PDA

View Full Version : moving up to a 250

06raptor700
12-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Hey guys i am curious as to what age riders are moving up to the 250 atvs and how easy the transition was for them.

john willhoite
12-22-2009, 09:42 AM
My kid was 11 and it fits him perfect.

My 8 year old begs to ride it and can, but I don't feel to comfortable with him on it.

I thought they would have clutch problems, but it was very easy for them. 8 year old took off first try.

zgjttgd
12-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Manufacturer's suggestion and some State Laws say 16 to ride anything over a 90cc, but show me a 15 year old that has been riding for a while on a 90. My son moved up to a Blaster when he was 11, it was a little big for him at first, but he learned quickly. He is 14 now and still rides his Blaster although it's heavily modified now. When he is 16 he will move up to a 450cc. He is on the small side for a 14 year old, I see some 14s riding 450s already. The Blaster is great for him because he can really ride it hard and have full control over it. He has no problem riding my YFZ, but you can see it's a little big for him. The Raptor 250 is a great sport 250, I probably would have went with that if it was available when I bought the blaster. You can get some very nice '06 Blasters for $1,500 which is a great price. The Raptors are a lot more, but require less money to upgrade. In the end my son's Blaster smokes the Rappy 250 ATVs because of all the mods. I still have some things to add. We have rear Hipers to put on, but I need to switch out the hubs to fit the bolt pattern and Flexx bars. He also wants racing plastic. So far we have under $4,000 including the price of the "06 bike. We bought it in '07 in the crate as a program bike for $2500. I bought all of the parts off Ebay and forums for great prices. New we could have spent close to 7K. The Raptor 250 is starting to gain popularity and more and more aftermarket parts are coming out for it. Check out CT Racing they did a real nice build on one last year. Good Luck.

http://i34.tinypic.com/1129b88.jpghttp://i33.tinypic.com/730ajd.jpg