PDA

View Full Version : extending a arms

mycat8urskidoo
12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
anyone ever widen there a arms themselves? I've got an extra set and figure why not give it a shot, I dont see material really costing anything, and should be an hour or two of prep and measuring and half an hour of welding, anyone got any tips on where there best part to cut and actually scab the new pieces in?

Dylan227
12-22-2009, 06:46 PM
DO NOT DO IT if your gonna race

mycat8urskidoo
12-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Not Going to race, but what difference does it make?

Dylan227
12-22-2009, 06:58 PM
It messes up the geometry even for just fun riding and bumps will sna them like that.I had some for my mod and they snapped first little jump i Hit and we do all my modifacations a pro welder cant even do it right.

mycat8urskidoo
12-22-2009, 07:01 PM
just out of curiosity how much did you widen? I'm only thinking an inch per side, maybe two at the most

Dylan227
12-22-2009, 07:04 PM
3 inches but seriously do not recomend doing it man.Like when u weld them at the welds the move and you can't tell it and you just snap.

Ntensweapon
12-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure someone on here extended some stock arms with some level of success. I think he made a jig, sleeved a smaller rod inside the arms and welded. It looked ok?? Not something to rush through. I personally wouldn't try it but.... If I could remember more about it, I would post a link.

mycat8urskidoo
12-22-2009, 07:59 PM
I was planning on either a sleeve on the inside , or a half sleeve on the outside, bottom half more than likely, maybe even run it the whole length of the a arm, kind of a skid plate/reinforcement combo, If i Do go with 2 inches will all my stock stuff still work? shocks, tie rods, etc

tri5ron
12-22-2009, 10:45 PM
this may be what was previously mentioned

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=403505&highlight=extended+arms

jasonwayne222
12-23-2009, 10:17 AM
i bet it would be plenty strong if u did it like that, make sure u run ur sleeves as far in the tubes as possible and of course have an outer sleeve around it, leave an 1/8 inch gap on both sides so that way your weld will penetrate the a arm, the inner and outer sleeve in one weld.

go for it why not!! there extra anyhow

slightlybent47
12-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Do you really want to risk your life on it? Because that’s what you are going to do. There no way I would ride a bike with home made a arms on it. I have seen so many things break while racing and just ridding for that mater. These were factory or aftermarket parts that just snapped.

Spend the money and get some new one’s, don’t be a cheep ***.
If you want to weld something and be creative then pick something else to do.

Merry Christmas

CJM
12-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Sleeve the inside and outside the tubes and it will hold up fine

be warned tho, now that part is much stronger than the rest and thus the rest of the arm may bend or break.

mycat8urskidoo
12-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Do you really want to risk your life on it? Because that’s what you are going to do. There no way I would ride a bike with home made a arms on it. I have seen so many things break while racing and just ridding for that mater. These were factory or aftermarket parts that just snapped.

Spend the money and get some new one’s, don’t be a cheep ***.
If you want to weld something and be creative then pick something else to do.

Merry Christmas

I actually weld for a living so wanting to weld something isnt what im looking for, cheapass? yeah , big deal if i wasnt a cheap *** i'd be riding a brand new 450, risking my life? I'd trust my own weld over any of these chinese robot welds that are on the machines now

Merry Christmas

jasonanderson1
12-23-2009, 10:31 PM
honestly in my opinion ive almost loct my life more times then you can count on one hand and 3/4's them are all riding. Go for it if I were you Id go for it hes just sayign that if you die atleast theyre someone to blame other then or he just welded wrong, not hat your a bad welder. The tubes of aftermarket a arms are longer so theyre's less stress in the important area's. Its up to you Id get anotehr pair and do it if i wre u.

jfwyatt
12-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I made some years back. When i was going to school for welding and fabricating. I used the stock 250r pivote tubes and fabed everything else out of "1 chromoly tubing and i think i used leager ball joints. they worked ok but ended up replacing them with a set of Lonestar arms. dont risk huting yourself by cutting up factory arms. just find a used set for a few hundred bucks on ebayif moneys an issue.

jfwyatt
12-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Another idea i think i read that z400 a arms will fit with a little work and their about an inch wider.