then remove with needle nose pliers.

Next to impossiable if the ATV has been submerged and the rear is contaminated with mud / sand / water. Then the clip is seized and will not spin.

One of the worst designs I've seen in a while.