PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio For Idiots (the idiot being me)

hondariderdylan
12-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Ok, im getting my license in the next few weeks and i love listening to music while i drive (i almost cant do it without)

I went and got me a cassette adapter to play my ipod through my broncos stereo and the sound quality is horrible and i think the stock radio has about had it. (92 model BTW) I know very basic system components such as the subs are what people are talking about when they say they have a set of 12's in there car. I know that tweeters are what give you your high sounds. Thats about it.

please forgive me if i screwed up already. I just would like to know the basics of it all and what a good setup for my truck would be. i have searched around on a few audio forums and everything was way over my head.

ANY help would be appreciated:)

400exrider707
12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
I'd start with a decent cd player, maybe something relatively inexpensive that has a wide range of capabilities. You can easily purchase a decent deck for less than $150 that will play all formats of music, have a USB input and an audio-in input, as well as at least one set of outputs if you choose to expand later and get an amp and subs.

With the CD player I'd get a set of good speakers that go in the factory locations. A good set of speakers with an aftermarket deck will be a great improvement over what you have now, trust me. If that's not enough or gets boring after a while, then you can advance further.

www.crutchfield.com will let you put in you car make and model and tell you what fits, its a nice guideline to see what fits and what doesn't. You can usually find the stuff cheaper else where, but I have also bought from them with great luck and great customer service as well.

I did a lot of traveling in my truck and was in the same position, upgraded my deck with MP3 capability and USB input (two things I was looking for...), got infinity 5x7's in all four doors, and added sirius radio. Between the Sirius, the USB sticks I have loaded with music, my Ipod and my cd collection, I never get bored listening to music!

brian76708
12-21-2009, 08:54 PM
some info on what type of music you listen to would be helpful and how much $ you got to spend audio isn't cheap. Also i suggest updating all stock speakers before you get a sub. this is often over looked as well as tweeters. nothing more do i hate when someone has retarded bass and no tweeters for the highs.

brian76708
12-21-2009, 08:58 PM
[i]Originally posted by
www.crutchfield.com will let you put in you car make and model and tell you what fits, its a nice guideline to see what fits and what doesn't. You can usually find the stuff cheaper else where, but I have also bought from them with great luck and great customer service as well.[/B]

yeah crutchfield is a good site for a reference but there prices are really high. I ushually look at review and info there and buy the same thing from amazon. for instance the 6.5" boston acoustic speakers i just got were 100 less on amazon.

hondariderdylan
12-21-2009, 09:00 PM
thanks for the replys.

i listen to mostly everything
a little rap
country
a little screamo
classic rock
country rap:D
the works.

this is going to be an ongoing project that im going to bite off a little at a time.

i was thinking about getting a box behind my back seat and get an a-pillar gauge pod and put tweeters at the top on both sides.

yfzrider690
12-21-2009, 09:03 PM
I would go to cructchfield and see what size speakers fit where your stock ones are. If you don't want to spend a ton then go to walmart, you can get a decent pioneer deck for around 150 and they have pioneer speakers that will replace the stock ones for a good price to. Also the deck should have hookups for your ipod. I'm not saying there the best stuff out but pioneer makes pretty good stuff for the price.

hondariderdylan
12-21-2009, 09:04 PM
i did the thing at crutchfeild and i this is what i have to work with: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rzOn4VBstrK/app/car/mycar.aspx

BTW, i would rather do this slowly and use good quality parts and pieces instead of having to go back through and replace cheap stuff later.

yfzrider690
12-21-2009, 09:05 PM
The link doesn't do anything but go to the page where you enter your vehicle.

hondariderdylan
12-21-2009, 09:07 PM
dammit, lol
it says:

in-dash stereo
6-21/32" depth; Size code E,M1,S

Front speakers
Front Door: 6-1/2"

Far rear speakers
Mid Panel: 6x8"

yfzrider690
12-21-2009, 09:10 PM
You can get the 6 1/2's for sure at walmart for probably around 40-50 bucks for 2 or 3 ways. Not sure on the 6x8's but you might be able to fit 6x9's in there. They will sound way better than stock, also just the deck will make the stock speakers sound better if you only wanna get one thing at a time.

