PDA

View Full Version : Recall on clutch

400exc
12-21-2009, 07:06 PM
My Can Am dealer called me today saying they recieved a service bulletin about something wrong with the clutch. They said it was something about bolts? I couldn't hear what he was saying too well. But only certain serial numbers need the fixing. Anyone else have this problem and need it fixed?

TNT
12-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Are you referring to SB 2009-9?

xrxmxcx
12-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Anything bolt related would be an update on the flywheel/stator I believe. They were replacing the bolts in them.

As far as a "service update" on the clutch, it is not a recall. The clutch update is only done to affected 2008-2009 models POST DEALER INSPECTION. Meaning, if the dealer test rides it and notices the squeel, they can and will apply the update. IF YOU pick up the ATV, and DO NOT make note of it before it leaves the dealership, the cost comes out of your pocket!

BlackTrx440ex
12-22-2009, 03:13 PM
my clutch is starting to squeel what is the problem with it???

kellymi
12-22-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by BlackTrx440ex
my clutch is starting to squeel what is the problem with it???

Probably needs the update.

Racers Dad 37
12-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Tie your clutch lever pulled in and lean your quad over to the clutch side put something, stand, milk creat, bucket under the end of the bars to hold it and let stand like that for 30/40 min.

THIS IS NOT WITH IT RUNNING!

Let it down let it stand for 5 min. then start it take it ride and see if it helps

squeel may just be from dry clutch plates remember the up date fogs the clutch area with oil

TNT
12-22-2009, 07:06 PM
You better go get the update or you may get into some expenses you don't want to see. We have seen too many clutch baskets break out here that can ruin a motor. Look up the 2009-9. What happens is the plates break due to a lack of pressure and oiling from the cover journal to the inside of the clutches hit the basket and cause it to crack off, the vertical tabs, and in some cases at the base plate bolts completely shear off big chunks of metal into the motor, It's nasty!

Get all the updates flywheel too as XRX stated, don't mess w/either or chance it. We've seen some dealers do more than others, like ours will do the updates regardless if it's before or after the sale......If that clutch fails and it's due to a known design flaw w/ a service bulletin that denotes it and the Dealer refuses to acknowledge it heard or unheard squeal it's still wrong, as we all know the 08's had the wrong design. BRP has been pretty good about covering it. I'd hope they would further prevent cost repercussions and warantee claims and do it before alot more goes wrong and related expensive to them or the owner, that may not have known any better nor the dealer as it appears in this case. As a dealer I would think you have to disclose all the known issues and "SB" not the buyer, or call them what you want I call them 'design flaws'!!! :D

400exc
12-23-2009, 04:20 PM
He said that there is a lower engine mount problem too in the service bulletin. The next time I am there Ill ask about the clutch update. Do any of you know if there is software out that they can upload to the quad to make it start better in the cold? My dealer said that they make it for some quads but didn't know about the 450. It helps with how grumpy the 450 is when you start it cold.

Blizzard24
12-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Not sure if there is any kind of software to help cold starting, but I dont have a problem starting cold.
Stay off the gas and let it turn over a few times, dont touch the throttle until the bike is warmed up, after it is warmed up it starts w a few cranks even on the coldest days.

cookltr78
12-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by kellymi
Probably needs the update.
Haha. If you ride it like a man it squeels
dont worry about it

ds450xracer
12-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Does the clutch update help with the porblem of having all the rivets holding the basket in breaking off?

TNT
12-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by ds450xracer
Does the clutch update help with the porblem of having all the rivets holding the basket in breaking off?

IMO it will since I think what was happening as I described above is due to lack of pressure they added a plate and inverted it, changed the hub length to get better friction/pressure to not break one, plus added oil to keep the heat, binding, and wear down. The speed the basket is turning w/lots of centrifigal(outward) force, if a plate breaks and hits a vertical tab made of aluminum it will put a huge bending moment and torque on the web where the rivet hole and cross section is weakest.

400exc
01-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Does the mount update help with the case cracking at all?

xrxmxcx
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by TNT
IMO it will since I think what was happening as I described above is due to lack of pressure they added a plate and inverted it, changed the hub length to get better friction/pressure to not break one, plus added oil to keep the heat, binding, and wear down. The speed the basket is turning w/lots of centrifigal(outward) force, if a plate breaks and hits a vertical tab made of aluminum it will put a huge bending moment and torque on the web where the rivet hole and cross section is weakest.

We have still seen some failures on bikes with the clutch service update. Most of the time it is caused by external loads from say, a down shift mid-air, sudden stop of the machine without clutch use, etc. TNT has valid points, but the bottom line is that the material isn't substantial. Most aftermarkets cure this, best hang for your buck is the Hinson, secondly the Motoworks basket.