PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a banshee !

t-train
12-22-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm looking to trade my '06 kfx 400 for a '01 banshee . My question is theg guy says it has a new topend bored 40 over, what does that mean and how long does that last ?

12-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by t-train
I'm looking to trade my '06 kfx 400 for a '01 banshee . My question is theg guy says it has a new topend bored 40 over, what does that mean and how long does that last ?

New top end- Fresh bore on the cylinder and slightly bigger pistons to go along with it.

40 over- It's on the .040 bore. (Being bored over is not a performance thing. .040 is barely anything, just a hair bigger so you can get a piston to match and have the proper tolerances)

A good fresh rebuild should last at least two seasons.

Take a compression test though. Some people slap new rings in them and call it a top end rebuild, when really it still is low compression.

If it's freshly rebuilt it should be around 125+ psi.

t-train
12-22-2009, 04:48 PM
How much over can you go without having to replace the jug ?

What should I look for or do when I go to test ride this thing before I trade ? He says he got it because he always wanted one and it's to fast for him. It has fmf pipes/silencers, and a boost bottle. Other than that it looks stock. He also said that it didn't need the topend he just wanted to be safe.

12-22-2009, 05:02 PM
How much over can you go without having to replace the jug ?

What should I look for or do when I go to test ride this thing before I trade ? He says he got it because he always wanted one and it's to fast for him. It has fmf pipes/silencers, and a boost bottle. Other than that it looks stock. He also said that it didn't need the topend he just wanted to be safe.

The jugs can go up to .100 over but it's not recommended. A safe ending point is about .080 over. Maybe even .090. So those jugs have decent life left.
You go in .010 increments.

Make sure it:

1) Starts up easy
2) Idles good
3) Stops smoking when warmed up (They always smoke when cold, but when warmed up, it should smoke very little if its jetted right)
4) Pulls pretty hard and hits powerband
5) Has good compression
6) Pull the filter and see if there's a lot of dirt in the intake (Shows if he properly maintained the filter)
7) Go over all the swingarm/axle/a-arm bushings and bearings to make sure they're tight.
8) Ask him what pre-mix ratio he runs

When tuned in correctly and running good, they're awesome quads. But when they're improperly tuned or beat the piss out of, they can be nightmares.

t-train
12-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Do you check compresion on left and right at one time or one at a time ? I hate to sound stupid but I haven't had a two stroke in 10 years and the guy that wrenched for me moved to cali. and now I have to learn.(lol) What are some good mods for ridind track/trail on these things ?

12-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Do you check compresion on left and right at one time or one at a time ? I hate to sound stupid but I haven't had a two stroke in 10 years and the guy that wrenched for me moved to cali. and now I have to learn.(lol) What are some good mods for ridind track/trail on these things ?

One side at a time. You need the tester for it.

And you already have bottom-end pipes on it, so a +4 timing stator plate and coolhead with smaller domes would do you well for the trails/track.

Nice set of front shocks will help too.

SandPsycho
12-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Id say keep the 400, its worth more than the banshee and its a better trail/track bike.