PDA

View Full Version : Foot Brake Help

Tobe_B
12-23-2009, 11:42 AM
So I was out riding last weekend and when I was comin down a hill I pushed down on the foot brake to slow my self down, when I realized a wasn't slowing down at all I locked it up with the front brake and pulled the clutch and mashed down the foot brake finally comin to a stop. The problem I have now is that my foot brake won't disengage itself, everytime I use it I have to reach down and pull it back up or the back end just locks up. It seems the be something with the spring but I'm not real sure, anyone have any ideas of what I can do?

06typeS
12-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Make sure the spring is still there and that its not broke, also the caliper could need rebuilt or just has a bunch of stuff mashed up in there.

Either way give the master cylinder a good look over and then check out the caliper im sure it prob could use a good cleaning.

slightlybent47
12-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Sounds like it’s time for some new pads. Check the pads and replace if necessary.
Try to clean up the break pads and check the lever shaft and grease it. Check the two bolts that hold the pads in place, they sometimes need cleaning.

Good luck and Merry Christmas

NacsMXer
12-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Easy fix, try this first. Your brake pedal more than likely needs to be greased at its pivot. That's why it won't return back up.

Take the spring off the pedal and remove the cotter pin on the opposite side of the brake pedal. Also remove the cotter pin where the pedal hooks up to the rear master cylinder. Remove the square shaped pin holding the pedal to the master cylinder. Now slide the pedal out of the hole in the frame. You may have to work the pedal a bit or hit it with a hammer from the opposite side to get it out if it is really bad.

Clean the hole in the frame and the pivot surface of the pedal with WD40 or Brakleen really well. Now get some good marine grade waterproof grease and grease up the hole and pivot really well. Reassemble, put new cotter pins in and you're set for a long time!

Honda doesn't put enough grease there from the factory, just the bare minimum so it dries out over time :rolleyes:

Tobe_B
12-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the help guys I'll get some grease and get it all cleaned up and greased up and put it back together and riding again.

Tobe_B
12-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Ok so I hit a snag. I got the cotter pin out that is at the back of the pedal next to the master cylinder, but can't find a cotter pin behind the pivot and I can't seem to just beat out the pedal. And yes I did pull out the bolt that was holding the pedal in. Also, if someone could direct me as to where I need to attach that spring that was attached between the pedal and the frame that would be just awesome.

NacsMXer
12-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Tobe_B
Ok so I hit a snag. I got the cotter pin out that is at the back of the pedal next to the master cylinder, but can't find a cotter pin behind the pivot and I can't seem to just beat out the pedal. And yes I did pull out the bolt that was holding the pedal in. Also, if someone could direct me as to where I need to attach that spring that was attached between the pedal and the frame that would be just awesome.

Ok, so you got the joint pin and cotter pin out of the very end of the pedal that is connecting it to the master cylinder, right?

The other pin is behind the frame. Look closely back there and you will see it. It isn't really a cotter pin, but a kind of spring pin, it just pulls right out. Then you can try pulling the brake pedal out of the frame. I have no idea how badly yours is seized in there, so spray some penetrating lube in the pivot and work it up and down while pulling on it.

Here is a picture from the service manual. In the top picture, the red arrow points to the pin behind the frame you need to remove. You can see the other cotter pin and joint pin to the right of it.

The bottom picture shows where the spring attaches to the frame. Look for a small tab with a hole in it. The other end of the spring attaches to a small hook on the brake pedal itself. Just connect the two hooks together with pliers.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7453/brake.png (http://img23.imageshack.us/i/brake.png/)