PDA

View Full Version : octane

jmarkel
12-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Just got our 2010 apex 70 and was wondering if anyone runs a lower octane than what is recommended (100) by apex? If so, any problems? thanks.

tyler70t
12-24-2009, 06:25 AM
We always run Sunoco 93 with Amsoil Dominator mix, no problems at all!!!! And so much cheaper too!!!

12-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Run 50/50 2 12/ gallons of race fuel like (cam two) or VP and 2 1/2 gallons of 93 octane for best performance. or how ever much your gas can will hold. Just mix fuel 50/50.

redonkulousruntsracing
12-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Tyler, good for U!!, I could run just 93 octane, but I han to richen my carb and back off the timing, and I noticed a definite performance loss. Maybe a hyper 50 thing, IDK.

To make it run the best I do what TG says.
2.5 gallons VP C12 (110 octane)
2.5 gallons Sunoco 93
= 100 octane
Makes 10 gallons of race fuel with one 5 gal jug of C12.
and I use Klotz R50 oil, I can jet down, bump the timing up and run down to 20 degrees F without a meltdown!

Nichols Atvs
12-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Mixing of pump fuel and race fuel should be done just before you use it and will not last very long 2 weeks max then dump into the riding mower . Allways smells good when mowing .Becarefull with pump fuels Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers (RON), Motor Octane Numbers (MON), and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). Pump Octane Numbers are what you see on the yellow decal at the gas stations and represents an average of RON and MON. VP uses MON because this test method is more relevant to racing. Most other companies use RON because it is higher, easier to come by, and sounds better in marketing messages. Don't be fooled by high RON numbers or an average -- MON is the most important for a racing application. However, the ability of the fuel to resist preignition is more than just a function of octane.

ecmini1
12-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
Mixing of pump fuel and race fuel should be done just before you use it and will not last very long 2 weeks max then dump into the riding mower . Allways smells good when mowing .Becarefull with pump fuels Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers (RON), Motor Octane Numbers (MON), and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). Pump Octane Numbers are what you see on the yellow decal at the gas stations and represents an average of RON and MON. VP uses MON because this test method is more relevant to racing. Most other companies use RON because it is higher, easier to come by, and sounds better in marketing messages. Don't be fooled by high RON numbers or an average -- MON is the most important for a racing application. However, the ability of the fuel to resist preignition is more than just a function of octane.

You took the words out of my mouth. Well put.

But you can run 93 octane with no problem. We built an Apex 2 years ago for a customer And its back to us for a freshing up. Now this is no National bike but does race and trail ride. Still had 130 psi of compression before tear down and the piston looks fine just normal wear. This mini runs here in Florida so it sees hot weather. Runs only 93 octane with Maxima 927 at 40
:1. Just some more info for ya.

Ride safe.

snobmxman101
02-05-2010, 05:15 PM
could i use 87 pump gas with opti 2 stroke fuel mix?
and when ever i can get it use 97 octane with opti

don bassani
02-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Are you using opti at 100 to 1 like it is recommended or are you running a richer ratio. 1.8 ounces per gallon is what opti recommends.