400exrider707
12-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
yeah crutchfield is a good site for a reference but there prices are really high. I ushually look at review and info there and buy the same thing from amazon. for instance the 6.5" boston acoustic speakers i just got were 100 less on amazon.

Occasionally they'll have smoking deals on a deck and throw in a free set of speakers or something though. I've gotten a few good deals on there and still buy decks from there because sometimes it's still cheaper once you factor in all the free stuff they throw in. Most times, decks and speakers can be had cheaper else where too.

I will say look real well into warranties first, I bought a touch screen DVD player before that wasn't warrantied because I didn't buy it from a "certified dealer" and crutchfield is always a dealer for these products from what I've seen.

Originally posted by yfzrider690
The link doesn't do anything but go to the page where you enter your vehicle.

His first post says 92 bronco.

hondariderdylan
12-21-2009, 09:16 PM
so do you guys think this would be a good set up?

nice set of 6 1/2's in the doors
nice set of 6x9's in the rear
nice aftermarket deck

and later add a box with some subs in the back and some tweets up front?

yfzrider690
12-21-2009, 09:17 PM
The speakers you are gonna put in so should be good enough as long as you get some that have the tweeters built in, like some 3 or 4 way speakers, then you won't have to add them later. But I think what you have should make a big difference.

hondariderdylan
12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
The speakers you are gonna put in so should be good enough as long as you get some that have the tweeters built in, like some 3 or 4 way speakers, then you won't have to add them later. But I think what you have should make a big difference.

hmmm.. didnt know that some had tweets built in. would they run more than regular speakers?

brian76708
12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
so do you guys think this would be a good set up?

nice set of 6 1/2's in the doors
nice set of 6x9's in the rear
nice aftermarket deck

and later add a box with some subs in the back and some tweets up front?

yes, but i suggest adding tweeters when you do the sub it makes a huge difference. Think of a sub as one extreme and a tweeter as the other when you put one in you have to have the other to balance it IMO

yfzrider690
12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Ya, what did you think the little speakers are in the middle of the big speaker. Here is a picture of a 6.5 pioneer speaker.
http://www.autotoys.com/pics/pioneer1671speaker1.jpg

hondariderdylan
12-21-2009, 09:23 PM
yes, but i suggest adding tweeters when you do the sub it makes a huge difference.

i figured it probably would.
Just kind of tie it all together.

yfzrider690
yes, but i suggest adding tweeters when you do the sub it makes a huge difference.

Just depends on if you get good speakers or not. I have a '02 avalanche with all of four of my door speakers being pioneer 4 way 6.5's with 2 12 inch jl w7 12's and it is crystal clear and pounds pretty good.

hondariderdylan
Ya, what did you think the little speakers are in the middle of the big speaker. Here is a picture of a 6.5 pioneer speaker.
http://www.autotoys.com/pics/pioneer1671speaker1.jpg

neat.
i guess i just dont pay attention. :p

fastredrider44
12-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Sometimes, you can get pretty good bargains on speakers on fleabay. But in all honesty, you can have the best speakers in the world, and it will still sound like crap if you don't take the time to adjust everything properly. This is where a quality headunit comes in. Many of the higher end headunits will also sound clearer and put more power to the speakers.

brian76708
12-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Just depends on if you get good speakers or not. I have a '02 avalanche with all of four of my door speakers being pioneer 4 way 6.5's with 2 12 inch jl w7 12's and it is crystal clear and pounds pretty good.

yea it sounds good but tweeters would make it sound even better IMO with 2 12s that's a lot of bass for 4 door speakers to keep up with even if there top quality.

