PDA

View Full Version : z400 timing goes out after it gets warm

bad ex
12-20-2009, 08:52 PM
i have a 04 z400 and i just put it back in time,i rode it for a hour and the timing skipped,so i put it back in time again,and it did it again,it has a manual timing chain tensioner and it was tight before it skipped time and was still tight after it skipped time,so my question is if the timing chain is tight how does the timing keep going out,i have done this 4 or 5 times and it just keeps going out of time,it will run longer if i baby it,but once it gets warm and i ride it hard it goes back out of time,i know the timing chain is not new but it just does'nt make sence,i read in the manual that the cdi box has a timing high speed timing advance but i have a nother one i can try,has anyone else ever had a problem like this?any help would be great!thanks kevin:devil:

06_hondatrx_400
12-20-2009, 09:51 PM
I would say your timing chain needs to be replaced, becouse it is more then likely streched. And when ur timing chain is streched it causes it to jump a tooth which will throw the timing off. Just my bit of knowledge.

GOTFEAR
12-21-2009, 10:17 PM
do it sound like a jack hamer if so its your t-chain

dayneseditz
01-01-2010, 05:45 PM
My buddy's did the same thing. we replaced the CHAIN ,TENSIONER and everything was good after that. The problem was more towards the tensioner.