PDA

View Full Version : HMF full vs Curtis Sparks x-6

RCWells
12-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Ok, so I've narrowed it down to either HMF full exhaust, Ballance Pro, Ironman, or Sparks x-6.

I love riding in the sand/dirt pits at Sand Hill, but will mix it up occasionally in the Ntl Forest, which is tight trails with a lot of lower/mid speed stuff. So it might even come out to a 50/50 deal here. If I was pressed, I might say it will be more open sand/dirt pit riding than woods. I'm not sure how much difference that really makes. I'm looking for real world input here, not necessarily what graphs tell you.

HMF seems to have better fit/finish, more refined. I love the sound of the HMF as well. Volume is not as important as the quality of the sound to me either. Loud is okay with me. I like the deep, throaty HMF sound, but not sure how the Sparks sounds. Also, HMF comes in colors, just a little bonus.

Anyone have weight specs on the HMF full? The Sparks is supposed to weigh ~6.5#s.

My motor is stock and I will of course rejet, and change air filter.

I know this has been beat to death, and I HAVE read up on this ad nauseam.

I would be grateful for any input here, the more the better.

quadboy-55
12-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Sparks X-6 all the way. the Bill ballance doesnt give you much top end for the sand. and HMF stopped making the Ironman. if you want something close to an iron man, get the sport, or you'll have to go used.

Ryan'07400ex
12-21-2009, 10:56 AM
This is a hard decison I think you would be happy with any of them. I do however think the Ballance is more "tuneable" compared to the x-6 and ironman. It can be exactly the same as the sport if you like which is some topend for the sand pits, or low/mid for the trails when you put the TRM in (takes me 5 minutes or less)

I have driven two 400exs with a ballance slip on and two with a x-6. my 400 has a sparks key and the slip on ballance and I feel like mine has more throttle response/low end than just the full system sparks (stock woodruff key) just sort of as a comparison. He's faster topped out but he had 15/39 gearing to my 14/39.

I think they both sound good but the Sparks is deeper in my opinion.

Sorry if any of this is confusing :)

RCWells
12-21-2009, 06:29 PM
No, that's exactly the type information I'm looking for.

I have only heard the Sparks on Youtube and of course it's difficult to tell the sound by that. But, it seems that the HMFs I have heard (including my own) have a nice sound to them.

But yeah, thanks for the comparison.

Also, I'd love to see votes on this even if you don't reply to the thread.

Thanks guys.

Ryan'07400ex
12-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by RCWells
But, it seems that the HMFs I have heard (including my own) have a nice sound to them.

If you have your own you could buy just the headers, such as the fmf powerbomb. it will make it a bit quieter to i've read on here. That is probably just as good as a full system... unless you just want a new color or whatever.

RCWells
12-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Nooo, my HMF is on my '09 Rubicon, it's a Penland system.

I want to buy one for my 400ex now.

81-Honda-04
12-22-2009, 08:45 PM
i got a full HMF sport system and it gives you the best all around power and really good sound. loud or quiet if you have a core in it. sparks is nice though but i would say its harder on your engine...

RCWells
12-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by 81-Honda-04
i got a full HMF sport system and it gives you the best all around power and really good sound. loud or quiet if you have a core in it. sparks is nice though but i would say its harder on your engine...

Harder on the engine how??

81-Honda-04
12-23-2009, 06:52 PM
well. your engine needs some back pressure to run smoother and less stress. and I have seen most people who get sparks need to rebuild there engine somewhat or get a new pipe.

RCWells
12-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok, so let's exclude the Sparks for a moment.

HMF makes the Ballance pro, Ironman and Sport series. Which of these should I go with then?

Does the Ballance truly make as much as the Sport without the TRM in place? Or would the Sport series be better for all around power?

81-Honda-04
12-23-2009, 10:48 PM
The HMF Sport system delivers the most horsepower & torque gain and maximum power gain throughout the RPM range. Also has great sound

The HMF Ballance is better for GNCC. It has the TRM core that let you tune your bike for overall power or extra low end torque.

Both are great but I would go with the sport if your not in GNCC.. It took me a long time to pick the system i wanted lol, like most people, bc theres a lot to choose from.

Ryan'07400ex
12-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by RCWells
Does the Ballance truly make as much as the Sport without the TRM in place? Or would the Sport series be better for all around power?

As far as I know the Ballance without the TRM is a Sport canister with A "ballance" plate on it. I got the ballance cause the low end option sounded good to me.

If you think you don't want the low end or if the regular sport is cheaper. It's your decision.

about the sparks blowing up engines faster; never heard of that once til he said it and my firends have had em for years now and the local shop runs them on all there 400's and doesn't have to bore often.

RCWells
12-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Well I definitely like the option of having more power on the low end as I will ride in the forest sometimes and the trails are pretty tight there. But if the Ballance doesn't make as much as the Sport w/o the TRM in place, then I think the Sport would be the better choice. IF the Sparks makes more than the Sport, then I suppose it would be the better choice.

I am really getting tired of all this decision making. Every time I think I've made up my mind, I read something else that confuses the issue even more.

I've been leaning toward the HMF from the start but the consensus seems to be that the Sparks system is THE exhaust to have for the 400ex.

I have almost pulled the trigger on this thing several times but right now just don't know which way to go.

Money is NOT the issue here at all, I could buy any of them I want. I had even considered the LTE dual system, but everyone seems to think it's not a great setup and may actually lose power on a stock motor. ???

ARGGGGHHH!

310ESR
12-24-2009, 09:28 AM
If you do mostly sand go sparks. Quit worrying about the sound it's all about the ride. The sound issue sounds like my wife asking me about which shoes look better with an outfit. JMO

RCWells
12-24-2009, 09:29 AM
I totally understand what you're saying about the sound, but I wouldn't buy an aftermarket exhaust if they all sounded like the stocker.

RCWells
12-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Awwwww EFFF it! I just ordered the Curtis Sparks system.

I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the input, advice, opinions and votes.

Now....for the Air filter......

Uni, K&N, Velocity, etc.??

81-Honda-04
12-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Theres a listing on here that has all the air filters' pros and cons after being tested.. illl see if i can find it. its pretty good.

81-Honda-04
12-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Here it is. Fallow the link on the thread

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=407796&highlight=airfilter