Originally posted by fastredrider44
But in all honesty, you can have the best speakers in the world, and it will still sound like crap if you don't take the time to adjust everything properly. This is where a quality headunit comes in. Many of the higher end headunits will also sound clearer and put more power to the speakers.

i couldn't agree with this more i constantly change my setting for each song lol but that partly because i dont have all the equipment to keep up with the sound level i want to reach and bass. But nowadays you can find decent head units with many adjustments for around 140-200 just make sure you get one where the eq is adjustable and not the stupid rock country pop settings

hondariderdylan
12-22-2009, 08:25 AM
just so im not stupid, a "deck" and a "head unit" are both other words for the cd/radio right?

fastredrider44
12-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Lol! yes. I'm just glad you asked for help and are listening instead of asking for help and reading a bunch of elsewhere and try to talk like a know it all. Good advice being given on here. :D

06typeS
12-22-2009, 09:34 AM
When i was younger i was into car audio

Its going to come down to how much you want to spend, agreed getting some new door speakers and a new head unit will be a big upgrade. But if you compared the sound of a decent 3way to a top of the line 3way you will hear a difference.

Any decent head unit, alpine, pioneer, jvc, sony etc.... will work good, everyone will have their own preference in what they like the best.

Get a good set of corresponding speakers and you will be set.

Buy for your needs, evidently using an ipod you want the auxillary jack to go with it. You don't have to spend 2k dollars to have a good sounding system.

Just do your research and buy what your willing to spend.

derekhonda
12-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Lots of good info in here, but I'm gonna play the devils advocate for a minute.

It sounds like you are not gonna go out and stick a 2,000 dollar system in your car right away, which is very smart. If I were you, I would update the H/U and maybe your door speakers, and then leave it for 6 or 8 months.

Don't go putting a loud *** system in your car right away before you have atleast some experience driving. Driving is a different bird altogether, and you need to be focused on the road and paying attention, not fiddling with your radio trying to find the song thats gonna bump the loudest.

mineralgrey01gt
12-22-2009, 10:05 AM
hey man if you need a good cd player I have an awesome ipod only radio. Its an Alpine X001. It was $500 when it came out. It works great but you have to have an ipod/iphone to use it. It DOES NOT HAVE A CD PLAYER. It has a radio like normal but it uses the ipod for the music. Ill sell it for $75 shipped

hondariderdylan
12-22-2009, 01:43 PM
thanks for the replys
and yes, tons of good info from you guys

i think what derekhonda said is probably what i will do, get a good HU with and ipod jack and a decent set of door speakers:cool:

400exrider707
12-22-2009, 03:49 PM
It says a 6x8 fits in your rear speakers, not 6x9. You MIGHT be able to make it fit, but why not just get the 6x8/5x7 that fits there. This is very popular with Ford. I have had my Infinity 5x7's (same as the 6x8's) in my 95 ranger, then my 97 ranger, and now my 06 F250.

Also just so you know, you can usually get the speakers and decks cheaper than crutchfield, but dont forget to add the cost of all the mounting hardware and wiring. Sometimes it is just cheaper to go through crutchfield.

When I got my speakers it came with the wire harnesses, speaker brackets, and detailed instructions.

yfzrider690
12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Usually most speakers will come with the wires and everything you need to put them in. You can get the wiring harness for the deck at walmart for like 10 bucks and don't have to cut anything. It's so easy to do.

12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
My advice:
Buy from Crutchfield
Dont buy from WalMart
Look up reviews and specs to compare

My input:
I have a Sony headunit which I love. It has everything I need besides HD or Sattilite Radio which my phone takes car of. PolkDB 2 way 6.5" in the door, PolkDB 3 way 6x9 in the rear deck, Kicker Comp CVR 12's in the trunk. Too much in subwoofers than is ever needed to have a good setup. I dont see screaming highs and thunder bass as a good setup like most do. I am all for balance and clearity. The Polk sound great! Once you go with nice aftermarket speakers you will hate driving something without them. I have the stock tweeters in the doors which I want to replace because its the only thing not upgraded.

yfzrider690
12-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Why would you buy from crutchfield when you can get the same thing for cheaper and get it the same day and not have to wait for shipping.

12-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Why would you buy from crutchfield when you can get the same thing for cheaper and get it the same day and not have to wait for shipping.

