PDA

View Full Version : can you use a 450r swingarm as a no link setup?

ballzdeep38
12-22-2009, 09:46 AM
I had tried to do the 450r swingarm swap for my 87 and had problems with the link and dogbone. so i went back to the stock swingarm. I have since been looking into a no link setup. I read that you can use a custom shock and the stock frame and swingarm to make a no link setup. If this is the case, can i do the same with the 450r swingarm? and can i just have my stock shock rebuilt/revalved for this? or would i need a different shock (like the 450r shock). Has anyone tried this?

ballzdeep38
12-24-2009, 11:32 AM
anyone? if i install the 450 swingarm, what length shock would i need to try this? what length shock is use when you use the stock swingarm/frame? can i just have the stock shock revalved?

jon370r
12-24-2009, 05:06 PM
The stock 450R swingarm is very close to the 250R in regards to the mounting and linkage points. If you found a no-link shock that worked with a stock style 250R swinger I'm sure it would work with a 450R swinger also. Not the best setup though because the shock would have to lay down quite a bit and you would not be able to run any airbox because of the lack of room taken by the shock.

ballzdeep38
12-24-2009, 05:35 PM
i figured it would not be the ideal no link setup. but a stock swinger/frame no link setup with a shock setup for it would be better than rebuilt/revalved stock setup right? i would want this to work best on the MX track. I am going to be swapping out the swingarm anyway and i figured that i could do this at the same time for a budget upgrade. do you happen to know the length of the stock shock? can i rebuild/revlave it for this type of setup? or will i need a new shock all together?

K-Dub
12-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Im no expert but Id say you would be better off running stock link for mx. Unless you buy a no link swing arm, there is a couple threads about this here. Doc bones has some good answers to this. He done it, but moved the stock frame shock mount. Walsh also sells a kit to convert the stock frame to a cr500 link, this is probaly the best for mx.

jon370r
12-24-2009, 05:55 PM
You would need a new shock. The stock one is split on the bottom for the linkage. You need one with a single point pivot eye.

jon370r
12-24-2009, 06:01 PM
With a stock frame its best to stick with the stock linkage set up. If your interested I have a aftermarket shock that works well. It came off my buddys quad that has been parted out. Not a very good pic but I'll sell it for $130 shipped.

eddie pettengil
12-24-2009, 09:50 PM
jon370r, what kind of rear shock is that.

jon370r
12-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I actually have no idea who made it and I have seen a few shocks in my day. It has B.E.B. engraved on the side of the body with a dete of 2/99 other than that I don't have a clue.