View Full Version : Ok southern boys.....

Pappy
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Im starting to plan my early runs south once the 2010 season kicks off.

Rounds 1 & 2 of the GNCC are pretty well covered as I have the locales already scouted to do some more photography but rounds 3 and 4 are where I need some local type help.

I figure a few float trips on some local water down there might be just the ticket if the weather cooperates so if you are into kayaks or canoes and know the waters in any areas near these rounds (Yadkinville..Morganton...any west side area of NC and then around Columbia SC region as well) please post them up.

The water needs to be very easy to navigate as I will have a crap load of very expensive gear that I would prefer not to leave at the bottom of a river! Depending on what I figure out, I will bring a Kayak or my Sneak Boat.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

Pappy
12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Also, anyone in the Elk corridor of Kentucky.....looking to make a few runs in that region this winter and early spring. If you know the Elk in your region and can get in on them, then fill me in and I will come down. Knott County especially~!

TNT
12-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Hey Pappy I’m about 1.5 hours east of Columbia, SC by the ocean in Charleston incase you haven’t heard this is GATOR country......lol! You might get some good shots of some big teeth and ugly green eye balls no need to worry about your expensive gear Wally Gator will devor it like sushi........If you make it to round 3 you look pretty sharp in those gator boots depends on if you win or Wally......Gator are little tricker than bears, deer and elk you just never know when one might POP UP and eat you for din din!!! Lol.....Be carefull! Looking fwd to the photo’s!!

TNT :D

Pappy
12-22-2009, 06:22 PM
No worries...had my run in with them toothy *******s last year!

Eye level....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3007/3329183349_b9fcdbe692_o.jpg

Had to back up so the camera could focus on this one
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3360/3329183709_61feb685f8_o.jpg

He is about 10 feet from me...but it was cold out and it was ok ...explained the fat lady with a ranger shirt on haha

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3504/3315623586_3e0bbc2fe0_o.jpg

The sunrise gator. I did not even know they were at this locale....as I had my coffee and waited for the sun I spotted him. Weird feeling being in the middle of nowhere and having gators ALL around you. Sneaker SOB's!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3505/3315467316_8bfd6d04bb_o.jpg

fastredrider44
12-22-2009, 06:54 PM
We have Elk. In the Elk and Bison range in LBL. lol. Actually, LBL has all kind of critters running around. Anyway, I don't know how can can photograph gators. They're creepy animals.

LOL
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc281/fastredrider44/gator-1.jpg

Jersey450R
12-22-2009, 08:03 PM
^shopped

fastredrider44
12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Well yeah. lol. :blah:

rodeo#11
12-22-2009, 09:35 PM
im about 30mins outta morganton pappy. Ill ask some of my buddys down there no sooner i see them again.

Pappy
12-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by rodeo#11
im about 30mins outta morganton pappy. Ill ask some of my buddys down there no sooner i see them again.

I appreciate it!

I found a few links form another website that shows alot of public access to the water in that area but that doesnt equal there will be subjects worth shooting! If I can narrow down a few stretches of water to a few miles worth spending time on that would be a step in the right direction.

Cody and I did a nice 8 mile stretch twice....and its only good for about 4 weeks in the early fall for Hawks. Crazy how this all comes to play.

ben300
12-22-2009, 09:49 PM
pappy, if you want to do some photography work with some elk, you should take your wife and kids and come up here to pa for a day some time to elk county and check out some of the elk they have free ranging up here...you wouldnt have any problem filming them cause they're free ranging and probalby 99.9% of the tiem with in on 20 to 30 yards of ppl

Pappy
12-22-2009, 09:55 PM
The biggest issue with PA from what I understand is acess to them on private land? In KY, they can be found on coal land and on several WMA's and State Parks as they roam around.

If you know of some honey holes do tell!

ben300
12-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
The biggest issue with PA from what I understand is acess to them on private land? In KY, they can be found on coal land and on several WMA's and State Parks as they roam around.

If you know of some honey holes do tell!

i dont know anyone that lives there other than a friend that has a camp 20 miles from there, but every time ive been there, there have been herds with in 20 yards of the road, in town, at look out spots, designated viewing areas, the visitors center....

last time i was there, which was a year ago almost, there were 3 350+ bulls, in a herd of about 50, about 30 yards off the main road...

im sure, you being a photographer...ppl would not have any problem wiht you using their land to film tho...your not alloud to hunt them, but i imagine they get filmed all the time..

Pappy
12-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Iwill make a run up there next week and see what I can find. The fall is the best time but they should be herded up good with winter setting in.

I just hate the wide stuff, I like to work right up on them:p

jesseweaver
12-22-2009, 10:28 PM
yea theres a lot of big elk in northern PA i would reccomend looking into that. we used to always go see them when we went up to our old cabin and i remember seeing some big bulls. and yea you can hunt them but you need a special permit that you need to get from a drawing and from what i hear, your chances are about 1 in a million :blah: lol

Pappy
12-22-2009, 10:30 PM
If I hunt Elk, it will be out west....

Just the Nikon on this hunt:p

jesseweaver
12-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
If I hunt Elk, it will be out west....

Just the Nikon on this hunt:p

yea i doubt you could even get in the PA elk drawing if your a non-resident anyways.

ben300
12-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
yea i doubt you could even get in the PA elk drawing if your a non-resident anyways.

you cant, they only give out a small, adn i mean small, like four tags per year, through a drawing to residents

....but ppl are serioulsy misconcieved about the quality of pennsylvania elk...there are quite a few bulls that are near the 400" range and can easily make boone and crocket on a bad day...

..that misconcpetion is one reason why alot of chapters of the RMEF one the eastern side of the US is are folding and quiting because of some comments made by the RMEF president and soem of the RMEF's actions towards the whole eastern elk poplation...

pappy.. have fun, and id say thta you'll have a pretty easy time getting some good footage...adn say easier than if you were out west..

Pappy
12-22-2009, 11:03 PM
You can apply for a tag if you are a non resident, but the odds are very slim and the number of non resident tags are almost non existant.

Like ive stated, I am NOT interested in hunting them with a firearm.....just the Nikon.