PDA

View Full Version : Lights don't work?

badquad
12-22-2009, 03:11 PM
I am working on a 2005 450R, all stock. The lights were not working and I noticed the bulbs were all white, so I figured they were out. I changed the bulbs and no light still.

The key switch is still on the bike. All connections look good. The inside of the light, what holds the bulbs in moves, or rattles, could this be it?

Is there a fuse box? Any suggestions? What would be volts running if I was to put a volt meter on the connections to see if the lights are getting power?

Sorry for the long thread.

miles Machine
12-22-2009, 03:48 PM
start at the socket with a multi meter and see if it gets voltage if it dosnt which is the case then start tracing wires from the socket.

badquad
12-22-2009, 04:53 PM
What volts should I get? Running? Not Running?

OR do I measure for resistance?

Thanks

miles Machine
12-22-2009, 05:11 PM
voltage....should be around 12 volts

atvnut22
12-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by badquad
What volts should I get? Running? Not Running?

OR do I measure for resistance?

Thanks

if its a 05, then it should have 12v running and 0v not running since it dont have a battery;)

miles Machine
12-22-2009, 08:08 PM
yeaa forgot to mention the running part lol

badquad
12-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I am not getting anything on the socket, or the wire harness (black connector) while running.

I had the bike running for about 20 minutes and the fan never turned on either. Brake and tail light does not work either.

I might try another meter, the meter I am using is not in great shape.

Would I get shocked by putting a screw driver across the socket while running, or does the socket need to be pushed in for contact.. I used a screw driver to push the socket down, and never got shocked while running... just curious.

I am in the middle of selling this 450, but I need the lights working before I let it out the door..

Any other ideas?/ Help?

miles Machine
12-22-2009, 10:11 PM
for it to spark you would have to touch the center and the inner wall of the socket....since your not getting lights its obvious that you were not gonna get voltage, what we were getting at is start from the source load that is not working and trace the wires that belong to it BACK USING THE VOLT METER TO CHECK VOLTAGE AND CONTINUITY ....srry caps lol

badquad
12-23-2009, 03:01 PM
THanks for the help. I spoke with my buddy who has a service manual and he looked at the wire diagram or something, but it sounds like there is a blue wire that feeds the lights, brake lights, tail light, and fan.. I will trace back through these wires and see where I come to.

I also spoke with my son and said the lights started acting funny when his brother crashed it.. It landed on the front left side. I will trace it this afternoon and see what happens.

THanks again for the replies.

miles Machine
12-23-2009, 03:27 PM
let us know the outcome of what you find

fastredrider44
12-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Front left side... Did the switches seem to get damaged in any way? Could the wires have been pulled at all? Also make sure that you aren't grounding out anywhere under the hood due to wires flopping or rubbing the frame through the insulation.

badquad
12-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Well I stripped all the wires on the left side, up to the main harness. They all look OK. The white connector that comes from the main harness to the ignition/ light on off switch connector seems to be acting funning.

I checked the 4 wires that come into that white connector (green, black, brown, white) I believe are the colors, and I am getting 12-13 volts from the brown one. The others I am not getting anything. This then goes to the switch then comes back to the lights as (blue, green, black) At the switch I was having some readings then once in a while I would not. At one time I was getting 12 at the light (black) connector but once I plugged into the socket for lights, nothing.

I think my main harness might be shorting out. I never got power to my blue connector for the fan.

I might just end up looking for a main harness and light switch harness.. ANY BODY have one for sale?

Thanks for the input.

miles Machine
12-24-2009, 03:45 PM
make sure you have a good ground

fastredrider44
12-25-2009, 09:59 AM
ditto.

Also depending on where you were testing voltage, you wont have any until you flip a switch. They should be hot going to all the switches though.

miles Machine
12-25-2009, 12:03 PM
i always test resistance in switches unplug the loom going to the pod and test you on off switch and the hi low switch for the lights you shouldn't get more than .04 ohms from switches. try to wiggle and jar the switches pod and loom to see if you get a open circuit or a short while doing this

badquad
12-26-2009, 12:00 AM
I will try this and see what I get.

Thanks.