PDA

View Full Version : LT80 Help...

howie1
12-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Looking for some help as I am stumped!!!

Recently bought a 97 LT80 for the kids for Christmas. When I got it bike started right up and ran fine but I wanted to go through it so it didn't blow up the first ride at the dunes.

Here is what has been done:

New bore .50 / Pro X Piston
Oil Block off (running GP7 at 32:1)
ON/OFF/Reserve Petcock installed
UNI air filter
New plug
General cleaning, etc.

Now the bike will not start with the electric start. I can get it to fire and idle with the pull start, but would be nice to have electric for the kids. Bike Idles fine but will bog and die on throttle. I thought it was a plugged main jet so I pulled it and everything looked clean (stock 92.5 main)... I bought a 90 main jet but have not yet installed (mostly riding down at Oregon dunes so I don't want to go too lean)

Any suggestions would be awesome... I am going to pull the reeds to take a peek but as it was running good before tear down I am baffled.

Thanks...

LT80
12-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the forums Howie1.

The 90 main will be fine.
Take the carb off and boil it. Might as well cut to the chase on that one. It's fixxed many this year.
I agree it sounded like a plugged jet.

GP7 is the bestest oil I've ever used. Altho it don't break a motor in well cuz it lubricates so much. Maybe a tank of regular petroleum based oil....I doubt this is the fix but I thought that I'd mention it.
Why don't you do a compression check just for the fun of it.

Which way did you point the arrow on the piston?
So ya got a oil block off. Did you remove the drive to the pump?

starter:: is it spinning the motor fast?
Lets's start there. :)

howie1
12-20-2009, 11:05 AM
LT80 thanks for the reply...

Arrow on the piston went towards the back (exhaust side).

The previous owner did the oil block off and petcock, I guess I can double check he disconnected the pump drive.

Good advice on the oil, I will mix up some and run a tank through.

When I boil the carb should I use straight water or add a little vinegar to the solution?

I have my battery tender on the battery to make sure it isn't run down, but the starter was spinning pretty fast, it turns it over but motor just won't catch.

LT80
12-20-2009, 06:02 PM
"should I use straight water or add a little vinegar to the solution?"
Hmm, never thought of pickling em...j/k :D
Might as well try. The acidity may help clean it.

howie1
01-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Well... I finally got everything done from the first post but I am still having the same issues.

Pulled the head and the piston was installed correctly. Retorqued to 115 in. lbs.

Switched over to conventional 2 stroke for a tank to help break in.

Boiled the carb. Still has brand new 90 main. Stock pilot.

Changed out the reeds to boyesen 2 stage.

Still having the same issue as prior. Idles perfect but at about 1/2 throttle it starts to bog and it dies. I haven't had a chance to run a compression test (buddy has one so next weekend I can have that done.)

Plug is black so I don't think I am running lean, I am at a complete loss. The bike ran fine before we tore it down and now we are having this issue. Could it be a bad bore? We haven't even had a real chance to screw up the break in because we can't get it to run consistently.

I just don't know what to tackle next????