PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of the bolt-on wheel spacers - any good?

yophilly
12-22-2009, 09:19 AM
I need to widen the stance of my kids' LT80's and was looking into wheel spacers. Are the bolt-on 'bullet-style' spacers trouble? It seems like I would be asking alot of those three little lug studs.
Years ago I put nylon-ring type spacers on a raptor 660 that required removal of the studs, I didn't really like the engineering of those but they never failed, they just were a hassle when doing maintenance on the bike.
I know that buying new wheels with a wider offset is the answer but with two bikes, that plan will get expensive quick.
Just looking for some opinions from those who have done it....thanks and Happy Holidays, YO

rapple
12-23-2009, 07:14 AM
I put some on my son's LT80 last year and we've had no problems with them. If I recall, we went with 2" spacers on the front. For the rear, we just flipped the rims (They're offset, so if you flip them, you get about 2" of additional width) This puts the valve stems on the inside which is a little inconvenient, but not too bad.

The spacers will put a little more stress on the suspension, hubs, etc, but unless you use some really long ones, you'll probably be OK.

The steel/aluminum disc type spacers are probably a little better, but I haven't found any for under $100. The bolt types only cost around $15.

Hemi636
12-23-2009, 08:43 AM
We had them on our LTA & LTZ 50's worked good without any problems. Got them off ebay not expensive at all for a little more safety.

bportzel
12-26-2009, 02:37 AM
I bought a set of 3" bolt ons from midwest mini last year and they work great.

seabeebuggy
12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
you can have thespacers connected by flatbar making them work as a unit. You would just have to cut the bars if you want to remove them. I made a set of a-arms for the front, using the stock arms. Moved the wheels out 3'' and forward 1''. cost me about 15$