Because its not the same thing. I dont feel like making a speech on this but its the same product number but not physical product. And... most of the ****, yes **** they sell at walmart for audio is just that, ****.

yfzrider690
12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Whatever you say, I'm not gonna argue you with you about where to buy stuff at. I have bought a couple pioneer decks from walmart didn't have any problems and were cheaper than any of the other places around such as best buy, car toys or circuit city.

Kickstarts-suck
12-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
Because its not the same thing. I dont feel like making a speech on this but its the same product number but not physical product. And... most of the ****, yes **** they sell at walmart for audio is just that, ****.

lmao please tell me how its the same product number but its not the same product...

I agree with no buying all your car audio from walmart but just because they dont carry high end products.

yfzrider690
12-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Ya I was kind of wondering the same thing. They have the same model numbers so whats the difference.

400exrider707
12-22-2009, 04:39 PM
I hate wal-mart so I wont buy anything from them unless necessary. I'd pay double for the same product to not buy it there.

Yes Wal-mart's audio selection is garbage.

Like I've said before crutchfield is also a "certified dealer" for all of their products. Some of the decks I've bought on ebay were not from "certified dealers" I only found this out after I needed warranty work.

Crutchfield also has the new "signature series" stuff which is just awesome. Free 3 day shipping, free lifetime tech support, real cool.

Also yes, the harness for the decks is about $10, the mounting setup is usually $15-$25. Crutchfield sends all this for free, and with Ford's they even send the factory radio removal tool for free.

Now I have already said you can get the stuff cheaper sometimes, elsewhere, but you need to really consider everything I've said above. It comes down to what you can get for what cost and from where, and sometimes the hassle sourcing all of the other parts isn't worth it. I cant go down to Wal-mart and tell them the speakers didn't fit right and have them fix it. Crutchfield will though. I've had them send me all sorts of brackets and harnesses for free. Great customer support. Support those that support you.

400exrider707
12-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
lmao please tell me how its the same product number but its not the same product...

I agree with no buying all your car audio from walmart but just because they dont carry high end products.

Now I dont know about audio stuff, but some stuff this is actually true.

I know one example... their tires they sell there. You can get "such and such" tire from Wal-mart for less money usually, but they actually use different compounds for tires and what not, exclusive to Wal-mart. You pay less and get less... go figure. This I know for a fact. I would never buy tires from wal-mart.

rbgnwa45
12-23-2009, 01:40 AM
If you aren't a basshead and want a bottom octave punch than a 10" in a sealed box on 500w is enough. My dad had a sealed 10 on 220w in his car and it was more than enough. Me on the otherhand got a 12" in a ported box on 1500w and my rearview fell off twice. If you want to hit 150dB than you CAN do it with 2 10's and upwards of 10,000w @ resonant frequency. If you want some daily basshead than aim for the single largest sub you can use in a ported box just because it'll be cheaper (10"-1.5,12"-2.5,15"-4,18"-8 cubes), with 14-16 square inches of port per cubic foot, tuned 30-35hz, 1000-2000 watts is plenty. If using a sealed box the only sub I can recommended is the Eclipse SW8200, I had 2 12's sharing 750w (670 rms each) and they hit sooo low, compared to a 35hz tuned box I had for an RE XXX 12, using half power. You know when you have your window open going down a hill and you can hear it pressurizing and it kinda makes a "woooosh" sound? At 20hz it was like that only x10, from a sunfire trunk. They have low efficiency which is bad. The 12 requires 1.25 to 1.75 cubes. Eclipse tech told me 1.5 cubes is a 35hz tune and 1.75 cubes is a 30hz tune. Buy what you actually want, don't switch setups 10x a year, it's expensive buying something and selling it 3 months later for way less than what you bought it for. Also think about gas mileage. With a sturdy box, 2 12's, 4k, and 2 batteries to power it is like 350lbs. If you're using a sub that's heavy than buy a single bigger one, you'll spend less on power upgrades. If you're going cheap than port it. If you're going for SQL than try 4 sealed 12's on 3k. I'd love to hear 4 SW82's. I can fit them all in my trunk, too. $200 per. Too bad they're discontinued.