PDA

View Full Version : Z400 starter button problems (won't start)

jbltz450
12-21-2009, 09:57 PM
I am having problems with my starter button. Brand new wiring harness, brand new oem starter button/headlight switch, brand new battery, brand new Dyna CDI. When I turn the key on I have lights but when I hit the starter button nothin happens. Switch is in the on position, clutch pulled in. If I cross the starter relay with a screw driver it will turn over. Could it be the starter button or the starter? Even with the key off I can cross the starter relay and it will turn over?
Thanks for any help

miles Machine
12-22-2009, 03:33 AM
make sure you have a harness that maches the stop switch.....03's were different from 04 and up i can bet you have a miss matched harness and stop switch

miles Machine
12-22-2009, 03:35 AM
go to this post. at the bottom ive explained whats different between the diff years.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=418591

jbltz450
12-22-2009, 07:02 AM
thanks for that information. if i get rid of the oem switch and use a dirt bike style kill button, will that work?
Thanks again

miles Machine
12-22-2009, 10:28 AM
it all depends on what year wiring harness you have......if you can figure that out i can tell exactly how to wire it for the dirt bike button, but if you find out what year stop switch and harness you have i can tell you how to re wire the switch for it to work...ive done it before with a few bikes.

jbltz450
12-22-2009, 05:06 PM
my wiring harness is an 03 for sure, so I guess my switch is for an 04. how should I go about wiring in the dirtbike style switch and how to do it for the oem switch?

miles Machine
12-22-2009, 05:15 PM
well for the dirtbike button all your gonna need is to wire one side to the orange wire which is your switched hot from the key and the other to the black yellow wire which runs to the solenoid now unless you use another dirtbike button for the stop switch you will have to use the key to shut it off....for the other you will have to cut the stops switch sub harness in half and re solder them to work for the 03 harness but ill have to get back to you on that i dont have the wiring diagram in front of me.