PDA

View Full Version : suspension setup

z400bs
12-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I just picked up a set of front elka race series shocks and just mounted them up, now my question is how to set them up correctly. When you compress the shock right now, it doesnt come back up all the way, is this because nothing has been messed with at all yet?

gojk
12-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by z400bs
I just picked up a set of front elka race series shocks and just mounted them up, now my question is how to set them up correctly. When you compress the shock right now, it doesnt come back up all the way, is this because nothing has been messed with at all yet?

Do they have the SSD option? They will keep the top springs compressed if they have the ssd option.

z400bs
12-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by gojk
Do they have the SSD option? They will keep the top springs compressed if they have the ssd option.
im not sure, but i dont think they do, how do you know if they do?

gojk
12-24-2009, 05:57 PM
im not sure, but i dont think they do, how do you know if they do?

It will have a really light spring on the top if they are SSD. Can you post a pic and we should be able to tell you if it is SSD or not.

z400bs
12-24-2009, 08:08 PM
It will have a really light spring on the top if they are SSD. Can you post a pic and we should be able to tell you if it is SSD or not.

gojk
12-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Look like SSD to me. Is it the top spring that is staying compressed? If so, that is normal. Enjoy the new shocks.

z400bs
12-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Look like SSD to me. Is it the top spring that is staying compressed? If so, that is normal. Enjoy the new shocks. yes it is, and it makes since now. thankyou.

400exrider707
12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
The top spring, known as ZPS, or SSD, is made to collapse with the weight of the rider on the quad, to lower the center of gravity.

A lot of times when you put some weight on the front bumper to compress the shocks, it wont come back up because of stiction. You can see that the front tires are actually moving in and out (making the quad wider when you push down on the front bumper) In order for the front end to come back up it is literally dragging the tires in towards the quad to come back up.

It's ok, everything is fine. Just set up your ride height with a buddy, then go test them out.

z400bs
12-28-2009, 08:50 AM
alright will do, just got to wait for all this snow to melt!!!

Dylan227
01-10-2010, 07:19 PM
I had some and the rod was bent. But turn your compression all the way lose and see what happens. Also meess with the rebound turn all the way to the right.,.. should help

YFZLOVER07
01-28-2010, 11:15 AM
does anyone know how to turn stock shocks in 0 preload shocks cuz i have herd of ppl doing it and wanted to know it anyone knew how to.