PDA

View Full Version : GoPro SDHC cards

riding4fun
12-21-2009, 03:05 PM
OK, I ordered my son a Gopro hd for xmas. Now, I see it takes a sdhc card. What card is adequate for this camera. I see there is a wide difference in thses cards. Would a 8 gb or 16 gb work. Some prices are good and some are really high.

Looking for some info so I can have one when he opens it up.

Thanks,
Darrell

Pappy
12-21-2009, 03:16 PM
You will have to check with gopro or someone who has the new HD unit as some units will not work with the larger cards. The gopro hreo wide will only accept up to a 4 gb card I believe.

CannondaleRider
12-21-2009, 03:46 PM
The GoPro Hero Wide, with the new firmware will accept an 8GB SDHC card...but only records to 4GB's, then you will have to start another recording(another file)

The GoPro HD Hero will accept a 32GB SDHC card, for a total of 9 hours. I think that's a little excessive, being it only records 2 and a half hours on a charge. But, in a situation where you can charge it, but not transfer files off the card...say, on a long weekend at a trail system, then I guess I could see it.

But, yes, an 8GB or 16GB card will work just fine.

Pappy
12-21-2009, 03:47 PM
There ya go, I knew it was something with the older models:p I reckon I will do an update !

NacsMXer
12-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
The GoPro Hero Wide, with the new firmware will accept an 8GB SDHC card...but only records to 4GB's, then you will have to start another recording(another file)

The GoPro HD Hero will accept a 32GB SDHC card, for a total of 9 hours. I think that's a little excessive, being it only records 2 and a half hours on a charge. But, in a situation where you can charge it, but not transfer files off the card...say, on a long weekend at a trail system, then I guess I could see it.

But, yes, an 8GB or 16GB card will work just fine.

Exactly, I would go ahead and get the 16 GB SDHC card personally. I have been shopping around for one myself. You can get 16 GB cards on Ebay for only about $10 more than what you pay for an 8 GB card in a store. $10 more for twice the memory is definitely worth it, especially when you look at the huge price jump for the 32 GB card.

I'm not sure if getting a high speed card matters for the GoPro HD. I have a Sandisk Ultra II class 4 SDHC in my DSLR camera, so I may get the same type for the GoPro. I just don't know if there are the same benefits using it in a movie camera?

riding4fun
12-21-2009, 04:19 PM
OK, I saw one card that can record at 15 mb/s and the more expensive at 30mb/sec.

NacsMXer
12-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
OK, I saw one card that can record at 15 mb/s and the more expensive at 30mb/sec.

The 15 mb/s is called a Class 4 SDHC card. The 30 mb/s card is a Class 6.

The Class 6 is a little excessive, most people will never need something that fast. But like I said, i'm not sure of the full benefits with a faster card with the GoPro. Just that with digital photo cameras, a faster card means more shots can be taken in succession, and faster processing when transferring files to your computer. Maybe it is similar with the GoPro video camera? I'll wait for someone to chime in about that.

fastredrider44
12-21-2009, 09:20 PM
So where can I get one of these card locally? I ordered one, and hope to play with it a little bit on Christmas day.

NacsMXer
12-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
So where can I get one of these card locally? I ordered one, and hope to play with it a little bit on Christmas day.

Best Buy, Staples, Officemax, etc. There's a lot of sales on the cards going on in stores right now before Christmas ;)

fastredrider44
12-21-2009, 09:39 PM
So I order a GoPro HD last week. I guess all I need is a 16 GB card, as 32 would probably just be overkill for anything I would be doing. So what class and all that do you reccommend?

Ichoptop
12-22-2009, 08:31 AM
check the cards first. A class 4 card is necessary for shooting HD. I just bought a 32gb card for my new Motorsport HD. I went to Best Buy and they wanted 79.00 for a 16gb card. While standing there looking at them I got on my phone and got onto Microcenters website. I ended up driving 6 miles and got a 32gb card from Microcenter for 99.00. 6 Miles and 20 extra dollars and I got twice the card.

Ryan
12-22-2009, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't worry about using the faster memory card - 15mb vs 30mb . Nacsmxer pretty much explained it very well. I don't see any reason why it would have any affect on the actual filming itself. Alot of photographers perfer the faster cards so the images are written to the card quicker, and deleted quicker (less lag time).

I would get a 4 or 8gb for now. They aren't to expensive. And when it comes time to needing more memory, I personally would rather have two 4gb cards than one 8gb card, incase of card damage.

I got my gopro in yesterday. Came with a 4gb card which was nice. I spent hours last night trying to really figure this thing out. The directions are crap and leave out a ton of information! Im gonna do a write up later today with pictures to save some new camera users alot of time and headaches.

fastredrider44
12-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Score! Just got a Kodak 16gb card from Office depot on sale for 50 bucks. The package says SDHC High-Speed Card. 60x speed-9MB per second. Whatever all that means... I think its's a class 4.

KXRida
12-23-2009, 05:18 AM
Personally, (this is just me) I buy the 4gb cards and just swap them out. 4gb cards were $8.99 on black friday so I picked up 7 of them. Pretty much ever camera I have takes them. I imagine if I bought the go pro HD I'd buy a little better card lol.

riding4fun
12-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
I wouldn't worry about using the faster memory card - 15mb vs 30mb . Nacsmxer pretty much explained it very well. I don't see any reason why it would have any affect on the actual filming itself. Alot of photographers perfer the faster cards so the images are written to the card quicker, and deleted quicker (less lag time).

I would get a 4 or 8gb for now. They aren't to expensive. And when it comes time to needing more memory, I personally would rather have two 4gb cards than one 8gb card, incase of card damage.

I got my gopro in yesterday. Came with a 4gb card which was nice. I spent hours last night trying to really figure this thing out. The directions are crap and leave out a ton of information! Im gonna do a write up later today with pictures to save some new camera users alot of time and headaches.

The write up would be great. I picked up a 16gb SDHC for $32 and they gave me $10 mail in rebate also.

sunco
12-24-2009, 09:20 AM
I know w/ my camara I'd rather a few smaller cards than just on big one. Like it was said before everythings quicker to do. JMO.
Merry X-Mas all