PDA

View Full Version : need help ASAP! oil coming out breather

h400exrydr
12-22-2009, 07:34 PM
i have an '07 er. Its been sitting out in the shed for a few weeks in the cold cold weather. i started it up and brought it into the heated garage and there was a bunch of oil coming out of the air box. so i looked into it and it looks like all the oil is coming from the hose that is coming from the stator cover. what would cause this to happen? need help asap!! thanks

Rich250RRacer
12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Not the first time I've heard of this. Other than having the crank side over-filled, nobody seems to have a solid explanation for this. I just did a rebuild on an '08 that was doing the same thing before the rebuild, and it's still doing it. After studying the oiling diagram in the service manual, I'm leaning towards a faulty pressure relief valve, which is located in the stator cover just above the sight glass. Hopefully I'll get the quad back in my shop,
change the valve, and see what happens from there.

h400exrydr
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
thats kind of wat i was thinking that mayb a valve somewhere is stuck open

Scro
12-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Is the motor stock? How old are the piston rings?

h400exrydr
12-23-2009, 02:05 PM
No its not stock. Rings are only about ten hours old if that. There is a 15:1 compression piston in it if that matters

Scro
12-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Sometimes if the piston rings are worn or not staggered correctly, they will cause blow-by, which will cause pressure in the crankcase.

h400exrydr
12-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Well I think the rings are staggered right. They are supposed to be in thirds right? That's possible that they aren't right.

Rich250RRacer
12-23-2009, 05:44 PM
The one I just rebuilt has a new set of rings that are installed correctly, and the problem is still there. It is also basically a stock motor. Like I said previously, I'm leaning towards the relief valve. We'll see once the new once gets installed. I think the rings would have to be very far gone or seriously screwed up in gap placement to cause this much pressure. To bleed off that much compression should make it very difficult to start or even run.

h400exrydr
12-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Yea I think that sounds more like it. Ill probably tear it apart and either clean it or try to get a new one. Hopefully that will be it.

Rich250RRacer
12-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by h400exrydr
Yea I think that sounds more like it. Ill probably tear it apart and either clean it or try to get a new one. Hopefully that will be it.

They're not expensive at all. I believe around $14 from service Honda. You might want to order a stator cover gasket too, if yours has been on there for awhile it might not come off clean. If you turn the quad on it's side you won't even have to drain the oil, just pull the stator cover, remove the circlip that holds the valve in the cover and pull the valve out. I almost forgot, get the o-ring that goes on the valve also. I won't know the outcome of my issue until sometime next week at the earliest, so if you get yours replaced before that, please post the results.

RedRider08450r
12-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Dumb question how much oil do you have in it. My woman put to much in hers and it did the same thing. Drained a little out and no more blowing oil. Just a dumb idea. I assume you checked it.

h400exrydr
12-25-2009, 10:50 AM
i will go buy a valve thing tomorow when the place is open. but i have a little less than a quart of oil in it. i suppose its possible i could have too much in it. i drained it all already tho because i took the head off to put a ported one on. plus i was still using the oil from when i put the new piston in so it was time to change anyway.

BSTURDIVANT
12-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Check the line coming from valve cover for a kink or block- forces oil out through the stator vent!! Seperate lines at the tee and start up- excessive blowby will be noticed if rings not sealing!

BA400R
12-27-2009, 08:11 PM
check your vent tubes.been there done that.

h400exrydr
12-28-2009, 08:39 AM
alright ill look at all that. thanks for all the help.