PDA

View Full Version : Carb problem I believe.

adamson350r
12-23-2009, 05:31 AM
Has anyone ever had this happen? My brothers R has a 38 pwk air striker on his R. Well when we start it up and twist the throttle about mid throttle it starts gurgling a little and loses power bad. This is sitting idle. Cleaned Carb checked reeds. Will swap reeds cages with extra one next week. Anyone ever have this problem before?

86 Quad R
12-23-2009, 08:54 AM
is this something that started suddenly? it could be that the midrange(needle) is in need of adjusted but ive seen fuel/mix puddle in the bottom of the crankcase and need to be cleared out before the engine will run correct.

adamson350r
12-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I could mess with the needle. Right now it is in the middle and could need to drop a notch or two. I will have to check the Crank case oil. Quad sat for a couple of years in his garage. He tried to get it running this year and dumped it off on me to figure it out. If I cant fix the problem next week with reeds or Carburetor I am tearing the head off.

cdrookie
12-23-2009, 02:58 PM
did you ride it or just start it and let it sit? if it ran good before it's not gonna mysteriously need rejetted or a new reed cage. wouldn't take the head off either. if it has good compression and such, taking the head off won't do anything except make you buy a new head gasket. tranny oil is not what 86 quad R is talking about. he's saying oil and fuel can get puddled or gummed up in the crankcase and it'll need to be run a while to get it cleaned out.

is the air filter clean? no mouse nests in the air box?
spark plug nice and clean?
good gas?
no mouse nests in the pipe/silencer?
flywheel and stator rusty?
while it's running spray some carb cleaner around the gaskets to test for an air leak.

adamson350r
12-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Oh so that is what he means. Ya I dont think puddling Fuel is the problem. I bet it is the reeds.

Talked to my uncle Jim and he had the same problem and it ended up being a crack one of the reeds. Couldn't see it until he took the reeds off and bent the reed. So tonight I have another reed cage to put in for my brothers Christmas gift.

K&N was Clean. His 330 has great compression.

His quad is a sneaker. Looks original except for the 330. You think alright my 450 can beat this old 250 and wham you lost. I will have to post a pic of it.