PDA

View Full Version : New to the 400. Question about play in steering.

01exrider87
12-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey guys this is my first post here. I just got a 2001 400ex for relatively cheap. Only real things I found wrong with it were it needed a new battery, Most likely a clutch cable, it is pretty tight and from lurking on here for a bit it seems like it is a common problem.

The other thing i also noticed is there is a bit of play in the steering. Not a ton and you cant really notice it when you riding but when at a stop you can move the bars left and right before the wheels move. Is this a common problem with the ex's?

I am not too familiar with the steering on these. It almost looks to me like it could either be comming from the bottom of the shaft like where a busing could be or from the tie rods. If anyone has and experience with this problem and could tell me where to start it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jasonanderson1
12-20-2009, 08:39 PM
m friend has the same problem, i believe it means you need new a arm joints some where.

tri5ron
12-20-2009, 08:52 PM
most likely you just need to replace your tie-rod ends.
pretty common.
pretty cheap on ebay.

Ryan'07400ex
12-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
most likely you just need to replace your tie-rod ends.
pretty common.
pretty cheap on ebay.

Make sure you fix the it, its alot of trouble to keep a popped off end on with no zip ties with 3 miles to the house. ha

slightlybent47
12-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Try to tighten them up first. they may just be loose. If that don’t work they may need replacing.

And welcome to the fourm:D :D :D

gtt416ex
12-21-2009, 07:28 AM
your steering stem bearing could cause some play in the steering if its bad.

siggy konowaluk
12-21-2009, 07:55 AM
mine has play too but i think mine is the steering stem baring. im gonna look into getting a new baring and see what else needs to be done.

01exrider87
12-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Will definitly look into all of those things mentioned.

rooster300ex
12-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Wiggle the bottom of the steering stem to see if there is any play there. Tighten your tie rod ends on the spindles and steering stem. I bet your tie rods ends are wore out or loose. Don't forget the cotter pins and I always put alil loc tite on mine so they don't come loose. Oh yea if u have to replace the steering stem bearing. You have to take the c-clip out before u can knock the bearing out from the bottom up towards the quad.