PDA

View Full Version : Arctic cat 50cc speed limiter?

12-21-2009, 07:57 AM
I have purchased a 50cc 2003 Arctic cat quad for my son. What are the speed limiters on this quad? I have adjusted the throttle screws so the slide goes to the top, but it seems like it does not "shift". Does it have the clutch spacer like my 2006 Suzuki 4 stroke LT50? Is this a Suzuki built quad?

Kurt

Reimer Racing
12-21-2009, 03:17 PM
I have 3 friends that have your model this is what we did.

If you buy the cdi that goes to the 90cc version you will be more than happy.

Also buy off ebay the hub and sprocket from a used Polaris 90cc. It will be a 35 tooth. You will need the hub also because yours is a 4 bolt and the Polaris is a 3 bolt.

It might have the spacer in it, 1 had it in the other 2 did not.

12-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I did pull it apart after I posted and the clutch did have the limiter, now it's gone! It does seem to have a low rpm limit in the ignition now, is that what the 90cc box cures? What company sells that box, or is it a dealer thing?
Thanks a bunch for your help!

Kurt
Originally posted by Reimer Racing

Also buy off ebay the hub and sprocket from a used Polaris 90cc. It will be a 35 tooth. You will need the hub also because yours is a 4 bolt and the Polaris is a 3 bolt.

Reimer Racing
12-22-2009, 05:49 AM
just buy the stock CDI for a 90cc Artic cat. If you want pm me your phone number and I will explain everything. Paul

redonkulousruntsracing
12-22-2009, 12:55 PM
or just get a CDI box from Hetricks, that does away with the rev limiter

Reimer Racing
12-22-2009, 01:52 PM
You are right he could buy one from Rich.

But the stock replacement for a 90cc will do the same thing, remove the rev limiter. He will not have to cut his wires to connect to his wiring harness. Just plug and ride. Plus it is only 45.00 from dealer.

redonkulousruntsracing
12-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Shoot, wish I knew that back when my kid had his '03 Bomber DS50.

Reimer Racing
12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Changing the back sprocket to the Polaris 90cc 35 tooth made a big difference.

For those who race the Artic Cat 50 stock class, the 90cc Cdi is the only replacement OEM part for the 50cc. :)

12-23-2009, 05:45 AM
I would like to raise the rpm limit as it is so low the engine sounds like somethings wrong. If the box for the 90cc will do it and is 45 dollars I will be a happy man. If you get a chance to call me and explain some of the changes needed i would be appreciate it Reimer!

734-502-8518
Kurt

01-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Reimer,
The 50cc ignition box is 55 dollars (3301-595) at my local dealer and the 90cc ignition box is 170 dollars (3305-861). Do you know which one I need to raise the rpm limit?
Also can you sell me the rear sprocket and hub for the faster gear ratio? Not confident that I can id the right part on ebay, so I would rather buy the parts from someone that knows.

Kurt

DAVYS DAD
01-06-2010, 09:07 AM
427,Hi Dave Woodbury here I was wondering if you would like your son to do some racing here in michigan?Please contact me if you are interested woodburyboyz@hotmail.com Were building a great program and need support,hope tp hear from you.

Later
Dave Woodbury

Reimer Racing
01-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi Kurt give me a call back. You can only get the one CDI for both sizes. I dont think they paid 170.00. But if it does cost that much go with the 12.00 one on ebay just going to have to wire it like we talked about on the phone. Like I said give me a call back. Paul

Reimer Racing
01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Kurt, I pm'd you the item numbers from Ebay. Call me and I will walk you thru the wiring. I checked out your website. You have and still build some bad *** cars. I just love the sleeper drag car. NICE WORK

01-10-2010, 06:24 AM
I have ordered both parts you linked me, thanks. Hope to have both pieces here soon and try for the install.
Glad you liked the cars we build, they are a ton of fun. I am hoping to have a new sleeper this year, a 1983 Malibu wagon with over 1000hp for delivering parts.

Kurt
Kurt, I pm'd you the item numbers from Ebay. Call me and I will walk you thru the wiring. I checked out your website. You have and still build some bad *** cars. I just love the sleeper drag car. NICE WORK

02-02-2010, 04:06 AM
Dave,
The new ignition box is in and working now. I did add the relay controlled by the key. Turns out the factory ignition needed the black wire with white trace to go "open" when key was on and the Ebay one needed ground supplied to run, a simple flip with one relay. It is much faster top end now and very exciting for my son, he is in heaven. Now I will need to speed up my Suzuki for my other boy eventually, or send it down the road on Craigslist and step up to the other model quad we spoke of. Is the faster one available in a 50cc? Could it be modified to be a 90cc when he turns 12? I have a need for speed that is shared by my son.......

Kurt

JPZ
05-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Hoping to revive this thread, and get a bit more info on how these mods all turned out.

I am looking to buy an '05 50 for my daughter, as her little kazuma isn't a very big machine, and she is needing more stability and suspension. But these don't go any faster than the electric power wheels toys the way they are!

I found the 90 c.d.i. box with one of the links provided. Seems easy enough.
The clutch limiter I am a bit lost on I guess. Does the clutch have to be disassembled?
If we are not thinking of racing, is the sprocket upgrade needed?

if you have any new info on this, I would really appreciate it! Thanks :)