PDA

View Full Version : hybrids

atvnut22
12-23-2009, 03:52 PM
im thinking of trading my 450r for a hybrids, and am having doubts. i was just wondering opinions of the pros and cons of hybrids compared to production bike. just from people experiences. and please dont post if you dont know what your talking about, or havent owned one.

deathman53
12-23-2009, 04:49 PM
hybrids are for people that want something different, something that isn't made of a certain type engine or are too used to certain type of chassis and can't get used to a newer(not better, in most cases) type. I'm a 250r person, I've ridden alot of the quads out there and don't like them. Hybrids are for me because of this, I like the 250r chassis and don't like how the new quads sit too high up and other small things. Something that isn't made also, the atc450r that is being built, nobody has made a trike since the last one was sold in europe in 89 or 90. Please, don't let this turn into a trike flaming thread. Nobody makes it and it has to be a custom build aka hybrid. In the late 80's, 90's and early 2000's, hybrids were popular because it allowed the use a 4 stroke motor for atv racing, in which the only good atv racing quad was the short lived trx250r and it can be argued the 85-92 lt250r(not many of those were raced though).

I know some guys that loved the handling of a yz125 and yz250, but didn't like the motor, they put ktm 200xc and 250xc in the yamaha chassis. A member of the enduro club I'm in is in this situation. He's used to his yz250(w/ enduro trim) and got a ktm250xc-w. He loves the motor, but the chassis is somewhat off for him and doesn't turn as quick. Dirtbike racers used hybrids to some point also, when Jeremy Mcgraph returned to honda for racing, he used a steel frame mid 90's cr250 and such, but it looked alot like a new cr250. This probably happened alot more than is said.

With hybrids, there is compromises, good and bad, more strengths with a certain thing and weaker in another. Its all setup to your needs. My crf450r hybrid, its great for tight mx riding and most mx riding in general, its running 3-5th gear. Go and put it on a xc course or open type riding, you have inferior bikes passing it, due to top speed(mostly) and gears that aren't quite right for a atv chassis. When I did one xc race on it, 1st wasn't tall enough and 2nd was too tall and 3rd only could be used where it was more open. I don't think 4th or 5th was used very much. A member of the enduro club, he's using a conventional fork setup on his yz w/ inverted forks, why, because the conventional forks are better for rocks and such(where inverted forks deflect alot). The opposite is true for high speeds, inverted forks have a better ride with high speed in rocks, whoops, logs, ect, where in the conventional forks wouldn't be as stable.

907Rider
12-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by deathman53
hybrids are for people that want something different, something that isn't made of a certain type engine or are too used to certain type of chassis and can't get used to a newer(not better, in most cases) type. I'm a 250r person, I've ridden alot of the quads out there and don't like them. Hybrids are for me because of this, I like the 250r chassis and don't like how the new quads sit too high up and other small things. Something that isn't made also, the atc450r that is being built, nobody has made a trike since the last one was sold in europe in 89 or 90. Please, don't let this turn into a trike flaming thread. Nobody makes it and it has to be a custom build aka hybrid. In the late 80's, 90's and early 2000's, hybrids were popular because it allowed the use a 4 stroke motor for atv racing, in which the only good atv racing quad was the short lived trx250r and it can be argued the 85-92 lt250r(not many of those were raced though).

I know some guys that loved the handling of a yz125 and yz250, but didn't like the motor, they put ktm 200xc and 250xc in the yamaha chassis. A member of the enduro club I'm in is in this situation. He's used to his yz250(w/ enduro trim) and got a ktm250xc-w. He loves the motor, but the chassis is somewhat off for him and doesn't turn as quick. Dirtbike racers used hybrids to some point also, when Jeremy Mcgraph returned to honda for racing, he used a steel frame mid 90's cr250 and such, but it looked alot like a new cr250. This probably happened alot more than is said.

With hybrids, there is compromises, good and bad, more strengths with a certain thing and weaker in another. Its all setup to your needs. My crf450r hybrid, its great for tight mx riding and most mx riding in general, its running 3-5th gear. Go and put it on a xc course or open type riding, you have inferior bikes passing it, due to top speed(mostly) and gears that aren't quite right for a atv chassis. When I did one xc race on it, 1st wasn't tall enough and 2nd was too tall and 3rd only could be used where it was more open. I don't think 4th or 5th was used very much. A member of the enduro club, he's using a conventional fork setup on his yz w/ inverted forks, why, because the conventional forks are better for rocks and such(where inverted forks deflect alot). The opposite is true for high speeds, inverted forks have a better ride with high speed in rocks, whoops, logs, ect, where in the conventional forks wouldn't be as
stable.
Great post! I completely agree with everything said.