PDA

View Full Version : Building a Gncc ready 400ex.

400exrider20
12-22-2009, 07:28 PM
I am in the process of finishing my quad all that is basically left is motor work. Can some people give me a set up they are running like with the cam, piston and other things to help the performance of the quad. I do not want to go radical with 440 kits.. 11.1 compression is what im thinking would be ideal. Thank you for any input
:)

TripleR400
12-22-2009, 07:43 PM
i personally would not run anything higher than 10:1 in a 400ex for gncc. it will generate more heat. What class do you planning on running?

400exrider20
12-22-2009, 08:00 PM
um to be honest I dont know it would be my first time racing. I have been riding since i was 8 but never have thought about racing till my dad brought up him racing when i was younger. I have thought about the over heating thing what if i ran a bigger oil cooler

TripleR400
12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
A bigger cooler would help, but i would worry more with suspension and practicing. Let's hear what you have done to it so far.

400exrider20
12-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Let see I have 450r shocks the rest of the bike is stock for now i plan on running holeshot gncc's the motor is what i have left

TripleR400
12-22-2009, 08:35 PM
get your shocks revalved, pipe, set of good tires (holeshots are good so are razr/razr2), maybe a steering stabilizer, and some good skid plates. Do some searching. Maybe some other guys will chime in, i know garon had a pretty darn good setup going with his 400

tri5ron
12-22-2009, 11:52 PM
How about a better exhaust system, (or at least a slip-on and grind down welds on OEM header),
and intake filter,
450R carb,
cam,
Sparks key,
anti vibe stem,
nerf bars,
bead locks

Zeb400EX
12-23-2009, 05:02 AM
You should defiantly look into getting a steer stabilizer. Those trees and rock hurt. Plus a stabilizer will help you arms from tiring out. Some hand guards would help on muddy races too. Killswitch. Maybe some beadlock wheels also.

m36indiana
12-23-2009, 05:15 AM
read the gncc rules i belive you have to run stock bore but im not sure.i raced last yr with stock bore 11:1 compression with stg 1 hot cam. 13 front sprocket 38 rear. didnt do to bad.

mitchamus
12-23-2009, 08:45 AM
As everyone already said.

Slip on pipe and jet.

Good air filter.

Suspension.

As for the motor you may just want to throw a stage 1 hotcam in there for now. Its cheap and will give it a little more grunt.
Nothing wrong with STOCK RELIABLE. Most of the GNCC races i see is the ability just to finish the race.

400exrider20
12-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Sorry i forgot to mention i have a yoshi slip on. and i dont like the skid plates i like how bill balance runs the sprocket guards. oh about the stock bore i cant i have to bore the cylinder due to the guy i bought it from ran it with out much oil and it scratched the walls of the cylinder. on the steering stabilizer which is better rotor or stick

Zeb400EX
12-24-2009, 02:47 AM
I think the rotor or puck style will be better for xc racing. I never had the stick kind but I know some people have trouble with them bending the shafts. The stick kind are use more for mx racing. For the skid plates, you should look at gt thunders new low profile swinger skid they have. It give you the protection you need but shouldn't hang you up on rocks and ruts as bad as the normal one will. I don't know if anybody makes rotor and sprocket guards for the 400 like the ones the ballance uses. You can always try to make your own. You can do the motor mods, but being your first year racing I would just try to make your quad and you as enduring as you can. What I mean is. The more you ride the more your body is going be able to last for 2+ hours of abuse. That said. The better the quads suspension is set up for xc you won't tire out as quick. So I would put most of your money in the suspension. You won't believe how much faster and how much long you can ride with good revalved front and rear shocks. If you don't want to spend a 7 or 800 on both fr and rear shocks. I would a least do the rear shock. A revalved rear should only be around 375 to 400. The stock 450 fronts will still be a improvement over stock,but the 400's rear bucks like crazy when hitting any kind of bump. Basically, with good suspension and being use to ride hard for long periods of time. You can out ride somebody else with a faster quad! Hope this helps.

bigbad400
12-24-2009, 06:47 AM
i dont know what you know about xc but thats not a race you want to go without skid plates. at least the swingarm skid. i would suggest protecting your machine and yourself to be able to take that abuse. good shocks all around. good tires stabilizer and you def want to have beadlocks or at least tireballs so you dont have to worry about flats. its not nessesarly who can make it to the end faster its more who can make it to the end. yeah first is best but if your machine is junk at the end and you cant go on or you brake your leg cuz you dont have nerfs,(you do have nerfs or at least heel guards right? i have a set ill sell if you dont) or something stupid you overlooked you will regret it. i wouldnt even worry about any motor work untill you can handle the abuse a 2-3 hour race can put on you.

pm me if you need nerfs or anything.

3400ben
12-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Suspension!!!! Suspension!!!!!! Supension!!!!! Before motor!!!!!! If you can't hang on to the handles, you can't push the throttle. When you get tired you make mistakes. IMO 95% of people don't ride there quad to it's full potential (motor wise).

400exrider20
01-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I know a good bit about gncc im going to run body skids but swing arm skids is what im worried about losing clearance and input on a go set of skids. As for suspension thats my next goal. The motor is in bad shape and needs to be rebuilt. But again Thank you for the input.