PDA

View Full Version : metal guys i want input.. SS vs ALUM

woodsracer144
12-19-2009, 09:50 PM
ok guys i want input... post and negs agains stainless and alum.. in both a oil tank and a air box....

honda400ex2003
12-19-2009, 10:12 PM
pound for pound aluminum is lighter. lol. sorry just got done reading the muffler bearing one again. lol. anyway for the same thickness of each the aluminum will be a bit lighter and may be a bit easier to bend into the shapes you want. it has weaker strength than the ss but also has better ductility when compared to it. thus making it more pliable. steve

woodsracer144
12-19-2009, 10:19 PM
huh... i havnt done alot of work with alum... i just started on SS... and have alot of exp. with mild steel... i was welding about a 1/8 inch SS and i had a hard time getting a good bead going that wasnt too hot... i didnt preheat it at all also...

I think im going to make a SS no link intake for myslef thought...

honda400ex2003
12-19-2009, 10:57 PM
stainless is tough to weld without grinding off the oxide layer that is on it first, welding this without a proper mask is harmful to your lungs and asphogus. I would not recommend this. i would strongly recommend using some aluminum or a sheet metal peice and just bend it to how you want it then finish welding the sides of it. just an option for you. steve

honda400ex2003
12-19-2009, 11:00 PM
also i would strongly recommend making an oil tank out of aluminum instead of ss. it dissipates heat faster than ss does. there is a reason the aftermarket uses aluminum for this stuff instead of ss or anything else. steve

12-20-2009, 12:07 AM
i thought this was about metal band fans lmao i thought you were starting a band called stainless steel or aluminum hahahaha

woodsracer144
12-20-2009, 08:28 AM
alum has a layer of oxi on it you have to get off as well.... i thought ss would be cooler cause the kn intakes on trucks... i also have a very powerful exhaust system on when i weld