PDA

View Full Version : How to know if carrier is bad....

yfzrider310
12-21-2009, 05:24 PM
So my bearing on the sprocket side blew out and when I took out my carrier a whole bunch of bb's and clips fell out. Now it looks fine but wouldn't you think having those ball bearings flying around there, **** would get wrecked? I'm assuming there is some damage but im not sure what to look for. Everything visible in the carrier looks and feels smooth but my friend with a 400ex blew his carrier bearing and destroyed his carrier. So idk what to do here. I rode for probably 15 miles in the ditch after I realized it was bad to get home.

greasesucker
12-22-2009, 08:14 AM
i would just take some emery cloth to the inside of the carrier and try to smooth it out real well. if you don't see any big dings put a new set of bearings in it. i just had to on mine but they didn't blow apart, but not too far from it. if the new bearings go in evenly then you shouldn't have a problem.

mxpimp2000
12-24-2009, 01:21 AM
if the outer race of the bearings are still pressed in the carrier then its prb still good just check the carriers surface where the bearings go if you can post a pic we can tell u a 90% chance by a pic

hendershot106
12-29-2009, 09:37 AM
most likely if the bearing race is still intact and the outer seal lips are still intact your carrier is fine. Pry the outer seals out of the carrier and check for gouging and grooving. If no problems pop out the bearing races and again check for grooving...if no grooving get some new bearings..press them in and put it back together.